Interesting things to do with greens?

plllog

I'm so bored I can't think of something interesting to do with greens. I have no interest in making them with a lot of fat and salt, which is what most recipes call for. I've been thinking of maybe blanching or wilting some of the bigger leaves and using them as layers in a casserole, but that might be better if I cut them up anyway. That idea sort of started with the thought that some of you mentioned using them for rolling up stuffed cabbage, but I'm not making enough to bother actually rolling them.

I'd love some ideas, besides basic steaming, for cooking them without meat. It may just be that dark green leafies are just as boring as I feel bored, but I'm hoping there's some kind of magic out there that I'm unaware of. :)

SaveComment16Like1
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ritaweeda

Sometimes I make a scalloped potato, onion and cabbage casserole, so I'm sure that any other kind of greens would be wonderful, too. Just partially cook the potatoes, onions and greens for just a few minutes - drain - layer with cream sauce (add cheese if you want). Some chicken broth in the cream sauce is also good. Bake until bubbly. Also greens are wonderful in soups. Too bad you don't want to do the stuffed rolls, they are wonderful, I've done it with collards.

Save     Thanked by plllog
colleenoz

In Hong Kong we once had the most awesome stir fried water spinach, with just oil and a little garlic. It was really, really delicious. I've no idea what the proportions were but you could either consult Chinese cookbooks or just wing it.

laceyvail 6A, WV

I use a lot of different greens in many ways since they grow so well for me in my garden. Here is a favorite:

Spiced Chickpeas and
Greens

Cook 1 chopped Onion, 2 Tbs. chopped fresh Ginger, 2 cloves chopped Garlic,
and 1 tsp each Mustard seeds, Ground Coriander, Kosher Salt, and Black Pepper
in 1 Tbs Oil in large pot; cook until
tender, 5 mins. Add 2 bunches cut up
Mustard Greens or Collard Greens or Chard, cook until wilted. Add 2 15 oz cans drained Chickpeas, 1 c.
Coconut Milk, ½ c. water and 1 tsp Garam Masala*. Simmer 30 mins. Serve over Rice with Lemon.

*I made this for years without the Garam Masala until I got
around to ordering some.

Most of the time, I don't use an actual recipe. Today for supper I will have collard greens sauteed with garlic, mixed with Mayocoba beans (also called Frijoles Canarios or Frijoles Peruanos) in flour tortillas, topped with whatever. Sometimes I just use the sauteed greens alone in tortillas with lots of cheese and some sour cream. Greens are also delicious sauteed with garlic and onion, then cooked on pizza with lots of cheese. I often have them as a big side sauteed with garlic and Aleppo Pepper, a spice I adore. They can be added to almost any soup or bean dish.

They're my go to veggie.

1 Like Save     Thanked by plllog
laceyvail 6A, WV

I tried to edit my above post, but the edit feature no longer works, but I wanted to add that greens are great sauteed as described above and with added sausage. I often use chorizo, then have it all again in tortillas. Greens really can be used in endless ways. I always have sauteed greens in my grain bowls.

sonni1

I like spanish beans and greens. I think the recipe may be on Epicurious. Saute onion and garlic, add greens and let them wilt. Add a can of drained beans (white) and season with smoked paprika.and salt if needed.I like to serve it with pan tomate

party_music50

What greens do you have? Escarole (or kale) makes great 'Utica Greens' (it's a BIG thing here!), or simpler 'greens & beans'. I can make a meal of either. They're also terrific in soups.... like Italian Wedding or various Portuguese soups.

BTW, both those greens should be served with optional crushed red pepper, parmesan, and balsamic vinegar. :O)

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Someone here posted this I think, and I really like her site and the recipes.

A greens idea , easily modified

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I like to make a sort of elevated dirty rice with chopped swiss chard, among other things. I put all the veggies (chard, onions, garlic, peppers, celery, tomatoes) and browned ground meat in a covered pot with white rice, seasonings and broth and steam covered for 25 minutes for a one pot meal.

plllog

An extra thank-you to you all! Every one of your suggestions, including the ones with meat, are anti-boring and have me contemplating the fridge with much more enthusiasm. In general, I'm not fond of hot leafy vegetables unless they're part of another dish. I'm trying to be more diligent about making greens--I can buy most, like kale, collards, chard, dandelion, turnip, etc--any time. I just got some huge leaf collards and chard. They looked so pretty at the store, but at home they were totally uninspring. With your good help, I'm able to contemplate cooking them without the usual ennui. Thanks!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Chard stems are my fave part. I make sure to cut them in big chunks.

annie1992

I just cooked a bunch of collard greens with some sauteed leeks, it was a very nice combination. Elery likes them for breakfast with fried eggs on top.

The vegetables were from the garden, and I cooked the collards, they didn't get tender, so Elery put them in the InstaPot for 45 minutes. They were still tough and he put them in for another half hour.

These are monster collards, they are as tall as I am, and yes, I realize that's not really all that tall, I'm "five foot nothing", but still. And they are tough, boy oh boy. They have really good flavor, though, so I'm thinking a 90 minutes trip through the pressure canner will probably make them tender, but they aren't so fragile that they can't manage to stay pretty much intact.

Annie

yeonassky

Anytime I have a vegetable that I'm not too fond of or in the mood for I turn it into some kind of a pesto or a blended dip. Most of them taste lovely with some black beans nuts cheese jalapeno or other hot peppers and way less oil than they tell you to put in it. All are tossed in the food processor and voila! I do saute them in water and a bit of oil before hand if there is a vegetable that I don't like to eat completely raw. My family just absolutely gobbles it up usually with rye crackers or baby carrots sometimes with a nacho chip. I mix mine with noodles as well.

1 Like Save     Thanked by plllog
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Go to Indian stores, Korean stores, Chinese stores, Japanese stores -- to try out a huuuuge variety of greens.

Some of what I grow in my garden for greens: Hosta, daylily, sweet potato, goji berry, snow peas, Chrysanthemum, New Zealand spinach, chayote -----.

dcarch

cloudy_christine

Colcannon. We always have it on St. Patrick's Day, but it's good anytime. Boil some potatoes. Boil or steam kale until fairly tender. Squeeze out the liquid and chop. (If it's mature kale, strip the ribs out first. Baby kale you can use as is.) Cook sliced scallions in a little milk, and use that milk to mash the potatoes. Beat in the kale. Traditionally served with a pool of melted butter in the middle, but doesn't need it.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I was downtown early last week and stopped in Sweetgreen. Somewhat new I think having never been in before. Maybe a couple years now. I counted about 18 locations via their website. A much fresher and simpler business model over the others that have 'sneeze guard' steam tables and way to many offerings so not much seems fresh.

Good menu for inspiration

Save    
shuffles_gw

My favorite is garlic cream sauce Swiss chard. Sorry, I lost the recipe. Nutmeg is what makes it so tasty.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Architecture 3 Things to Know About Building a Green Home
Take advantage of the newest technologies while avoiding potential pitfalls
Full Story
Decorating Guides 5 Things LEED Interior Designers Want You to Know
LEED means healthier homes — OK, maybe you got that. But some of these facts about the accredited designers may surprise you
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: Addressing the Green Piano in the Room
A homeowner’s favorite furniture item presents an interesting design challenge and reveals a fascinating history
Full Story
Designs & Interiors by The Upholstery Shop has been proudly leading the residential and commercial interior... Read More