SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Something interesting to thing about when designing a house...

Anglophilia
5 years ago

Today, I saw a quote from the recently deceased Marella Agnelli. Now most of us (all of us?) are not designing enormous villas in the hills of Italy, but the idea is right, even for a 1000 sq foot house.

“Every time I create a home or a garden, I ask myself the same questions, where will we gather together in the daytime and in the evening? How can I preserve a few quiet, secluded spots for reading or working? Which is the coolest area in the garden for meals in the shade? Architecture and landscapes influence our lives so much—I’m always fascinated by that.”

Some of us are lucky enough to have more than one family sitting area. In such a case, is one better for night or for daytime? If there is only one, one must be certain it works well in BOTH daytime and nighttime. An example: when we moved here from CA, I knew I would be using the recently made, very expensive custom made chintz curtains in my LR in KY. I had dragged the walls in the CA DR in a color that ended up looking like the inside of a Persian melon - sort of coral but with pink undertones. It worked wonderfully with the chintz. So, I duplicated the dragged walls in the KY house. In LA, the DR faced west and had that brilliant CA sunshine most of the day; in my KY, house, my LR faced east and had very bright (for KY!) sunshine in the morning, and then less in the afternoon. Well, the color was positively garish in less intense KY morning sunshine. It was okay under artificial light at night, but not nearly as effective as in a DR lite with a chandelier on a dimmer switch and candles in sconces and on the table. Frankly, it looked awful, and it had been a LOT of work to do (yes, I did it myself!). After living with this for 6 years, I finally figured out what color the LR walls should be; I wallpapered them in a soft buttery yellow and ivory striped paper. Over the years of reading English shelter magazines, I have learned that a yellow drawing room is a favorite in the UK - it brings sunshine and light into a room that may not get a lot of either. And it looks wonderful whether at 9AM when the sun is quite bright in the room, or at 8PM at night under artificial light.

I particularly like her saying to include a few "quiet, secluded spots for reading or working". We often comment when plans are posted, that there is no place for any family member to be alone. Heck, with the ubiquitous open concept kitchens, the cook cannot even retreat to the quiet of a kitchen, while children play/yell/TV blares in the "great room". Nor is there anywhere to quietly read a book while the focal point of the great room, is the enormous TV over the fireplace. One does not always want to have to retreat to ones bedroom to read.

Just some food for thought. Marella Agnelli had multiple homes across the world and they were all fabulously beautiful, but she had the right idea about what truly "works" in a house.

Comments (6)