SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

The good the bad and the ugly

djacob Z6a SE WI
4 years ago

We are at that time of the year for many of us that our hostas are not looking their best. I thought it would be fun to show “the good, the bad and the ugly” from our yards. However many of each you would like to share. Me first:

the good

Magic Island

Sum & Substance

Next post as Houzz was giving me trouble yesterday with multiple pictures

Comments (49)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The Bad

Vulcan

Maui Buttercups

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The ugly

August Moon

And the ugliest of all

Diamond Tiara

• Related Discussions

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Q

Comments (1)
    Shame on them! I love this rose.
    ...See More

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Q

Comments (14)
    Lori - That's a shame about your Memphis not scaping. At least I get some blooms from mine. The flowers are large and gorgeous, and a bud count of 10-12 is actually pretty good for a pink in my garden this season. I'm going to try dividing Crazy Ivan and planting it in two places to see if I can get it to thrive again. For a couple of years it was one of my best clumps. Kay - Shelby is only a couple of inches shorter than it should be. Last year it was about 6 inches taller than normal. Neon Flamingo was a new one this spring that I got from another Tennessee garden. The plant was very healthy with an excellent root system. Although I didn't expect it to be full height, I did expect it would deliver more than a 14-inch scape. Debra
    ...See More

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...all Organic

Q

Comments (5)
    What a good idea to photograph & research the overall growth habit. I also like to see the blooms with the whole plant when I'm looking at roses online. It's too bad you didn't post this on the main forum, you would get more responses there. I also hate it when the leaves themselves look bad, it detracts from the beauty of the blooms.
    ...See More

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly…

Q

Comments (13)
    The house I bought recently was built in 1979 and had never been updated. It had the lightbox in the kitchen. And arched golden oak cabinets would have been a big step up from the cabinets that were in the house. Formica countertops, . . well - you get the drift. I was so happy they left everything the way it was and didn't muck it up with half-baked and cheap changes. The price reflected the state of the house (functionally and mechanically the house was fantastic, just not aesthetically). We gutted the bathrooms and kitchen, and I got the kitchen of my dreams. We took a pass on other houses that had been "updated" but either not to my aesthetic or standards. Cheap changes do not improve a house.
    ...See More
  • n2hostas (Kansas)
    4 years ago

oh poor Diamond Tiara!!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked n2hostas (Kansas)
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ls butterball, journey end and LS AlexAndra, LS Meter maid and Hawaiian luana, Nifty Fifty and Hudson bay

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Skywriter in bloom, LS surf rider, Galaxy, cold heart, LS symphony

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

that diamond tiara would probably be a good candidate for a vinegar drench ...

pickling aisle.. big jug vinegar ...

watering can or bucket ... mix one part vinegar to 9 parts vinegar ... and sprinkle all over and around it ... and make them bat turds die ...

probably do the same for the others that are bad ...

whats to lose.. a couple bucks for the vinegar ....

ken

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • bkay2000
    4 years ago

Yes, there was an end cap of regular distilled vinegar last weekend for $2.32 per gallon.

However, with as dry as it is here this summer, slugs don't have a chance.

bkay

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked bkay2000
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

We got some recent rains so getting worse. And am marking hosts that simply have to be in pots. Cherry berry was trashed last year, and Prince if darkness 2 years in the row.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lindalana—. I missed your bad and ugly

n2hostas, it is soooo damned, I almost considered dumping in the garbage

ken==>> it’s one part water to 9 of vinegar......right?? I will start with that one.

Bkay, thanks for the sale tip!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

djacobz, it's one part vinegar (or ammonia) to 9 parts water. Ken probably didn't have his coffee for the day!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That’s what I thought! Lolololo

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

Phew! I'm glad newhostalady cleared that up. I think that much vinegar would be a killer.
    lindalana, yours are still looking pretty good.

The good...
    June Fever is dark green but still looks good. (Excuse the tree debris from above)

Still pretty good (ignore the orange netting for the City project)

The fading.... (I can't call it bad)

Golden Sculpture

The bad..... (because I didn't keep up the Sluggo and can't help the hard water spots)

Waterslide

The Ugly.... (so much sun now that the tree it was under was cut down)

Piedmont Gold

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

sandyslopes, will your Piedmont Gold eventually adjust if given plenty of water? I have 20 or so hosta affected by a neighbor and myself each taking down a diseased ash tree that provided dappled sun.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Kari 4b Minneapolis
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

Kari, I'm not sure how well Piedmont Gold will adjust, but it did much better than I expected for this being its first year to get so much sun. Before this it never got lighter than a chartreuse color.

As for your hostas, some do better in sun than others, so it depends which ones you have. But the good thing about more sun is they put on a lot of growth and get big and lush. I've got some hostas in sun that get the uglies as soon as July, but wow, do they look good before that. So it's all what you can tolerate. You might end up moving some of yours that burn too easily, but it's worth letting them try to adjust for a year or two to see which ones can handle it.

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

That sounds like a good plan. Thank you!

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

Adding (because Houzz won't let me edit tonight) that I know I've read that giving more water helps. I've never been able to water enough to find out how true that is. Also, being on a slope with sandy soil, and some years having water restrictions limits my ability to try to drown them, lol.

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Haha. That makes sense.

4 years ago

it's one part vinegar (or ammonia) to 9 parts water

==>>> correct.. no further comment

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sandyslopes, thanks for sharing. I am sorry to hear the Waterslides slides are slug prone. I planted two in July. I was hoping they would be more resistant. Also, so far I think I win the prize for ugliest......... lol

ken, I know you had your coffee this morning! But truly——-I knew you meant water to vinegar >>> I was just trying to tease you.......lol

who‘ s up next for the “good the bad and the ugly?” Ken, babka, Steve, Jon, perren_all....

Anyone game?

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Do you have to worry about the vinegar burning the hosta plants? I just used it for the first time and wonder if I should go out and spray down my hosta. I'm nervous.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

I'm game! Between some near freezing night a couple of weeks ago and deer I unfortunately have a lot of bad and ugly.

Smash Hit still looking pretty good, just showing one cold damaged leaf.

Dinner Mint & Venetian Star still decent but Woodland Elf on the right is showing it's displeasure with the cold.

Poor Shade Fanfare almost eaten to the nubs. Blue Angel is a last resort for the deer.

Grrr! Fall Dazzler. On the up side if I spray today I will be able to see the late flower show really well.

The good the bad & the ugly all in one. Giantland Mouse Cheese holding up, Frosted Mini Hearts affected by the cold and Rainforest Sunrise, Goober eaten. Liberty in the back just sad, sad, sad!
    Gemstone is excellent, Curly Fries always goes down early and well American Halo was really tasty! I really should have kept up on the spraying. I have only myself to blame.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Perennial.all, none of us is perfect when caring for the garden. I have slugs and cutworms but you have to contend with deer. While they are beautiful to see, it is difficult to keep up with them I’m sure. And, life gets in the way. Still think I have the prize for the ugliest....... lol

thanks for sharing!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kari, the water/vinegar mixture does not harm the plant. It will kill slug eggs and When you do it in Spring too, that will reduce the numbers as well. One part vinegar to 9 parts water. No worries!

4 years ago

Yes the deer are beautiful but a constant threat. I am in the middle of 3 major deer yards, big surprise I have issues with them lol!

Haha a dubious distinction but your Diamond Tiara really is a winner for ugliest. Most of mine will never get the chance to get the uglies.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Because of the deer or because you do the vinegar spray?

4 years ago

Do you have to worry about the vinegar burning the hosta plants?

==>>> KARI!!!!! ..lets focus.. youre in Minneapolis ... crikey woman.. it might snow next week ... lol ... and regardless of that.. they will be gelatinous gobs of goo ... in a few weeks after the first forst/freeze ...

there was a point to the dilution rate... if you go ruin the dilution.. then it was a waste of time ...

now that said.. if you did it in august.. on a 100 degree day ... when the plant was baking in full sun ... yes.. it would probably burn it ...

ken

ps: i always wondered if the various leaf eaters would appreciate a little vinegar and oil on the plants they eat ... aka.. the salad bar you offer them ...

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lindalana, it seems like there are more names than hosta pictures in your first post. I am wondering what the last photo is, the blue and ivory one?

4 years ago

Yes because of the deer. I do a cleanup of all the foliage in fall so I do not generally have an issue with slugs/snails. I will have a lot less to clean up this year since the deer have left me with celery sticks. There was one bed that I left fallen leaves on and I had some slug damage on those.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Debra, there are two hostas in the middle pics, Journey end comes with LS AlexAndra and LS Meter maid has Hawaiian luau in the back.

The last hosta is Hudson Bay.

Can assure you we are splitting prize on uglies, just am not in habit taking pics of ugly stuff... Calls cheating lol

But yeah, last week made the difference... Fall is there

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

>>>>>KEN<<<<<

I knew you'd think I'm crazy! lol

I used the dilution rate that was given here --1 part vinegar to 9 parts water. I went online after I sprayed and was reading how you don't want to get vinegar on the leaves. It's been in the 80s the past week and I have a handful of freshly planted hosta I want to settle in before winter. I was worried burned leaves would affect that.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lindalana>>>duh....... I am apparently blind. I posted one per picture so I assumed everyone else would, even though I can clearly see TWO in the pic....lol

I like that Hudson Bay, reminds me of Ivory Queen.

• lkayetwvz5
    4 years ago

Well here are some real opposites!

The good - Gold Standard and Elegans in total shade.

If you thought you missed the good picture here are the REAL bads!

Royal Standard and Undulata Albomarginata in afternoon sun.

Gold Standard in full sun.

My 3 new purchases are under two layers of window screens and are being sprayed with the vinegar solution until it cools down so I can plant them. I'm losing tree leaves faster than the temps are cooling down and it's still in the 90s here.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked lkayetwvz5
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I may need to hand over the prize for the ugliest....that GS in full sun is bad, but my diamond Tiara may still take the prize. ......... a dubious honor to say the least! lol

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

I have some ugly hostas so don't judge yet! Heavenly Tiara, Iced Lemon and Whee.

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

I'm having trouble uploading the pictures so hold that thought...

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Iced Lemon

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Whee!

Heavenly Tiara is not long for this world and poor Whee had 11 slugs when I sprayed it the other night!

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

I do have some beauties, as well. Chorus Girl, Prairie Moon, Blue Ivory and Queen Josephine.

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Chorus Girl

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Heavenly Tiara, omg That beats my record of 3-4.....lololo. Maybe we are tied for the ugliest! Hahaha Heavenly tiara............poor poor thing!

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Prairie Moon

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Blue Ivory

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Queen Josephine

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Oh my, I have 10 to 12 more hostas that are a mess right now. I am the clear winner!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kari, my Blue Ivory looks as good as yours!

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

I just realized I never posted this. My sad and ugly Rainforest Sunrise.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The link or pic didn’t come through, but that’s ok because I think ‘Heavenly Tiara’ is the clear winner! Not sure what the prize is........maybe I should mail order a new HT for you? However since the Tiaras are so prone to slug issues maybe you would choose something else! lol. All of your goods were really good! Love that chorus Girl!!

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    4 years ago

Haha. I fixed it. You're right, it's not as bad as Heavenly Tiara but it's still bad.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County