SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntiedidi

AuntieDiDi's Project: Simple improvements to our current layout?

auntiedidi
7 years ago

Hello Again,

Back with another approach to our project. We're thinking that we let dreaming get the best of us and that our budget really can't cover some of the ideas that have been proposed. Now we're exploring how we can improve our layout without moving the loading bearing wall and the HVAC and maybe keeping appliances close to their current locations. We'd rather have the increased function of the dining room conversion than the big fancy kitchen. We're generally happy with what we have except for the reasons I outlined in my original post, namely:

1. Garage door location

2. Dishwasher location

3. Lack of good sized prep area right next to a sink.

4. Need more pantry space

We realize our aisle widths are not NKBA compliant but they haven't bothered us in the 5 years we've been living here. Hubs and I can stand "butt-to-butt" between the main sink and island without feeling cramped at all. There is a bit of a pinch point between the basement door and the big island if someone is sitting there, but it's not a regular problem. It's a compromise we've lived with and are willing to endure to keep our big island.

This drawing utilized "basic" appliances (36" French Door fridge, 30 inch range) although there is so much added counter space along the range wall maybe an oven/mw stack or the Frigidaire columns could work. I left it simple just to see what kind of feedback is given. I also tossed in a prep sink on the little island after seeing a couple other threads with a prep sink on similar sized islands. Hard to let parts of my wishlist go:)

So, thoughts?

Measurements:

Lots more pics in my original post here.

Comments (33)