SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hectorba

Help designing HVAC for 4 level home in Seattle

Herbert Bee
7 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are doing a major remodel on an old craftsman house. Currently the house has one main floor and one unfinished basement with the floor 4' below grade. There's an older gas furnace in the basement with ductwork running to every room on the main level.

As part of the remodel we will finish the basement and turn it into an apartment (850 sq ft), keep the main floor with some minor layout changes (1250 sq ft), add a second floor with bedrooms and baths (1250 sq ft), and a top attic floor with an open plant to be used as office space (900 sq ft). So 4 levels of finished space with a surface of 4250 sq ft.

We are insulating all the exterior walls and basement floor, installing good quality windows and insulating the roof with spray foam. We will have 620 sq ft of glazed surface.

The house is located in Seattle which has mild winters and dry warm summers. On a cold month we will have 700 heating degree days. A very hot month will have 250 cooling degree days. We have natural gas at the property and cost per Therm is ~$.90. Cost per kWh delivered is ~$0.11.

I'd really appreciate some ideas or guidance on which way to go heating the house. I've heard from a couple of contractors and they were all over the place on their approach: one furnace vs two furnaces, hydronic heat, heat pump or no heat pump, electrical heat for basement, etc.

Here's are the factors that are important to me in order of priority:

1. Cost to install. We are trying to keep things close to budget so this is important.

2. Independent heating control the basement apartment and the rest of the house. The apartment may be rented out so this is pretty much a must.

3. Not having a ton of ductwork reducing headroom in the basement.

4. Cost to run.

5. Independent heating control to the attic.

6. Independent heating control to the second floor.

7. Cooling. Don't really need A/C or humidity control for the whole house although of course it would be nice.

I've posted also to hvac-talk.com but would also like to get input from home owners which I'm more likely to find here.

Thanks so much in advance!

Hector

Comments (16)