SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pirula_gw

Our first 'disaster'. DH royally screwed up. Poor guy.

pirula
18 years ago

Well, it has happened. They say that every remodel has at least one big disaster right? One HUGE mistake? Well, we had our first one today. Not bad really, considering we've been planning for two years and building for three and a half months. But it's a loo loo, although not fatal.

I keep telling myself what my father always says: "If it can be fixed with money, it's not worth worrying about."

Okay so here's what has happened. As soon as our beautiful new Marvin windows arrived, I knew something was up with the kitchen windows. They looked so small to me. Particularly compared to the lovely large windows that came for every other room. I mean these things were TINY. I mentioned it to Joel but we both figured it must just be because these windows have to end much higher due to the fact that there will be a sink counter underneath. Fast forward to last night, when I start to prep these windows for paint. I stood at the window opening with one of them and realized that I was going to have a big slab of wood right at eye level. NOT HAPPY!!! God I was mad!! Again I thought, something is not right, I KNOW we measured and remeasured so that this exact thing wouldn't happen. DH has no memory of that conversation. I decide that I guess I'll have to live with it and either tippy toe or bend down in order to see my backyard when I'm doing dishes (siiiiiigh).

So today we think "hey! We'll just move the window up an inch or two and see if that fixes it. So DH is upstairs measuring for that. He comes down the the basement (temporary dwelling) and says "you can divorce me if you want." Uh oh......

Turns out, he screwed up the window order. Not the drawings, not the measurements, the ORDER. The window is seven, count em, SEVEN inches too short. Well, that explains alot doesn't it.

Well, needless to say, this is completely unacceptable. This is a 3K window because it is four double hungs. OUCH. This really sucks financially, and is happening just as we're running really low on our HELOC. Luckily just about everything is paid for now, but still. Anyway, in a sick way I'm relieved. Only my TKO friends will understand that this window must be redone even if it means paying for a new window. Seven inches to narrow I could live with. But height, coupled with wood in my eyes, no way. We redid the exercise of "wood at eye level" and sure enough, there should be no wood at eye level with the proper size window.

So there it is. Disaster numero uno. Ouch ouch ouch. Well, at least Habitat will get a nice donation, I'll get a write off, and some lucky dog out there is getting a very nice, brand new, all wood, double insulated glass window.

Deep breaths,

Ivette

Comments (33)