SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

New Art Deco front door transom dilemma. Need ideas. Pics posted

bridget helm
4 years ago

Background info:

My brother-in-law owns a house that was built in the 1960s. It is very mid century modern. The original front door was all wood and perfect for the house. perfect scale. perfect design. But it was rotting and falling apart so he wanted a new front door. I tried to convince him to restore the original door or have a new wood door made exactly like the original door. But he insisted on an Iron and glass front door. when I went to his house to see the iron and glass door he chose from the iron company’s catalog, I was shown a scrolled renaissance almost fleur-de-lis looking iron and glass front door. I knew I had to save the architectural integrity of this mid century modern home, so I convinced him to let me sketch something that was more suited to the architecture. He didn’t like anything I sketched. He said he wanted something more fantastic and special. Mid century modern is more simple/not “fantastic” in a grand type of way, so I started to sketch Art Deco art nouveau doors. He like them and chose one. So the door is Art Deco.

Dilemma:

The original door was 9 feet tall with an 8 feet tall “faux” transom. The transom was actually a panel laid in front of the framing. The inside of the house directly behind the top 4 feet of the faux transom is ceiling and beautiful crown molding. The bottom 4 feet of the transom on the interior was just Sheetrock. It’s hard to explain, but basically we could only have a 4 foot glass and iron transom rather than an 8foot transom. Now that it’s installed, the scale looks off and there’s just a 4 foot tall panel of wood painted white to match the brick right above the glass and iron transom. It’s driving me crazy. I don’t know what to do with the 4foot panel.

The installers are coming back next week to finish up. Should i have the trim carpenter make an Art Deco header of some sort? Should we hire someone to build some sort of portico? I just don’t know what to do with it. I don’t think it would bother me as much if it was 2 feet tall, but because it is the exact same height as the transom, it’s bothering me. The scale is all thrown off now.

Before looking at the pics, things to consider:

We are getting a 36” tall antique oxidized Art Deco sconce to go beside the door in place of the existing 50” tall lantern. There will be unlacquered brass Art Deco knobs. They’ll weather in time. And we are thinking about weathering some of the edges of the iron on the door in the corners with that gold waxy smudge stuff you use on picture frames and light fixtures so that the iron doesn’t look so perfect shiny and new.

for some reason the pics aren’t posting so I’ll post them in a reply to this post

Comments (19)