SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wcarolyn69

Great Room window treatments and layout help (please!!)

c p
4 years ago

Hello Friends,

We have recently bought a house build in 1992 with all of its oak-y glory. We have done our best to paint everything that is oak to white. However, we have oak Andersen windows that are in good condition. While I would love to cover the windows in shutters, it is not in the budget (by a lot). Window treatments need to be outside mount and I have been able to cover the rest of the house in shades and curtains. The great room is giving me trouble with the curved window. I am at a loss to tie both sides of the room together.

We have moved all of our old furniture into this room as well and are looking to replace. I would love suggestions on type of furniture and layout, as this room is pretty large. Two kids and a dog have me looking for fairly inexpensive as it will be destroyed. I am unattached to basically everything in this room with the exception of the paint color, which is SW city loft (and the photo bombing dog).

Can't wait to hear your suggestions as we are tired of living in a fish bowl!

Don't mind the terrible pictures and toys everywhere, #reallife

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• c p
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

not all my pictures were posted--

looking in from kitchen

• c p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

closer view of back wall and troublesome window

• Related Discussions

Help with great room paint colors and window treatments, please!

Q

Comments (14)
    My kitchen cabs are maple and my granite/floor are gray. We painted our LR in BM London Fog and I like it alot. Our accent colors are gold/tan, but you could pick a green that goes well with whatever gray you pick and do accent walls or other surrounding rooms. In my case (center hall colonial) we did the foyer/stairs/upstairs hall in a light gold/tan. The kitchen is a darker version of the gold/tan. The LR is light gray (London Fog) the DR off LR is 2 chips darker as is the FR--Plymouth Rock. The powder room is on same chip but darker--Waynesboro Taupe. I kept all the ceilings white as well as trim. I felt daring doing accent walls/different colors on same floor, etc...but it coordinates and came out great...I love it. Maybe start with the green in your chairs and then go around the fan deck and find a coordinating gray.
    ...See More

Great room window treatment help!!

Q

Comments (4)
    That is awesome atkillery!!! I don't know how you did that mock-up, but it is amazing!! I have the hardest time picturing how things are going to look. Would you mind sharing how you added those drapes and shades?? Thank you so much for your input, I love how that looks!!
    ...See More

Please help with furniture and layout in Great Room!

Q

Comments (1)
    Check out the Home Decorating forum for more of an audience. There are a bunch of VERY talented people who hang out there. It looks like a great house.... have fun, and I hope you make wonderful memories there.
    ...See More

Help Please. Living Room Window Treatments. Blues...

Q

Comments (3)
    I like the darker one because of the contrast. Sorry, but I gotta say this. The rod placement should be the same around the room. The short window looks chopped and out of place.
    ...See More
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Cute pooch.

Great view.

Would not want to cover the windows during the day -- only at night when the lights are on and you may want privacy from a passing peeping tom.

The newer stark white mini blinds do not have those awful strings anymore and you can mount them above the windows on the window frame. Leave them open and enjoy your view.

Add a couple of sun catchers to the arc shaped window.

Consider setting your sofas at right angles to each -- one with the back to the kitchen and the other a few inches way rather than touching the exterior wall/windows.

Where you have your tv, consider adding a single deep/wide -- wall to wall - board shelf about waist high on the wall between that short wall and the wall behind your sofa for your tv to set atop, leaving space below to park the rest of the stuff. You could paint the shelf (and even the wall above it) black.

https://lovecreatecelebrate.com/how-to-build-your-own-floating-shelves/

c p thanked suezbell
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I think there's probably a better furniture arrangement than this, but the room doesn't look so bad. Furniture's a little matchy and TV seems far away.

For the windows, hang your rod just above the molding on the rectangular windows all the way around and get curtains that go to the floor. Leave the arched window uncovered. Even curtains here will get costly. Since you'll be closing them, you'll need at least 2 1/2 times the width of the windows to make it work. The good news is you won't need custom.

If you want to make your own super cheap and very casual curtains, try these no-sew drop cloth curtains:

The Easiest DIY Drop Cloth Curtains · More Info

c p thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the best material for kids and dogs is leather and please not brown there are 100s of colors of leather do one of them I don’t know if you have an isse withheat or bright sunlight if you do some solar shades will be a good idea and then some nice drapes for nightime privacy if you really need it there.

c p thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Using your current furniture, I would try putting the loveseat in an L-shape with the sofa, at the edge of the rug facing the arched window, then move the TV to the wall where the loveseat was. Mount it on an articulating bracket so you can pull it out to watch.

• c p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your input.

The current furniture is old and we had it in our previous home. We are looking to get something new. How do you think a sectional would work in this room? The room is large--each of the rectangle windows are 37 in wide with 4 on each wall and some space in between, for perspective.

Patricia, I do like leather-particularly the cognac leather, but was not sure if it would be too orange in this space. We have cream leather in our other living space and could potentially move that into this space instead. What other color would you recommend? I do not always love the style of the traditional leather, I prefer a more modern leather style. It does get a little chilly in the room in the winter (hence the faux fireplace the TV is currently resting on) so solar shades would be a good idea, do you have any suggestions on colors?

Suezbell, thanks so much. Yes, we love the trees but once autumn comes the neighbors behind us are able to see right in. Just looking for a little privacy. Love the idea of the floating shelves.

Groveraxle, LOVE the curtain idea! I have thought about mounting the curtains under the arched window, but I did have one concern that I should have mentioned from the beginning. Can something be mounted on the small piece of wood that separates the windows? It is only about 2 inches wide (see attached picture)--I just don't want to damage anything.

Also we have a door to the outside on both sides of the room with windows, would you cover these as well (and how)?

Thanks so much!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

C p, my suggestions for seating arrangement will work with whatever seating you end up with in here. Basically, I'm saying to surround the rug with seating and put the TV where the loveseat currently is. If you want a sectional, you certainly can have one. I'd put it in front of the two sets of windows, then perhaps put some swivel chairs facing the arched window, with a big square coffee table in between.

You can do one long curtain rod on that back wall. Just attack the brackets to the wall between the window casings and not the casings themselves. Depending on what kind of curtain header you have, your rod may have to be a bit higher than the casing anyway.

If the door needs coverage, I'd probably use roman shades mounted right on the door and sidelite.

c p thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

• c p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

So why not look at Italian made leather you will find much better choices of styles and colors I would not do a sectional I still think a sofa and 2 chairs is always a better choice . Cognac color is a nice choice for a modernpiece and a rug will help break up the floor color. Check out Natuzzi for styles and good quality .I love cognac mixed with blues . The solar shades work best in darker colors which allow the view to be better than white but solar shdes are used for controlling the heat from the sun and the UV rays not for keeping the room warm in winter.

c p thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    4 years ago

Hey There: getting back to your window treatments, you should opt for an inside mount solution. Keep the window trim visible and don't cover it up. So in your case you can go with roller shades, that easily can be inside mount - motorize them with the new lithium battery packs that last 6 to 9 month on a single charge. After that you just plug the roller shade in like your smart phone or table. Easy to use and convenient as it get. Another option are bottom up top down pleated/honeycomb blinds. They are very versatile and you can adjust them to your privacy and light needs at any time.

www.PleatedBlindsStore.com

c p thanked Fenstermann LLC
  • okibujp
    4 years ago

There are a lot of windows to cover which will be very expensive, so I would advice you to get your furniture first and leave the window coverings for last. To me it would be easier to coordinate coverings with the new furniture rather than the other way around. With that said, if you decide to cover the windows first, here is a photo of a windows similar to yours.

c p thanked okibujp
  • okibujp
    4 years ago

I guessed at the dimensions of your great room for a layout that might work.

c p thanked okibujp
  • c p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the visual Okibujp. The room is approx. 22' X 17'.

The room is an addition, the opening to the room is from the kitchen and is about 9'. I am thinking it was once a sliding door to the outside. We have left the kitchen open, without a table. I am wondering if it would be awkward to come through the large opening to the back of the couch?

Fenstermann, I love the idea of an inside mount shade, however they will not work for the type of windows we have. I do feel like it is a shame to cover the molding we just had painting, which is why we have left the windows alone. I am just looking for a little privacy once the trees drop leaves and we do not have coverage.

Patricia, I love blues and thought the cognac would go nicely. Regarding the solar shades, they would need to be outside mount. How would you do that with the far windows, with the curved top window and also draperies? In your experience, would leather fade without the solar shades?

Thanks again for your input!

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Wow, what a lovely room! The light and the trees outside it are just staggering. How sad that all the furniture seems to have its back to the windows!

I always recommend that you start with function first: How do you want to use this room? Is it for lounging in? Do you want the kids to be able to do their homework? Is this your morning sanctuary? Once you decide the purpose of the room, then decide on furniture.

I want to provide more help, but I'm a little stuck because you've shoved all your extra furniture in here, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this room is. As for window coverings, it is possible to mount blinds to the insides of these window frames, I believe. We have blinds like that on ours. Good luck!

c p thanked User
  • c p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We do love this room.

Basically this room is the heart of our home (other than the kitchen of course).

This is where the kids play toys, build forts, wrestle around. It is where the dog feels most comfortable. It is for napping, relaxing, watching TV. It is also where guests congregate, as this room is directly off the kitchen.

The windows have a warning label on the inside stating not to install treatments on the inside of the window as it affects the integrity and voids the warranty. I meant to take a picture of the exact wording but forgot. I will try to post later.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Ah! I understand. So it says not to attach directly to the windows, and that makes sense. Ours are attached on the underside of the top trim, so don't interact with the windows themselves. However, I'm replacing them one at a time with roller shades (for better light restriction) and mounting those on the outside. The trim is not part of your window system, so attaching something to it will not void your window warranty. But it makes sense to be cautious.

If this is intended as a play/wrestle area, it does make sense to leave an area open, but perhaps designate a section, rather than leaving the whole center open and making your furniture (and those seated in it) into wallflowers?