SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

What's for Dinner #373

I did it. I made marmalade. Kumquat. Pretty.

Now how to add it to a dinner dish....

Comments (100)

• annie1992
    4 years ago

2many, Bud wasn't being sweet, he was just making sure that no one was eating anything without him. He was totally there for the dessert, trust me, he'd be loving all that ice cream at your place. As for the ribs, I couldn't throw them out either, I love ribs and I'd have to figure out some way to "save" them. At least your DH will eat them, so they aren't a complete wash.

Jasdip, Makayla is now 5'8". I'm 5 foot nuthin', as is Ashley and Amanda was the tall one at 5'6". She's catching up to her Dad pretty fast.

Neely, the cinnamon rolls look delicious. I love my cast iron, and my baking "stone" is an old Griswold cast iron griddle, works like a charm and I get nice crunchy crust that "sings" to me.

Dinner here was leftover chicken korma. I did Dave's books today and then had to go to Mother's. I'd baked a pumpkin pie for her yesterday, she was supposed to come out to the farm, but her allergies were bothering her and she didn't, so I had to deliver it. By that time it was nearly 6 pm and the poor dog thought she was starving, so Elery had a taco salad and I had leftover korma and the refrigerator let go of a few more containers, LOL.

Annie

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

I was at my brother's for Thanksgiving yesterday and today was the promised chicken and dumplings. The downside of making them in a cast iron dutch oven, is that with the lid not being clear, I was boiling them instead of simmering. I didn't realize it until the liquid started boiling over.

But they were great! Dumplings on the left, mashed potatoes chicken and leftover corn casserole.

• Related Discussions

#373 SALATing, waiting for inSPRINGation

Q

Comments (101)
    I feel like I've been a bad Idyller. I have been reading, but everytime I want to post, something comes up. I don't know if I will comment on all that I have thought to say in the past few days! I am excited that the ball is rolling on IU5. I am also planning my trip to TN to see a friend, and introduce a friend to TN for the first time. I have a "girls" weekend planned at the end of May in Maine - we'll be 5 moms with no strings, very fun. I also have a Tower Hill plant sale and nursery trip with NE Idyllers to look forward to, and possibly a trip to Garden in the Woods (I will send a "still interested?" email). I feel like my dance card is filling up. I have been busy in my neighbor's garden. I love to give her garden it's spring spruce up. We go to the wholesaler on Friday and this is a treat for me. It's fun to see the big operation and load her truck full of plants. Planting will begin next week. My garden is still in it's planning stages, but we are planning to work on the bones this weekend. Sadly, the 100 y.o. maple in the backyard is dead (they ran over the roots to hook up to the sewage before I moved in)...it's getting removed along with some other large "bones." Nick has lush green grass planned for the back and I have it bordered with beds (in my head :) I feel inspired this year. PM, I loved your synopsis of last year at this time. Maybe you could give us a run down next April, too :) Deanne, you always make a statement! I love your containers....gorgeous. I thought you built cages for your plants a couple of years ago....am I thinking of someone else? The devastation is hard to imagine, but I know you will come up with something fabulous to take it's place :) Wish I could've seen Woody's feast! I do enjoy your cooking escapades. I think the chickpea cakes sound wonderful and will try them! I am especially interested in the onion trick. I still have not made it to the shower today. Everytime I tried to, someone needed a ride or a meal. I am off for hot suds and then I'm sitting on my sofa with my blanket and watching last night's episode of The Riches. I like my t.v. serials, and none of you Idylls will convince me otherwise! Luckily I don't have kids who are glued to the tube and don't really worry about it like I think some people should :) The street sweeper finally came and did a really bad job in front of my house. I ended up sweeping it myself and throwing it in the garbage....I wait all year for the one day when the sweeper comes..... TTYL... Saucy
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What's for Dinner? #372

Q

Comments (100)
    No pics here-- i made delicious chicken salad tonight. After being in Atlanta all last week, I've been jonesing for a good homemade chicken salad with chopped apples and celery. I don't like soy based mayo and today in WF I found Kensington mayo made with safflower oil. That's a taste I like! Today we visited a cousin up the coast in Ventura Harbor. To get there we had to pass through some local growing fields. A stop at a produce stand was mandatory and we made fast work at two competing stands. The tangerine was divine, I wish I had bought a bunch. Strawberries, artichokes, plums, peaches, prickly pears, nectarines and a grapefruit along with an enormous cauliflower managed to make it home with us.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yum, Jasdip, they look pretty darned good, in spite of the boiling.

A couple of days ago I made a nicely rare rump roast, which we had with mashed rutabaga, some red cabbage cooked with apples and cranberries and roasted golden beets:

Tonight it became fajitas, and since it started so rare I was able to reheat it without cooking it to death. No tortillas, of course, but the onions and peppers were from the garden and they were my favorite part anyway!

Annie

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

Your roast and subsequent fajitas look wonderful, Annie. In fact, you made my stomach growl!

• neely
    4 years ago

Yummie food from all above.

I had what I thought was a photo of a pork chop dinner we had, but it was actually a 2 second video which doesn’t post here.

Nevermind, the following is a mushroom omelette made by DH and by me the salad. Had this for a late lunch early dinner.

• neely
    4 years ago

What’s for dinner last night was Atlantic Cod with pasta.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

I bought 2 cabbages, a 2 for 1 deal, and gave one to a neighbour. I made unstuffed/deconstructed cabbage rolls today. I was eating it as I was chopping, one of the sweetest cabbages I've ever had.

Beef, chopped cabbage, onions, garlic, rice and tomato sauce. Cooked in the oven to soften the cabbage then shredded cheese on top; just because.

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

yum jasdip .... perfect pepper stuffing' too

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Neely, codd with pasta? That's different for me, I wouldn't have thought of that, but there are lots of recipes that pair seafood with pasta, so I'm puzzled as to why I never thought of it before. Two of Elery's favorite things, seafood and pasta!

Jasdip, great minds think alike, I often make "unstuffed cabbage", it's just easier than rolling those leaves and tastes the same to me. Yours looks really good.

As usual, I've been remiss at taking pictures. My son in law, Dave, was loading a bulldozer, securing it with chain binders, when a chain broke and snapped back, hitting him in the face. A broken nose, lots of stitches, some chipped teeth, but he's actually really lucky. He's got a big black eye, but it missed his eyes, and I know men who have been killed by just that kind of thing, so he's upright and breathing, so we're all thankful. That happened yesterday, so today I made meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, baked beans, mashed butternut squash, chocolate pudding from scratch, all things that don't require a lot of chewing or that he open his mouth too wide. It was Bud's 14th birthday, so he spent the night last night while his parents and Makayla were at the hospital, and so he had bacon, scrambled eggs and crepes with Nutella and powdered sugar for breakfast:

I have more pictures, but they will not load, I've been waiting 13 minutes for the next picture, so I give up for now, I'll come back later, or tomorrow.

Annie

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

OMG Annie!!! I'm wishing the very best for Dave. He's so very lucky.

(I too have trouble loading pics, the green circle just goes round and round, waiting.)

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Jasdip, I've always had some trouble, but it's worse than usual. I'll try again, but it never seems to get better, just worse. (sigh)

Dave just had that broken arm in 2017, now this, he needs to be more careful.

Here I made a corned venison:

Then I made hash for Mother:

And we had birthday cake for the birthday boy, chocolate with chocolate frosting:

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Really great looking meals, friends! Neely, it's cooling down here, but still, your fluffy mushroom omelet, and the salad with that gorgeously ripe avocado would make my day! Jas, gotta send my vote to you Brother's chicken and dumplings : ) After the dumplings thread, my mouth has been water for them. Yum! Annie, I remember a photo of Bud standing in your garden... he needs to stop growing, doesn't he : ) Still, he's young! Your corned venison looks perfect. Very tender. Very corned. Corned beef, or venison as the case may be, is among my favorite meals : ) I'm glad to hear Dave suffered no further injuries than he did (although I doubt he'd see it that way!). Thank goodness it didn't fracture the bones around his eyes. DH and I watched as someone attempted to pull a tree from our neighbor's front yard with canvas cables that DH knew wouldn't hold, and he quietly told me to step waaay back. After snapping and a near hit, they re-attached more of the same. And those snapped.

Still cooking very simplistic meals here due to being busy with the remodel. But cooking more this past week. Croque Monsieur, with brown sugar acorn squash.

Friday we had Annt's salisbury steaks. I should have added more flour for the sauce, but "Que Sera, Sera". Still so good, as AnnT's recipes always are. I heard DH make food noises several times - you all know what I'm talking about!

Saturday was a loooong day of work, so I cooked gorgonzola stuffed burgers on the grill, with POOFed baked beans.

Sunday was our 3-year Anniversary (I know, not very long, but we'd dated on and off for almost 4 decades!). DH felt bad that I cooked, but we didn't want to stop working. Buttermilk pancakes for breakfast. I 'gave' him a dehumidifier. Ha! He 'gave' me a used tile saw he found on Craig's List! Yes, we have 'given' remodel work and gifts for every holiday since we began over a year and a half ago. I hope by Christmas we can actually give a token gift that has nothing to do with remodeling : ) I made Italian meatball subs with provolone. I didn't bake the bread.

...and of course, ice cream : ) Coffee custard ice cream, with semi-sweet chocolate shavings.
    Annie, I POOFed some of those salty pork ribs from the freezer, shredded it, and used it in a Northern Bean and kale soup I make, instead of Canadian Ham. Worked well! Yay! Homemade cheese bread, but I grated a bit more cheddar on ours. We had this last night, and we both went to bed at 7:30pm, dragging. And I don't even have a farm! LOL!
    I have another recipe I'd like to try those too-salty pork ribs on. Hoping I can use them up in recipes that will make use of the salt, and not have to eat them as is!

Somewhere in there I also baked a 5-1/2 lb chicken with veg. And gravy. We are revisiting it again tonight : )

Raining here, finally. My broccoli and brussel sprout plants are loving it. Carrots slowly doing well, and I finally see a few blades of baby grass that I hope are leeks!

A share: I used more Amazon points on a eufy - a robovac. Now that the floors are no longer covered, I thought I could use the help. One of my best non-cooking purchases. I'm amazed that this thing actually works! Anyway, we named it Dirty Harry, as it cleans up dirt and pet hair, and that Makes My Day ; )

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Weather is definitely fall-ish now. Cool to cold at night, warming during the day. I had veg that needed to be used, so perfect timing for a hot/cold salad of greens and raw veg with roasted sweet potato, carrot, yukon golds, and crispy ham. A sprinkling of dried cranberries to finish the fall theme. Not shown was the Parmesan dressing I made - I wasn't sure how it'd taste with sweet potatoes, but it actually made it.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

2many, I'm glad those ribs got put to a good use, I love ribs and hate to waste any. The star, though, is the salad I think. I don't even care for lettuce and that looks really good.

Here we had black bean soup and it wasn't pretty, no pictures, LOL.

Annie

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

Don't you love fall, 2Many? It's my favourite time of the year, and the weather has been perfect this year. You've been making some great meals!!!

I made a beef roast last night with roasted carrots and squash. I sliced the squash in thick slices and roasted them with the carrots.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Jasdip, my favorite season is autumn, I love everything about it.

Plus, your beef and potatoes look perfect and delicious.

Here we haven't had anything worth taking a picture of, and tonight it was burgers but we had no buns and no bread, so it was burgers and cole slaw all by themselves, LOL. No pictures.

Annie

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

Annie, I love a hamburg patty all by itself, with potatoes and veg.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Annie, you need a nap, clearly. I know you hate salad! You and AnnT! You gals are nuts, and I mean that in a loving way : ) I love salad! I do love black bean soup. I need to make some now that you brought it up! I think it's pretty! I also love hamburger patties on their own. Just seasoned, or toss some sauteed mushrooms on them. DH wouldn't go for it though, as he's a carb monster.

Yes, Jasdip : ) I do love fall too, and it is such a wonderful time to cook! Oh! you read my mind!!! I've been wanting to make a roast for a while now - and once again, someone makes a gravy that makes my mouth water. Mashed potatoes and gravy with carrots, roast beef, and... ok, so the squash is not something I usually make with roasts, but that just all looks so good. Be over in 30...

I made steamed pork dumplings with 3 sauces (spicy chili, medium soy-ginger, and sweet hoisin mustard), with orange jasmine rice and steamed broccoli. Nope, didn't use 4 chopsticks, the other pair are for DH, who didn't use them and I don't blame him. No need to use something that makes you uncomfortable.

Made veggie soup. I made enough to end world hunger. Or close to it. Always good to have on hand for lunches, for when someone gets sick, and just for when... Like a cool fall evening.

Also made garlic bread, the fancy-shmancy way. Felt like it : ) So, basically whole wheat, with a little white flour for fun, proofed, and whilst doing that sweated some garlic (more than a whole bud) and butter. Divided the bread into 4 pieces, layered with garlic and butter. Slice, twist, and proof again... Bake, and there you have it, Fancy-Schmancy Whole Wheat Garlic Bread to go with our soup, ha ha!

But, the best thing I had was coffee. We hadn't bought any beans since we started our remodel, 1 year and 8 months ago, but who's counting? DH stopped roasting and grinding so we were drinking store-bought coffee. Until I bought some Costa Rican from Burmans (I know you know, Annie!), and DH roasted them to perfection. Next morning DH ground them, brewed coffee, and we both just smiled and smiled and smiled. Heaven. I could live on that. I forgot how blissful home roasted coffee was. I'm even drinking it at night. Not sleeping well, though... ; )

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

What one must go through, in other words, suffer, for a decent cup of coffee. Not sleeping is a small price to pay, I'm sure, 2Many :-D

Your bread is AMAZING!!!

Leftover roast beef calls for hot beef sandwiches, right?

On a local Facebook group someone was raving about the Costco hotdog deal, a dog and a drink for $1.50. I chimed in and said that I just adore their fries. A person in-the-know called me out to say they are Cavendish fries!

Now I never, ever buy frozen french fries, but, since guess what......Cavendish frozen fries were on sale this week!!! I didn't deep fry them, but sprinkled them with oil and baked them at 400° and they were darned good! So I'll be getting another bag, just because.

• User
    4 years ago

2ManyDiversions, I'm with your dh. Never mastered chopsticks. I'm much more comfortable with a fork/spoon. Do you eat the rice with the sticks?

• annie1992
    4 years ago

2many, I definitely hear you on the coffee, I've gotten so picky that if we don't make a Chemex pot of coffee in the morning, I won't even LOOK at the Keurig. And I don't need a nap, I just need a MINUTE. (sigh) A friend's wife passed away with a funeral on Saturday, my cousin passed away on Monday with a funeral today, and I cooked for both of those funerals. I had election inspector training on Tuesday and my Mother "needed" me to come out so I did that today after the funeral. My SIL got hurt the weekend before that, so Sunday we were stacking his wood, since he's still not able to do it. It's just been kind of crazy....

Your bread is beautiful!

As for chopsticks, I've never mastered them either, so Andie and I can sit together. I had a Japanese aunt, Yoshiko, who renamed herself "Amy". My uncle married her while he was stationed in Japan and brought her home. She tried and tried to teach me to use chopsticks and finally just sighed deeply and said "You no good. You use fork." Yeah. So I use a fork, LOL.

Dinner was "funeral food", so that was some sliced turkey, a kale salad that was actually not bad and baked beans, everyone in the family brought a "dish to pass". There was lots of visiting with friends from my childhood that I haven't seen for a long time. The boy who broke my heart back when I was 17 is a pastor now and gave the service, drove all the way across the state to do it. I told him that I was so impressed at how far he went out of his way to do this for our family that I would forgive him for his youthful failings, LOL.

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Jasdip, I don't know what cavendish fries are, but they look good! What makes them look even better is the hot roast beef (with gravy and fresh-ground pepper) next to them! I found a pork roast in the freezer, so either tonight or tomorrow night it'll be roast - thank you for the inspiration!

Andie, I don't blame you. I don't like when someone tells me I have to do something, when there is a better alternative for me or someone else : ) Yes, I do eat rice with chopsticks. Sticky rice is easier, of course. But truthfully, that night I used my fork on the Jasmine as it isn't sticky and we ended up dipping everything (rice, dumplings, and broccoli) into the sauces, and we were sharing bowls. I don't mind if I drop my rice into sauces, but I was dropping too much as I was in a hurry and hungry! Chopsticks have never given me a problem, though.

Annie, after reading your first paragraph, I say this because I care about you... I disagree, you do need a nap! A minute isn't long enough after all that. You need a week : ) I'm so sorry you're family has experienced so many losses, and especially one after another. Doesn't surprise me at all you've done the cooking... I mean, who better for good meals when people need comforting : ) Laughed at your You Use Fork! and the Pastor who broke your heart (wait, that just doesn't sound right! You know what I mean!).

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

2Many Cavendish fries are the name brand. I hadn't tried them before, as I think we bought McCain once and they were crap.

Regarding Keurig, they're the most-often sold coffee makers on Kijiji. I'm weird, that I like having an extra coffee-maker on hand. Nothing worse than having the machine not work first thing in the morning and having to pay full price. Anyway, very few drip makers on there but lots of Keurig, single cup styles for sale. I'd never ever buy one. My step-sister-in-law offered me hers for free as they were upgrading but both dh and I turned it down.

I've been tempted to try one of those plunger type ones, apparently they make good coffee :-)

It's definitely turning winterish here. Light snow mixed with the fallen leaves. I had the urge for hot hamburger, so 2 hamburger patties, fried onions and gravy. Of course you have to have mashed (or fries).

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Corned venison looks amazing and 2MD's bread. love a good potato fry.

Thankful Dave is ok. Wow, lots of tending to friends and family Annie.

Since back it has been steak anyway we can think of after a month of seafood. ...and putting the garden to bed...harvesting is just about over. No frost yet. Shopping in the freezer to make room for winter stocks. Big salads.

just picked the last of the green tomatoes this morning. Not great fresh but given a bit of heat sauteed with onion they bloom with good flavor. Some are the Spanish Rama(sp?) long keepers that will be good for weeks...rubbed on toasted bread late Dec-jan.

We found a new 'favorite' roadside restaurant on our recent trip with killer fries and a lobster roll special ...2 for one.

lost count of all the lobster we had. Made at least a dozen chowders. Did not photo as much as usual. Forgot my good camera so only cell phone.

Last chowder while packing should have had fresh mussels but the wind kicked up...we harvest from our kayaks.

I did photo the recipe for my brother...just need to write it down. made for 4 then more neighbors stopped by so added the last quart of stock and a couple more fillets. Boule was 30% whole wheat so great for travel sandwiches and the last chowder.

Original Author
    4 years ago

We did roast two chickens last weekend. Barely touched a half but made stock and froze a half and had oven bbq the next night. Way behind on Fall stocks but will make a veg and beef stock next weekend...for the holidays.

• Anne
    4 years ago

@neely and @jaspip what beautiful meals! You two inspire me. I did a fried spaghetti fritatta. (SP) Very pedestrian but just added a little ham and cheese and it was not pretty but good, The cupboard is bare

• Anne
    4 years ago

To all I have missed...I did read and am impressed. I love seeing how everyone uses as much of the original as they can and reinvents it.

Original Author
    4 years ago

DH has been kookoo for kimchi. Driving me nuts as it is too salty and too spicy. Then starts another batch before eating the last. oy. I solved that last year with a few batches I liked. Fortunately he is making small batches. Quarts.

(we rarely argue) but fridge full of spicy is not welcome. I just packed up a 1/2 dozen container he can take to work.

Some meals from last week. Who needs taco holders? I don't but amazoned them anyway. Pretty great I can testify. Sturdy and cheap.

I made kimchi/beef rib tacos for our neighbors that gathered our mail and looked after the home when were away. If you know your guests, a prepped taco is easy. Served out on the deck casual was better than 'build-your-own'.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Chili today. now about 5 hours low and slow. Good grief, filled the pot. I'll freeze some of it. Roasted tomatillo and hatch chili. Cubed beef ribs. pot of Marcella beans optional.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Good chili. We make once a year. 3 quarts ready for the freezer. 3 pints for chili soup.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

Chicken breasts browned then in the oven with lemon, wine and fresh rosemary and thyme.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Jasdip, Elery agrees with you. We have a Cuisinart drip pot that grinds the beans and has a timer, it'll jolt you out of bed in the morning with the noise and you don't need an alarm clock, LOL. Also an electric percolator, one of those stainless steel ones like my Grandma used to have, a couple of French presses, a Keurig, a Gevalia drip pot that he got free with coffee several years ago, one of those Black and Decker drip pots that don't use a carafe, you just dispense your coffee directly into your cup as you want it. I even have an old Corningware stove top percolator, I used it when the power went out, I'd light my gas stove and make coffee. My favorite, though, is the low tech Chemex, just pour the hot water over and wait for it to filter through, best coffee I've ever had. I buy green beans, roast them, grind them as I need them, and that Chemex gets daily use.

That onion gravy over the mashed potatoes looks delicious, I love cooked onions, yum.

Sleevendog that bread is just beautiful. I did smile at the pot of chili, my chili always seems to "grow" to fill my pot, no matter how good my intentions to make a small pot of chili.

No green tomatoes or anything like that here, it's been doing this for a couple of days and we're supposed to get 3 inches of snow tomorrow:

The Princess had her 16th birthday yesterday and she just wanted me to cook dinner. We had mac and cheese, ham, green beans homemade bread and red velvet cake with some mint chocolate chip ice cream. Her favorite bread is the Pane Bianco from King Arthur flour, so I made that, but neglected to take pictures of anything else, go figure.

Before that we had pork chops, fresh collard greens from the garden and butternut squash, also this year's harvest:

Tonight we had tacos made from some barbacoa that I took from the freezer, made sometime several months ago. We topped them with sauteed peppers and onions, some of the last from the garden. We got home late because we were visiting Mother, and so we had a POOFed meal, plus I'm trying to clean out the freezer, a double bonus supper!

Tomorrow I'm going to visit the Township Treasurer, we have a couple of small discrepancies in the QuickBooks for the Township that need to be balanced. She had carpal tunnel surgery about a month ago and so hasn't done a lot of cooking or baking or anything else because she's right handed and it was her right hand, of course. I found some frozen cookie dough in the freezer and baked a dozen of Grandma's Chewy Molasses Cookies to take with me:

I'm thinking that tomorrow might be the perfect day for some chili, thanks to sleevendog!

Annie

• Compumom11
    4 years ago

Yikes Annie, I hope Dave is on the mend. That's so frightening! I can't believe Bud and the Princess are 14 and 16! Then again DGS1 is 15 and just got his learner's permit on Halloween! OY!

Yours are as cute as ever! Bud's cake is a thing of beauty. Did you find time to make that too?

All the other food is yummy, too late to comment.

2Many- you are such hard workers ! Happy Anniversary!

off to bed...

• neely
    4 years ago

So many good dinners and food since I posted last. Must mention 2 Many’s wonderful bread. And thanks to Anne for mentioning Jasdip and myself. I too see us as a kind of pair in that our meals share similarities both in looks and content.

Small filet steak, chips and salad with a dollop of creamed horseradish.

The following was a breaded pork fillet, with coleslaw and coleslaw on the side. There was another thread going a short while ago about pork done like this and I couldn’t resist doing it this way.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

Neely, breaded pork chops are my favourite way of doing them!!! Yours looks exceptionally good!!! I also like your pickle perched on the slaw.

I found some stuffing in the freezer (chopped onions, celery, and leftover rice......I always put leftover rice in my stuffing), and I think I'll thaw a couple of pork chops put stuffing in between them. Tying some string around them works well. They're not thick enough to cut a slit and stuff.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

We've had some chilly weather, and a winter advisory is predicted for tomorrow. So I made something I hadn't made in years, tuna casserole.

I used penne, onions, celery and frozen peas. The white sauce had hot sauce in for some added flavour.

Tea and oatmeal cookies for dessert

Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, Bud 14? And so handsome. : )

Cold here but 60 today after some frost last week. Pulled some sad garden stuff. Leeks never bulked up. Mini beets. Just heard on the news that this week last year was the unexpected foot+ snow that was not taken seriously. DH was stuck for 6 hours getting home...I opted for a hotel.

I have my battery heated vest, and 2 batteries charged.

Nothing that interesting food wise. DH is obsessed about kimchi and I'm fine with that. Small batch so I can make my version....less spicy, more veg. Veg bowl. Salmon with garbanzo/rice pasta...veg toss.

Before the holidays we are always salad obsessed. And do-aheads like stocks.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Pho broth. The ginger and spices. So good.

• neely
    4 years ago

I love tuna casserole Jasdip. I make it like you but DH makes it with a red tomato sauce, different but still good.

Sleevendog your Pho looks yummy as do the multitude of salads.

Salmon with mustard sauce for one nights’ dinner. Still a little pink inside the way I like it.

Homemade pizza for a late lunch dinner snack.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Pizza all day...I made 6 and froze a few. Salads all week.

Kimchi pizza, DH happy

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Yes, Sleevendog, Bud is 14, and his sister is driving. (sigh) It happened fast. Pizza all day, plus kim chee pizza? Oh boy, the kids AND Elery would both be happy with that. As usual, your food all looks so fresh and good.

Jasdip, that doesn't look at all like the noodle glop that Mother made and called it tuna casserole, hers was a can of tuna, a can of cream of mushroom soup and some noodles, and that was pretty much all. Yours looks really good and I'd like the addition of the peas in there.

Neely, pizza is always popular, I think, but the salmon looks particularly good.

Here it's been crazy busy, Mother was here for a few days and Ashley's getting ready for surgery on Tuesday and Bud had a neurologist appointment on Friday, so we're running around like crazy. I roasted a turkey and several butternut squash on Tuesday and we've been eating that all week. Today Elery put a duck in his Instant Pot with some ginger and soy sauce and we made duck "tacos". Yesterday it was black bean burritos. I baked Mother another "pumpkin" pie with butternut squash, she never knows the difference.

Tomorrow? Who knows, LOL.

Annie

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

You're really good at finding various ways to use up your squash, Annie. I envy you with your ingenuity in all of your cooking!

I stuffed a chicken breast with spinach and goat cheese breaded and baked it. I tried a new recipe for orzo. Cooked in browned butter, chicken broth and wine. It's a Fine Cooking recipe and their recipes never disappoint.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Haven't been here in, well, forever! Sick, still sick. Strep throat that turned into a cold, and I sound like a kid with croup. Fever, et al. Been sick for 2 weeks and I'm just so over it. DH has a sore throat but to hear him, he's dying. Sleevendog, let's make a pact: Next time your DH goes kimchi coo-coo, and mine gets a little sore throat, let's pack them in boxes and put them in storage. Split the cost? ; )

Jasdip, your tuna casserole looks a zillion times better than mine. Love tuna casserole, and yes, Annie, my mom made the same as yours! I also love the addition of peas. And Penne : ) Your pork chop and slaw sammie looks and sounds good. I know I'd like it! Beautiful snow Annie! Thanks for the share : ) We got some too but I neglected to take photos. I'd still like to make pane bianco someday. Yours is always so pretty. Basil is dead now, and no sundried tomatoes to be found here. I love collard greens, and your butternut squash is such a brilliant yellow... ah, to have such produce from your own garden... : ) Sleevendog, I laughed at the full pot of chili, but that is never a bad thing! Chili eaters here, big time. Still wanting to start micro greens, but still working on the house and no room yet. You've been cooking up a storm! And whenever I look at your dishes, I always feel like I don't eat healthy enough : ) Your chicken is mouthwateringly gorgeous. Neely, that pizza tops my list. What I wouldn't give for a bite. Or several. I like the mustard sauce on your salmon (a little pink inside is perfect). And a shout-out to compumom!

Cooking sporadically because of illness (and I need to get to the grocery store, fever or not). But have been cooking...

Ah, the ever-present so utterly easy roasted chicken (with the other stuff)

Got hungry for a chuck roast after seeing so many of Jasdip's wonderful looking roasts. No rare here, but cooked forever, until falling apart. Of course I had to make yorkshire pudding.

Pad Thai Chicken.

While re-freshing my herbs and spices, I bought several blends from Penzey's and the Spice House. Been having fun with them. Their taco blend was perfect for my 'quesadilla's'. Shredded pork, red bell pepper, onion, hoisin, and seasonings...

topped with cheese, folded into a packet, and fried in the cast iron. Goodies on top.

Re-visited Halloween chili with this boule.

This is the mystery plant from my garden - half the leaves would have cooked down and been plenty for us. Brought it in, washed it, then lost my nerve. Didn't cook the mystery plant. LOL!

More fun with spices - used 3 different blends plus some others that should never have gone together, but the 'fried potatoes' were quite good. DH's favorite.

Made a 'mock' pizza to go with them. A hearty cold-night meal. Nothing to write home about though.

No more allowed...

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

And just for fun:

Our 'remodel cat' (adopted stray during the remodel, which is STILL ongoing), Snow has realized we aren't dirt poor after all. She's so happy to have furniture, and floors! Every night we have a 3rd at our table... Yep, Snow. Sits on the extra chair. No paws allowed, and other than the longing looks, she's a good little girl. No, we don't feed her at the table, but still she comes, every night, sitting there like a little lady, just watching us.

Meanwhile, our other little one, Rose (dog, smaller than the cat) is in DH's new tv room on his recliner, cuddled in a warm blanket. I've not time to relax, but the pets sure love having the house more in order! Ha ha!

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Jasdip, I don't know about creative, tonight we had roasted butternut squash, some mashed celery root and baked chicken. Last night we had collard greens, golden beets and pork tenderloin.

Tomorrow I am doing Dave's books, he's finally back to work after that injury, and Thursday I'm spending the day at Ashley's, she had surgery today. I'm amazed at how soon they send people home, she had a hysterectomy at 2 pm and is already home. Then again, my neighbor had a hip replaced and it was outpatient too, so I guess they don't keep anyone. The insurance companies won't pay for people to stay, of course, so there's that. I think I'd just as soon be home if I could be though.

I'm going to bake some bread and make some beef barley soup for Ashley's house, and take her a gallon of that cider Elery pressed a few weeks ago, it's been waiting in the freezer. Friday we're taking an elderly neighbor to visit his wife in the nursing home, he doesn't drive and his family all have prior commitments, so we'll take him to lunch and to visit and then come home. It'll be leftovers for the rest of the week, I guess.

2many, I had to smile at Snow. Our cats prowl under the table and the dog just lies on the rug by Elery's chair while we eat. He does feed them at the table and they take full advantage of that, but the only time the cats get on the dining room chairs is when they are basking in the heat of the pellet stove, which is in that room.

Annie

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

2Many! It's so good to see you!!! Your Yorkshire pudding is perfect!!! I love it! We loved roasts well done, with lots of gravy. Once in a while I make it more medium-rare, as recently.

Snow is gorgeous!!! And so polite!

I laugh at people who swear their cats don't get on the counters etc (No one here!) but we have a friend who insists his cat wouldn't do that. He yelled at Roxie to get down off the table when she was sitting at the end (on a newspaper) to look outside. I told him that his cat has 8 hours every day to do what he wants while B is at work.

The other night I had some hamburger fat in a cat food tin to harden to throw in the garbage. I left it out on the counter and the next morning there was quite a serious divot/hole licked out of the fat in the can! I heard a 'thump' late at night but didn't bother to investigate.... It was obviously Bud jumping down.

• neely
    4 years ago

Only a few to the 100 to go.

Sleevendog you put my ordinary pizza in the shade.

Jasdip, your stuffed chicken breast looks delicious as does our favourite (yours and mine perhaps) orzo...

2many, so many delicious dishes. I can understand why you didn’t eat the mystery leaf but curiously it does look edible.

Annie, beef barley soup sounds good. Here, we make lamb shank and barley soup which many people like but I know how you feel about lamb. (grin)

Below is DH’s famous baked cod (well famous between he and I anyway)) with orzo.

Original Author
    4 years ago

(I'll fill up the last few postings)

We need to jump ahead for our winter foods. ...and enjoy the opposite climate dishes.

The chili has been getting prime use being so busy.

Testing cod cakes for the holidays...we like a thanksgiving starter for the wrangling sit down...delish tonight, but not going to happen as a starter plate...we will do marinated chilled shrimp. Cocktail style.

With the last minute gravy making...and the mashed potatoes...no way can I do cod cakes.

So yummy tonight. DH over the moon.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Neely, Elery would LOVE lamb and barley soup, though, so you never know, I might actually make it. Someday. (grin) I'd probably rather go for the cod...

Jasdip, I know cats get on counters, even if I don't catch them. Mine can get on top of the 6 foot bookcase, so that counter is nothing. Of course, it's no worse than people who plant their purse on my counter, one of my pet peeves. That purse has been on the floor of vehicles, public bathrooms, restaurants, you name it. My cat probably has cleaner feet than the bottom of that purse! Still, I sanitize my counters daily, and do it again before any food prep, and I never leave food on the counter because I don't want them to learn to scrounge for food up there. Of course, my daughter's Golden Retriever ate an entire stick of butter off my counter before I learned to put the butter out of reach.

sleevendog, the cod cakes look perfectly crunchy and there's plenty of sauce, I'd like them I think. Chili has been in the rotation a couple of times here, it's that kind of weather.

Of course, I forgot to take a picture until I'd pretty much finished. I made a "low fat" cornbread to go with it and it's been so long since I've made cornbread that I actually enjoyed it, although not as good as my regular recipe.

After that we had lentil soup, which I forgot to take a picture of.

Last weekend Makayla had her 16th birthday party, although her birthday was the 4th, and she and her cousin Kaylynn spent the night here to "get away from her pesty brother". They had crepes with nutella and hot chocolate for breakfast:

I put the last of the leeks in the dehydrator and then made some brine for Canadian Bacon, Elery smoked it yesterday, along with these hocks, which will go into a batch of greens sometime in the future.

I still have four leeks in the back store room, so maybe they'll go into one of the Thanksgiving side dishes.

One more post, and it's time for a new thread!

Annie

• neely
    4 years ago

Sleevendog, those cod cakes look great.

Annie,I love leeks anyway and the hock looks tender and juicy.

Hope somelone will use a Thanksgiving dinner photo to start a new thread. I’m not cooking along with you this year but can’t wait to see some delicious dinners.