SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swathi_kappagantula

Great room layout - help!

SK
4 years ago

Hi! We are gut renovating an older home and opening up the back area with addition for q combined kitchen/living/dining. We won’t have a separate formal living or dining on the main level, but will have a separated library/office primarily for my husband who works at home often.

I’ve always wanted an open area like this as it suits the way we entertain and live with young children. But I’m really struggling with conceptualizing the open layout and need to give a definitive answer about where the fireplace would go.

Kitchen layout is shown in drawing, mud room/side entry to the left. In the main area we need to fit:
-spacious and large family sectional
-fireplace
-upright piano
-long dining table, ideally for 10-12
-two large pieces of artwork, one presumably above the piano and one above fireplace
-reasonably large tv wall mounted, but not above fireplace (would love a sightline to kitchen without tv being only focal point)

Currently the back wall is all windows to the backyard, as well as some on the left side opening to the deck. I would be grateful for any suggestions. I feel like our requirements are reasonable enough for the space, which is about 25’ across by 20’ long on the right side of the room. I’m loathe to lose windows due to none on right side at all, but willing to compromise for the perfect setup that I seek to find when I see other homes. Please share your wisdom, many thanks!

Comments (7)