SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Art for my Florida home.....so herons are not art?

eld6161
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

Eventually I would like to find art in traveling or galleries, but until then, I would like to have something on my blank walls.

My cousin pointed out that she doesn't consider the herons art, and that my furniture is not beachy and they don't belong.

She has a point. My furniture isn't beachy.

I guess you could say I took this to hear and I agree but didn't think that it eliminated my idea of beach type art.

My cousin has always been interested in decirating, her house is lovely, although for me it is too colorful for me.. Kind if like a to Disney World. I appreciate it while I am there but couldn’t live in it 24/7.

That said, Inwould like to have some color on the walls.

1. What should I put over the sofa?

2. What should I put across from the sofa?

I am having something similar painted by my neighbor.

But they will go on walls opposite.

Are they major faux pas? Justin asking. They are in the works and my neighbor is excited to

dinthem, so no turning back.

My great room. Glass coffee table and end tables on order.

Comments (50)

• Allison0704
    6 months ago

Your palette is sand and sky, so not sure why she thinks it isn't beach-like furniture. It's not the cutesy, over the top beach look. The herons will be fine. I also don't know how she doesn't consider them art.

FWIW, my sister's new beach house has herons and other beach art, but also other art and accessories that could be use in another location and not scream beach. There is a way to do this without going full on beach rental.

eld6161 thanked Allison0704
  • Jinx
    6 months ago

I disagree with your cousin. Heron art has long been featured in houses, and certainly not just in a coastal aesthetic. They’re classic.

eld6161 thanked Jinx
  • Related Discussions

Red orb in my garden art picture

Q

Comments (6)
    It looks wonderful! I had 3 of those orbs, but they were in the cargo trailer that was stolen from my yard.
    ...See More

What do you think of this piece of art for FP?

Q

Comments (63)
    The trees are dull up there-- that's it! What I couldn't articulate.. I've put the chair in my bedroom & really like it in there with the double matted Audubon in there now, Snookums. I'll get another shot. Junco, here is a pic I played around with adding the sconces. I would have to hang the picture to get more height & hopefully more presence. Olychick, hate dogs?!? I do see that the dogs don't have quite the presence that big bird has. Shee, I agree about the tree picture. It's a filler, not statement piece. Thank you Elizabethpa & pattixlynn- I'm glad y'all like them!! Im trying to work with what I have & not buy something just to fill a place. I would like to find something else for the FP, maybe another big Audubon- but having a party next weekend & can't have blank FP. I don't think my sconces will be here in time for the party:(
    ...See More

Day 25 - My House in August: Art

Q

Comments (38)
    We call him "the Green Man" but he isn't really green anymore. He's a woodblock on fabric, done by the Art Professor at the University of Taiwan in the late 60s. DH purchased him at an art gallery on an r and r in Taiwan when he was stationed in Vietnam. It cost him $50. He was only 19. What 19 year old soldier buys a picture like this? Most bring home Elvis on black velvet! It's always hung in our house mostly in the dining room.
    ...See More

How flexible can I be with colors in my artwork?

Q

Comments (32)
    I completely agree with Lefty and IdaClaire. Art is not decor. It can certainly exalt interiors, but to relegate it to the category of decor would be remiss. To do so is to overlook the creative force that informs it. Art teaches us about the universe of which we are a part, who we were, are and aspire to become in the continuum. Art is. And it is content to preside alone. However, I do think it appreciates she who selects it as much as she who makes it manifest. Short answer is, no, Art most certainly need not "match" a room. In fact, I think Art would view the entire notion as ridiculous. To determine what we like in art, we must view a lot of it - and in person. As in face to face, real, original art. From what you've posted, you seem to be drawn to portraits. Manhattan has a tremendous art scene, so opportunity to explore your tastes abounds for you. You might have to get out of your comfort zone to do so. Art often requires that of us. And what an exciting prospect it is! In terms of how to arrange groupings of pieces, there are many formulas - many of which can be found here on Houzz - but it really comes down to what arrangement pleases you. I recommend you look into the Golden Ratio for insights on scale and proportional arrangements. Humans tend to be hard wired to look for that ratio - albeit subconsciously - as we find it very pleasing. It's applications are endless.
    ...See More
  • deegw
    6 months ago

I like the heron! A lot. I don't think he's wide enough to be over the sofa by himself but surely there is room for him on another wall or you can add other items above the sofa.

Your room doesn't have to follow a theme. People use botanicals or birds or animals in decorating all the time. IMO, strict adherence to beachy or woodsy or whatever decor looks kitschy.

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • Jinx
    6 months ago

Just showing off my heron — vintage brass we found in an antique mall. :)

eld6161 thanked Jinx
  • OllieJane
    6 months ago

I really like the heron art too. Are your end tables going on each end of the sofa? What is on the other walls? Are your two chairs the same fabric as your sofa?

eld6161 thanked OllieJane
  • nicole___
    6 months ago

I have a large framed blue heron print, currently in my living room, a photo taken by my husband then put through a program called "water colors". They are VERY popular! If anything you'll be right in style! The print you've chosen is a lovely tone on tone with the room colors. The price is about as low as you can go.....nice! And...no two are alike....here's mine.....in my mountain house. Oh...and the photo was taken here....in Colorado. Since it has a fish in it's beak, it made "me" think hunting. 😊

Not to disrespect your cousin...but with decorating....anything goes....

eld6161 thanked nicole___
  • bpath
    6 months ago

Tell Audubon herons are not art. Avian art is beautiful!

eld6161 thanked bpath
  • Tina Marie
    6 months ago

If it were me, I would not want my home to have a "beachy theme". So, I wouldn't want beach furniture, only beach art, etc. I would still want collected items that meant something to us and our life (things collected on trips, family pieces, antiques, etc.). Mix in a few "beachy" items.

I cannot understand why someone would think heron pictures are not art? I have seen many beautiful heron pieces.

FWIW, my sister's new beach house has herons and other beach art, but also other art and accessories that could be use in another location and not scream beach. There is a way to do this without going full on beach rental. THIS!!

eld6161 thanked Tina Marie
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    6 months ago

To clarify, herons will flank the den

• eld6161
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Nicole, mine will be painted by a neighbor who does water colors.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Ollie, end tables on either side.

I am getting this coffee table and the end tables. Just couldn't deal with trying to mix and match. Glass tops.

They are called Heron (lol) from Ethan Allan in platinum finish.

Since this is a small space, I didn't want heavy wood next to the heavy wood of the dining table.

Yes, I had everything done in the same “oatmeal” fabric. Again Ethan Allan.

I have a light blue sofa on order that will go the den.

• Bunny
    6 months ago

Herons are not art? Perhaps your cousin is not a design expert.

I don't quite understand the concept of themed rooms/homes.

eld6161 thanked Bunny
  • maire_cate
    6 months ago

Nicole's print is stunning and completely eliminates the stereotypical 'only beach art at the beach' issue. I think a watercolor by your neighbor would be perfect - you just need to decide what size would be best.

eld6161 thanked maire_cate
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Maire, the frame size is 18x 24. But I will of course have a mat.

• Kswl
    6 months ago

Okay, now the heron I painted in art class is offended 😆

And believe me, I fully realize how gaudy it is but my son —-who LIVES in Florida— loved it and hung it in his living room, bless his heart.

eld6161 thanked Kswl
  • nicole___
    6 months ago

Oh...you can choose anything and she'll paint it! That changes everything....I would not go with a heron. Too ordinary. Hobby Lobby sold heron prints last year. Maybe something a little more custom...Perigold.com might give you some ideas....

eld6161 thanked nicole___
  • jb1586
    6 months ago

Eld, as everyone has noted above, your furniture is neutral, and can definitely be ”beachy”, or not, with the appropriate accessories and artwork. One of our favorite things to do, whether in Florida at our condo or back up north, is to go to local art shows, that, especially now in Florida, are happening in different towns almost every weekend. You can acquire wonderful prints from local artists, not expensively,. It is alot of fun for us to remember what show we got each print, or piece of pottery from. And yes, herons can be beautiful artwork! We have a few ourselves, they aren’t kitchy, or mass produced.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Nicole, herons are in the works.

I am also planning a gallery wall opposite the sofa. I know. Confusing.

My next thread will be for those pictures.

Jb, I do hope to shop around at some point. But I like the idea of buying the art from my neighbor and persinalizing it to my specifications.

• pricklypearcactus
    6 months ago

So glad you're going with the herons. Your cousin sounds like a narrow minded decorator who doesn't deserve to spend time in your beach house. I love the idea of heron art, and the examples shown. For that matter, I love any nature related art (animals, landscapes, flowers, etc). The colors in your space look great and absolutely beach appropriate. I think there is a pretty wide variety of beach appropriate decorating. Perhaps your cousin had her mind set on something different and struggles to consider anything other than what she has set in her mind. Oh and your coffee table choice is perfect.

eld6161 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Olychick
    6 months ago

I think herons themselves ARE pieces of art, so images of them have to be!

eld6161 thanked Olychick
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 months ago

Liking the idea of flowers rather than herons (definitely very Floridian, BTW) because they're more colorful. With so much neutral, a bit of color would be refreshing.

Rather than a 'beachy' theme - how about 'tropical'?

eld6161 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Rory (Zone 6)
    6 months ago

Herons are beautiful, as are all birds (vultures included). I love avian art of all types. I live in PA and have a Elephant sized Pelican in my entryway. There are no Pelicans in PA. BTW we have plenty of Herons in PA and we are nowhere near the "beach".

eld6161 thanked Rory (Zone 6)
  • 3katz4me
    6 months ago

I love the herons!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 months ago

Not to disrespect your cousin...but with decorating....anything goes....

I disagree with this. "Anything goes" is not decorating IMHO. But neither are ironclad rules! Obviously people can do whatever they want, it is their home, etc etc. But if people are interested in decorating advice, I find answers along the lines of "do what makes you happy" not all that helpful. What makes them happy and what they are asking about is how to make their room look better to a trained eye.

My 2 cents.

Your cousin may be reacting to the fact that herons are so common/popular that they are almost cliche. OTOH, they have been used in decor/art forever, and I am guessing they are native to your area? We have blue heron in our backyard. The first time we saw our house, one flew over the pond on cue and I was smitten. I would use heron here and would arm wrestle anyone who dissed me. Add to that, your are using original art. To me, original art always gets a pass!

I agree that your color palette leans beachy but your furniture is not. I think a balance is good. You don't want to hang a surfboard that says "welcome to the beach!' but you don't want it to look like Westchester either. I might add in some tortoise or wicker or rattan or rope or bamboo somewhere.

eld6161 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Arapaho-Rd
    6 months ago

I'm no expert but we have many here. I'd say if the herons make you happy, then hang them on your wall. They would look lovely in your room.

eld6161 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • jill302
    6 months ago

Really like the heron, the art has a classic style, not limited to a kitschy beach house theme. Looking at your photos, the art will fit right in.

That said, I have a heron painting at my house, I also have two vintage seascapes from my grandparent’s home. They loved the ocean, spent a lot if time boating off the CA coast. My other art is not related to the ocean at all.

eld6161 thanked jill302
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    6 months ago

My family lived in a beach town for over 20 years. We didn’t make a point to decorate for the beach and I never understood why that is a thing. Make your house what you want it to be.

eld6161 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Yayagal
    6 months ago

Defy your cousin, lol!!!!!! We have your back!

eld6161 thanked Yayagal
  • czarinalex
    6 months ago

I prefer the term 'coastal' to beachy. LOL.

Agree with everyone. Nothing wrong with the herons. I have the same Audubon pelican as Rory in my LR.

eld6161 thanked czarinalex
  • nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    6 months ago

Similar to 1929Spanish, I’ve lived in a beach community for over 20 years and have seen little to no beach themes in non-vacation weekly rentals. (Surfboard storage doesn’t count.)

My parents had no ”beachy” in their beach house, both when they used it for vacations and after it became their full-time residence.

eld6161 thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
  • yeonassky
    6 months ago

Art is a personal thing to me. If you like Herons then they belong.

Art is not like a scarf or an outfit that needs to match.

A simple reply to a person who doesn't agree with your taste is a shrug and saying Well I like or love them so they stay.

eld6161 thanked yeonassky
  • Allison0704
    6 months ago

The EA Heron (too funny!) table is beautiful. No doubt you have good taste. Don't allow one comment to sway or bother you.

When we were looking at Florida (beach) houses online, only two come to mind that were not all out the normal coastal or beach look. One was a RE agent's house full of antiques (my kind of house!) and the other was a Rosemary Beach house that looked like it belonged in the mountains (went Pending quickly). Most of the other houses all look THE SAME. Be glad you are different. I am.

eld6161 thanked Allison0704
  • SeattleMCM
    6 months ago

Your cousin is wrong. Art is whatever that means to you. if you like the Herons, keep them. If they don't fill the wall space very well, get huge frames with matting (large matting makes small prints look amazing). If you want it to be "beachy", be sure the frames are light color wood.

Your furniture is on its way to being beachy because the soft "sandy" colors are correct. But you need more accessories. Some light wood or woodlike things (wicker, cane, sisal rugs, baskets, etc). Drifwood accents. Thick bubbly handblown glass. Things like that.

If it's still not beachy enough, get a new dining set. But really, I think all you need are the right accessories.

eld6161 thanked SeattleMCM
  • Arapaho-Rd
    6 months ago

Be glad you're different. I am.

Allison, I couldn't agree more.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 months ago

We didn’t make a point to decorate for the beach and I never understood why that is a thing.

I notice people only do that if it is a vacation home.

eld6161 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    6 months ago

One, You are not decorating a cheap fish joint with themed junk.

Two, Art stands alone.

eld6161 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • rubyclaire
    6 months ago

I really like marsh art, botanicals (and herons) for a coastal feel. And then mix in whatever else you love. The 2019 Southern Living Show Home on Crane Island was such a well-done interpretation of a coastal home.

Southern Living Home

eld6161 thanked rubyclaire
  • deegw
    6 months ago

rubyclaire, do you have a link for your first pic? I like marsh art as well, there was a large framed canvas reproduction of a stormy marsh at Ballard that I hemmed and hawed about for years. It was discontinued before I pulled the trigger and I'm still kicking myself.

• Re Tired
    6 months ago

What you have is a great, neutral start. And I don't know why a Florida house HAS to be "beachy". I live on the Sound in the NW and love herons. So I have a mass produced one in my garden, one on canvas from a local artist, and my DIL just gave me a lovely glass mosaic, also done by a local artist. Also set out beautiful shells I've found on the beach during the summer months, but I certainly wouldn't call my decor beachy, just stuff I enjoy.

eld6161 thanked Re Tired
  • rubyclaire
    6 months ago

@deegw I remember that piece from Ballard - loved it, too!

The piece I shared is from a gallery in Jacksonville, Florida:

http://stellersgallery.com/art/details/sunset-marsh#.Yi-uTGQpDDs

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 months ago
  • rubyclaire
    6 months ago

mtn - kinda like heron art...:)

• OutsidePlaying
    6 months ago

Eld, just chiming in to say I like your herons and agree they are NOT a faux pas. I’m one to move art around sometimes, so if you eventually decide on another piece later, I’ll bet you find another spot in your house where the herons would be right at home.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • arcy_gw
    6 months ago

Art is personal. No one can tell you what you would enjoy looking at DAILY in your home. Maybe don't invite that friend over--visit at her home.

• cmm1964
    6 months ago

I will add here as I live on an island in Florida. This is my heron art. I was drawn to it immediately. My house is done in lighter furniture tones but I dont feel it is beachy. I also have artwork with bluebirds as well so I guess I am mixing my birds and habitats. I moved from the PA/OH where i had bluebird families inhabit my birdhouses every summer. I loved watching them and miss them.

eld6161 thanked cmm1964
  • runninginplace
    6 months ago

"I prefer the term 'coastal' to beachy. LOL"

Me too! This discussion is of interest to me as we are finishing a gut remodel of our house that we bought as a second home. I decorated fast and inexpensively with a lot of beachy themed stuff from furniture to wall art. Baskets of shells, baskets in general, walls painted shades of fairly intense blue and aqua etc. Lots of beachy Home Goods type artwork for the walls.

5 years later we live here full time and I'm more than ready to switch out from the Margaritaville AirBnB theme decor style.

Eld, I love your look and I think you are spot on with your colors, style and decor.

Here is more than anyone probably cares to know about how I'm trying to achieve the same blend and mix.

I'm going for a coastal modern mix. White shaker cabinets in our kitchen, both bathrooms and office. This is my quartz countertop inthe kitchen and office. Kitchen is getting black bar pulls and black faucet to play off the veining in the counters. Maybe a black simple chandelier over the dining room table which will hopefully be this if it comes back in stock along with some kind of natural fiber chairs.

And I'm putting these countertops in the bathroomsalong with a coastal blue/green mosaic shower surround tile with these faucets.

Here's the store picture of my new couch, loveseat (didn't buy the chair) and coffee/end tables though I probably won't use all three of the tables together.

Our windows have white plantation shutters so the above is similar to what the view looks like above our couch-our windows aren't quite so lavish though. In my house if you are standing at this angle in my living room, to the left are a pair of 12-foot sliders that face the water. So the room is flooded with light all the time. That slider along with 3 other large ones are all getting Hunter Douglas white roller shades, again a simple coastal look with a modern twist.

Our new flooring is light wood look tile that's 5 feet long and 12 inches wide-again coastal but with a modern feel, not a wood facsimile. I'll be using some jute area rugs.

Using this Benjamin Moore color for the 'public' rooms: kitchen, bathrooms, living room, hallway and office. It reads as a neutral but with a very, very pale blue tinge, enough to make a nice contrast with our trim which is squared off large base and door molding painted white. Bedrooms will be this Sherwin-Williams color which again is a super pale calming hint of green neutral.

For art I'm thinking of stealing an idea I saw somewhere and liked a lot: enlarging some vintage family pictures to poster size and framing them with a simple metal or black frame.

I've got tons of pictures of parents, kids and my spouse in natural/water settings so I'm hoping that will be a nice way to have a personal touch while keeping things simple.

And last but not least I'm leaning toward a couple of Audobon bird prints so I'm right there with you Eld! Flamingo is a no brainer, again large and framed very simply. Probably another tropical/shore bird like a pelican or anhinga.

So there you have it and once again Eld your home looks beautiful so go for what you want!

eld6161 thanked runninginplace
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Love your choices so far! Can't wait to see your reveal.

• cran
    6 months ago

I love the Heron and how lucky yoo are to have such a talented friend. i think it is a classic look but can grow into a more coastal look too. Here is my mantel in the dinning room, even though i live in a coastal village i stay more traditional. sorry about the glare from the flash.

eld6161 thanked cran
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Cran, those are gorgeous.