SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

shive
6 years ago

Luckily there's more good than bad or ugly in my garden. But I do want to share one that is so frustrating.

Scarlet Angel is one of the best budded and branched (4-5 way) cultivars in my garden this year. But so few of the blooms open well and are unmarred that I wish it had fewer buds.

Here's an acceptable Scarlet Angel - still not perfect.

Yesterday there were nine blooms on the clump. Three that wouldn't open at all, two OK blooms, and the rest dew spotted and splotchy. It's days like this I think the name should be Scarlet Devil.

Abilene Lillian has been a real joy this season with multiple blooms open nearly every day.

Cary Grant never has a bad bloom either, and the blooms are very sunfast.

While it does have very short scapes, the blooms on Inviting Romance have been a delight.

Braided Edgings was on the move-out list after two years with very low bud counts and short scapes. This year the scapes were the registered height, it has bud counts in the high teens, and all the fans have rebloom scapes coming. Sometimes we just have to be patient until the plants settle in.

Herbgirls Cherry Moonshine - I received this as bonus one year and planted it in a raised bed. After the season was over, I decided I didn't like it and pitched it to the side of another bed. During the winter, it rooted itself and really took off. It's vigorous and well-budded and always shows off in a clump.

Memphis has improved over last year when it had two buds on one scape and three on the other. This year its at 10 and 12 buds, but no increase in fans. I love the blooms, but I wish it were more vigorous.

Crazy Ivan - Great bloom here, but its on a six-inch scape. It has never recovered from the bad winter three years ago when it lost half of its 10 fans. It has seven fans now, but only this one scaped. Before, I would have said it got too much shade. But that's not the case, since the neighbors cut down their gigantic walnut tree in July of last year. I want this one to recover, but I'm losing patience.

Texas Blue Eyes is another one that took a hit that same winter. It has not recovered either. It went from 10 fans to four. Only one scape of the four is blooming, and the plant has a 6-inch scape. Is it worth keeping plants like this?

More to come ...

Comments (14)