SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humbleandkind

Roofing Replacement Issues and Equitable Resolution

humbleandkind
4 years ago

I would love feedback on what people think would be an equitable resolution of the issues we’ve had getting our roof replaced. As background, we obtained estimates from the two companies that have been replacing roofs in our neighborhood over the past few years (they were within a couple hundred dollars of each other) and ended up going with the one who received the most favorable reviews from neighbors. The owner is highly responsive and has been great to work with, and his workers are extremely hard working and very nice. The problem is that they are not careful and a fair amount of damage has been done. Some damage I expected and was prepared to eat the cost of (broken plants, scratches on deck that needs to be refinished anyway, small tear in grill cover) but some damage is more substantial and could/should have been avoided. For example, we had moved our propane fire pit table up against the house, and for some reason they pushed it out against the railing to hold the tarp down and, as a result, the top of the table caved in on one side from stuff falling on it. One of the tarps also had a huge hole in it and the falling shingles marked up the side of the house (they are planning to try to clean it). They are using a ladder with an engine on it to bring materials up to the top of the roof and it leaked oil onto the pavers in our walkway (they‘re trying to clean this, but so far the stain remains). When the ladder was carrying up a huge box of nails, when it reached the top the box fell over and dumped nails all over our driveway and side yard (the owner offered to bring a magnetic roller over to try to pick up as many as possible), but I’m concerned because we have two dogs and these nails are very sharp. I’m just not sure what else can/should be done about this. Hopefully, that’s it although they are still working and I haven’t done a complete walk around to check today.

Here’s where I’m struggling.

Re: the owner, I know this job is already costing him more than he expected and I feel badly about the additional cost for the damage (the fire pit is approx $500, but I’m not sure how to value the other issues). The job was supposed to take two days. We’re on day three and I’m not sure it’s going to be finished today, so I know the owner is going to have to pay his crew for at least one, possibly two, additional days. He said our roof is very steep, which has slowed his workers down. It is steep, and I don’t mind the extra days. The owner has been very apologetic about the damage. He’s offered to fix everything he can and to take some money off the bill for what he can’t (so far, just the fire pit table).

Re: the workers, they are extremely hard working and nice people. They’ve put in 10+ hour days of back breaking labor, and they do it with a smile. They only take one short break around noon when a woman stops by to bring them some lunch. Language barriers prevent us from communicating too much but the owner is here a fair amount and is immediately responsive to texts. In fact, at the beginning of the job I was so impressed with the workers that I took money out for a decent tip for each of them (there are five).

Any thoughts on how to handle this? I want an equitable resolution for everyone, I’m just not sure what that is. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! (And sorry about the length.)

Comments (19)