SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Boxerpups, I Could Use Help - Art Deco Floor Discovered

Laurie
14 years ago

I think I have to rethink my whole kitchen design. We've just discovered this art deco terracotta tile under the existing vinyl flooring in the house I closed on yesterday.

The colors are a bit more saturated in person, sort of a marigold yellow, black and terracotta red.

I had fully intended on a modified/transitional Craftsman style to the kitchen as the house is that style; built in 1915 or thereabouts. However, it does also have some vague Deco elements to it as well as it had been remodeled at that period (a bathroom with lilac/black hex floor tiling - rounded archways to several rooms, plaster work on the walls which does not "feel" like the Craftsman period, etc.).

Anyway since we found this tile and really like it a lot it seems a shame to get rid of it. I realize it isn't the most comfortable to walk on but I figured I could get a gel mat to have underfoot while cooking.

We're going to take up the entire vinyl floor tomorrow to see if it's in good enough condition to save.

In the interim I'm having a big problem finding photos online of anything similar to this to help me get started in a different direction. I think I can still go with the same cabinetry (Kraftmaid, a Shaker style in a very dark tone "Peppercorn", which is nearly black) but I picked oak before since it was more characteristic of the Craftsman style. I think I'll have to change that to a wood with much less grain.

So - Boxerpups, you seem to have a plethora of photos at your fingertips and I'm hoping you might have something helpful. I'm not looking for a glitzy art deco look, nothing shiny and metallic. Something more subdued would fit the bill, in keeping with the muted tones of the floor (which I hope posted correctly, I don't seem to be able to figure this out and I hate that you can't go back and edit your posts here).

Thanks!

Comments (29)