SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
logansmum

Craft Art wood counters in main prep space--will I regret it?

logansmum
12 years ago

The perimeter area will be my primary prep space with an undermounted prep sink. Current plan is for getting the Craft Art walnut DIY planks and "waterloxing" the heck out of it on top, bottom, sides. Supposedly, then water from the sink won't be a problem.

Here is what I like about it:

Looks: LOVE the look of wooden top with painted cabinets.

Money: It's more cost effective--about half the price of a stone for same area.

Here are my concerns/worries:

Transition: What does the transition between the wood counterop and a tile backsplash look like? Do you just caulk that edge like it was stone counter? Will that caulk look cheesy and obvious?

Cleanup: Since it's my prep area and it will surround both sides of the rangetop, there will be daily cleanup. Will the daily cleaning up with water of that space, eventually make the surface dull and icky? My kitchen table finish is kinda gross from 10 years of being wiped down with a wet rag everyday--worn in some places and almost gooey in others. I plan to strip and refinish it with the waterlox as well. Hopefully, it's just the poor original finish on the table, but it gives me pause as to the whole water and wood thing. And I can't clean up a prep area without water.

We aren't particularly neat cooks, but we are the habit of using cutting boards for prep, so I don't think slicing them up will be an issue.

Has anyone made heavy use of a "waterloxed" wooden surface for a number of years? Do you have any advice, regrets, etc? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (41)