SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_b

Help me design a new HVAC system. 1950's Cape Cod

Brandon_B
11 years ago

I'm renovating a cape cod style home in South Eastern PA that currently has hot water baseboard heat (oil), small closets and window unit AC. I wanted to keep the baseboard for heat, and just put in AC, but the more I get into this renovation, the more baseboard I have to repair, and some will just be lost due to cabinetry and other appliances. I'm starting to think along the lines of pulling out the baseboards and going to a heat pump. What should I do?

1550 sq ft - 650 up and 900 down. The second floor has knee walls and is akin to a finished attic. The space above is very small, but perhaps not to small for an air handler.

I don't have Natural Gas available, and if I ditch the baseboards I don't know if having the oil tank in the basement would make much sense. I could go with propane (good excuse to get a propane stove).

Some things I have come up with after having a few HVAC guys come out (all are with just electric aux. strips):

1. Small single stage unit both in the attic and basement. 13ish seer range. Medium Cost. Average efficiency and comfort.

2. Larger 2 stage units both in the attic and basement. High Cost. Better efficiency and comfort.

3. Large single stage unit 15ish seer in basement. Low Cost. Average efficiency but comfort may be sacrificed on second floor since there really aren't any good routes for the ductwork.

Also, some efficiency and comfort may be lost with option 1 since they don't seem to make 1.5 ton units with decent seer ratings.

Thoughts, suggestions...Am I even going down the right path or should I be looking at propane to supplement the heat pump and help with comfort?

The baseboards are just soooo nice and warm, but too darn expensive. I want an economical replacement.

Comments (13)