SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Our unexpected resolution to a our sweltering upstairs

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Over the years, there's been numerous threads with folks complaining about how hot their upstairs gets, me included! But if I had known that replacing our furnace would fix the problem, I honestly would have done it years ago.

Last month I came home to a horrible rumbling noise and no a/c. I called a repair guy and he came the next day. Said said it could be fixed but really should be replaced. Ugh...my heart sank....

I told the guy how our upstairs is always way too warm. He suggested a mid range "Variable Speed" furnace and said if our duck work was laid right, it should fix the problem. It was a step or two up from what we had, so even though I had serious doubts it would work, that's what we did. It was installed a few days later and at his recommendation, we keep the fan running 24/7. Well much to my surprise, it worked and I just can't believe the difference. The upstairs is now colder than the downstairs! Even though it was an unexpected cost at a really inopportune time, it was so worth it!

If your furnace is older and your upstairs is always hot, it's definitely something worth looking into or to at least know about for when the time comes. It's so quiet and the difference in how our rooms feel is amazing. It was so miserable before, I just hope the info will help someone else.

Comments (12)