SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zabarino

120 year old home, mysterious HVAC configuration problem

zabarino
4 years ago

Last November we moved into a home near Valley Forge area built in 1904. House is great. Lots of renovations and lots of character. Central air and a gas furnace for heat. To state my issue I’ll give you a few facts first:

The house has a central chimney that is capped. Is not used for ventilating any equipment nor are any fireplaces in use. I am sure it is integral to the structural soundness of the house.

The furnace and vents are connected to the chimney system but again I stress NOT for venting...... the chimney serves as a vestibule to deliver forced hot or cold air (depending on the season) to several rooms.

in addition to the chimney there is new duct work that delivers air to several rooms. But, for example, our finished attic employs 100% chimney delivered air.

the chimney blowing air into my home appears to be clean. there is no smell or concerning soot but it is not lined whatsoever as I can tell, and regularly I am vacuuming up brick and sand-like dust from just under the vents. It’s a small amount really, but a nuisance. And it means the interior of the chimney is deteriorating. Possibly faster due to constant temperature changes.

I often think about the condensation that may form on the inside of the chimney and what it will do to the brick overtime. Also the inability to “clean” this —I mean what if it grows mold? I’m no dummy but when we bought the house we saw that it had great looking ductwork coming from the basement and didn’t realize some vents that were built into the chimney.

what irks me more is the homeowner previously was in plumbing and heating, likely did the job himself but wasn’t thinking long term. We could possibly seal these vents off but there would be no delivery/duct work to any of the 4 bedrooms, and about 50% reduction to the main living area downstairs.

I've consulted a heating and plumbing contractor who came out and said he cannot run vents , even custom, through the chimney ; chimney is too narrow. He looked into a ”spray on pvc” liner for us that they use in old cast iron sewer lines but the company won’t entertain the idea.

HVAC contractor said he has seen configurations like this before, that it's not against any code, but cannot come up with a solution for us. He put us in touch with a stovepipe guy who I will be in touch with soon. Am I wrong to be scrambling for a fix and so appalled that nobody seems to have one?

My goal is to waterproof/maintain interior of the chimney. If lining with metal is not an option then line with clay tiles or “cast in place”.., so the inside doesn’t continue to crumble and show up on my floor. If NONE of these is an option I at least imagine there must be a poly acrylic spray or something to bind the brick and stone dust in there and give it some longevity and prevent the onslaught of debris.

my main question is has anyone ever seen anything like this before, and what did you do?!

Thank you

Comments (33)