SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleshbits

Why won't things line up?

fleshbits
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I don't understand how come I keep getting jacked up angles when I attach the last side of a simple wooden box frame. I am not handy! Please teach me what I am doing wrong!

I cut some 1x4s to 48.5 inches exactly and measured them afterward to verify

I cut some 1x4s to 51.5 inches exactly and measure them afterward to verify

I then cut some 2x2s to exactly 3 feet.

I laid two of the 2x2s down on the foor in the y direction

I laid two of the smaller 1x4s, both being the same length, down on top of them in the x direction. one at far z and one at near z.

I thusly, made one side of my box frame. I repeated for the opposite side of my box frame.

I then stood those up side by side and pondered how I can connect two more 1x4s to create a 3rd side. I leaned them against a couple trash cans so that they would stand up on their own. I put a couple bricks at their base to keep them in alignment. I then inched them bit by bit with my foot until the sides of the two longer 1x4s lined up with the outside of the 2x2 + 1x4 edge that I was connecting it to.

Thusly, I created another side.

When I went to do the previous step with the last side, it was obvious to me that things were not lined up. I don't understand how this is possible when all my wood was cut at the correct measurements.

I don't understand how I always end up like this. I really want to build basic things like a box frame that I can chicken wire, to keep rabbits out of my raised garden. I guess I missed learning basics in my childhood or something. Help!

See how my final side appears to be off, like the whole thing is twisted or something.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County