SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dubya301

Building a new craftsman style home. Builder wont fix major issues!!

dubya301
6 years ago

Hi all,

I have just completed my pre-drywall inspection of a new coastal craftsman style home. It's a waterfront property in MD that sees many adverse weather conditions.

I had a home inspector review the home with me, and he found many issues. I am an engineer by trade, and very familiar with home construction practices. I have found lots of issues that the builder is evading. I am working with a lawyer to see what the best course of action is, but I'd like to share some photos and see if anybody has advice!

What I have seen is an overall lack of knowledge from the GC/construction supervisor, poor work from subs, and lack of overall supervision. The local code enforcement (contractor for the county) does not seem very stringent either.

The most glaring issue I found was improper installation of windows/doors and their integration into the tyvek barrier. The builder installed flashing before the tyvek. The sill pans are completely buried under tyvek, which will not allow water to escape if there is a leak.

Doors don't have any flashing installed whatsoever, and are already leaking!!!!

There is no flashing or waterproofing over top of the front porch columns, so water and critters will be able to get in here. I am very concerned about these backer boards rotting out.

Decking is installed incredibly poorly!

Electrical hazard: romex pulled tight over metal gusset plate in multiple locations

roof truss completely snapped in two locations

Large soaking tub not resting in proper mud bed

Fireblocking is only 1/2 inch -- should be 24/32 osb. The builder claimed fireblocking isn't required because the home has sprinklers. Take what these guys say with a grain of salt!

fire blocking needed above fireplace cavity?

I noticed water leaking in the master bedroom (first floor). I looked up, and can see daylight where the roof meets a wall section!

Further inspection revealed this head flashing was installed incorrectly. Roof underlayment was not brought up the wall 4 inches, which means any water that is driven up the top shingle or behind the siding will leak into the bedroom. yikes!

I have put together a 20 page document that outlines all of the deficiencies, along with an 11 page report from my home inspector. Hoping that the builder will take these seriously. during the walk through, every single item was brushed off or deflected in some way.

Has anyone else had similar issues? how did you deal?

Thanks!

Comments (63)