SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

So, I Found that Art Deco Floor; What To Do About Counter?

Laurie
13 years ago

More than a few of you responded to my thread about the art deco encaustic tile floor I discovered under the existing vinyl floor of the house I just closed on.

I had already decided on using Kraftmaid's "Peppercorn" in Quartersawn Oak for the cabinets. I may change it to Cherry because I think the grain of the Oak is too busy and fighting the pattern of this floor.

I had also already picked my counter; which I can not now use because the color scheme was based on something I had chosen prior to finding this floor and now I'm completely stumped as to what will go with this.

I need help. Everything I look at seems too busy or too dark. I need to lighten things up. The kitchen isn't very large; about 16' x 12' and doesn't get the best light right now although this will change hopefully as I'm replacing one of the windows with a large glass door and adding a lot of overhead lighting.

Here's another shot - different than the last I posted

Anyhoo - I could use suggestions.

I prefer granite, and am looking for something light in tone, with quiet movement since this floor is quite busy and I think I'd like it to be what you first look at when you walk in. Trying to keep the kitchen *somewhat* in the style of the house which is 1915 Craftsman.

BTW - colors are a bit not true to life in the photo. They are black, sort of a buttery yellow and terra cotta. Someone thought the black looked aubergine in another picture I posted. Not purple, definitely black.

Having said that, I'm open to suggestions. I'm keeping an open mind this time, in spite of my preference.

Comments (37)