Icons do not show as pictures and text blurry

Lars

This problem has been going on for several weeks, and I kept thinking that it would go away by itself but it has not.

The first problem is blurry text, and this happened right after a Windows update; I am using Windows 10 on a desktop computer that is less than two years old. The blurry text is only on the internet, but it is the same on both Firefox and Chrome. It is not an issue on word processor or other programs.

The second problem is more irritating: on Windows File Explorer the icons show as the program icon for my photo viewing program with "JPG", "TIF", etc at the upper left of a little box that is the program icon. When trying to post photos on line, the icons show up the same way, and I cannot see a preview of the photo to make sure I am selecting the right one. I have two image viewing programs that allow me to see previews of photos: HP Cartogra Photo Manager v1.0 and FastStone Image Viewer 6.3. I recently installed Double Commander 0.9.5 beta build 8947M, and it works fairly well but is not as good as FastStone. I am less concerned with getting File Explorer to work right, since the other programs can take its place, but I do need for icons to show as small photos when trying to post photos on line.

Do you think these problems are related? They started happening at the same time, but that could be a coincidence.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

1. Blurry text...this sounds like some kind of browser hack...but that's just a guess. Do a complete virus/malware scan. 2. Having more than one image viewer at a time sounds to me like a recipe for trouble. Each one will try to have it's own way making changes to the registry...setting file associations...maybe one of them was installed from an unsafe source...there are probably other possibilities I haven't thought of yet. My choice would be to uninstall all of them...reboot...then choose one and see if the situation has improved. If you must try a different image viewer, uninstall what you have before installing another. Just my $.02.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

I'm not much of a Windows user but after doing a brief search, I'd probably check display scaling in settings.

And try turning on "Let Windows try to fix apps so they’re not blurry.":

(Image from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091364/windows-10-fix-blurry-apps)

============================================

As for image files not showing as icons you might see if anything in this thread helps:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5779219/how-do-i-fix-this-on-my-computer

Note there may be two places where you need to make changes.
(1) While browsing folders in File Explorer

(2) In the Upload Dialog

Save    
Lars

I don't think the image viewing programs are the problem, since I have them on my laptop without any problems. HP Cartogra I installed from a disc, and FastStone I've had for two years without a problem. I installed Double Commander after the problem started.

None of the solutions for the blurry text worked.

Save    
Mo

Try this for the blurry text. Enter cleartype (all one word) into search. Select Adjust ClearType. Make sure the box is checked, then follow the prompts.

For Windows Explorer display, go to the View tab and select small, medium, large, or extra large icons.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

I had already turned on cleartext when I did the color calibration for my monitor.

For Windows Explorer display, when I select icons, I do not get pictures - I just get icons of the program that will open the pictures.

Save    
Mo

Does blurry text also appear in in IE and Edge?

Is that program set as the default photo viewer? If you change it to something else, such as Photos or Windows Photo Viewer, does the Explorer display change?

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

I changed the default photo viewer, and that did not affect the Explorer display.

If I use Edge, the text is NOT blurry, but I still cannot see photos when I try to post a photo, even when I select medium or large (or even extra large) icons.

I really do not want to use Edge as my primary browser, but I guess it does have some advantages, although I do not know why. I do not have IE on my computer, that I know of. Maybe I should install Opera.

Save    
Mo

IE should be in the start menu in the Windows Accessories folder, or type Internet Explorer in the search box. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17621/internet-explorer-downloads

For the blurry text, see if Step 2 in this Chrome help page fixes it. https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95290?hl=en

Lars

The "smooth edge of screen fonts" in the "appearance" worked! Thanks so much for that - I don't think I would have found it on my own. Now I just have to get Windows Explorer fixed.

1 Like Save    
Mo

Click the icon where it says Options, and Folder Options will open. Go to the View tab, and make sure Always show icons, never thumbnails is unchecked.

Lars

Thanks again! That fixed it. I had no idea I needed to do that. Everything works correctly now.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros Houzz Call: Show Us Your Logo!
A picture is worth a thousand words, but your company’s symbol may be worth its weight in gold. We’d like to hear the graphic details
Full Story
Modern Architecture Design Icons: Le Corbusier, Pioneer of Modern Architecture
'Prolific' and 'influential' don't do him justice. Learn about the legendary architect and MoMA's new Le Corbusier exhibition here
Full Story
Midcentury Homes Houzz Tour: Addicted to Iconic Furniture in Houston
Most people buy furniture to fit their homes. This collector of midcentury modern pieces takes a different approach
Full Story
Our design services are tailored to your unique needs, timeline and budget. With your vision and our expertise,... Read More
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More