SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_224375096

30 Days Possession?!

The Nuh
4 years ago

We are in the process of buying our new home and are currently in the offer, counter-offer phase. So far, the seller is requesting to have 30 days before they have to leave, and pay NO rent. This sounds a bit insane to me; to expect to just live for free in the house that someone else is paying for. The seller and their family all seem to work in real estate, so one would think they understand the process and know how reasonable/unreasonable things are. Is this a normal, or at least a semi-normal thing?

My sister works in insurance, and she also sees it as a red flag from their perspective. It is to be insured as our primary residence, not a rental. She mentioned that they could fall down the stairs moving their stuff, and technically come back and try to sue us. Also, what happens if we close on the house, then they end up breaking/taking something in that time?

I'm not really sure how to handle the situation. We really want the house, as there is not much in our area that meets our needs. I'd hate to lose the house over this, but I also think it's crazy to pay a mortgage on a house that someone else is living in. (Interesting side note, apparently these sellers own many houses and even have their own moving team. Why would you need 30 days then?!)

Comments (12)