SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysmomfl

Cape Cod style home- upstairs insulation help please

Sunnysmom
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our home is a modular, 72' long x 29' wide and has 6 dormers, 4 are 6' wide and 2 are 10' wide. We have a vented roof and vented soffits. SW Florida ( close to Central FL). An ice/water shield was installed under the shingles btw.

Please provide suggestions on what type of insulation to install in the half story unfinished upstairs. There are so many confusing articles online.

I had started looking at double faced rigid foam ( greenstarpanels), the estimate was much higher than expected ( >8K) so I decided to look at other options before deciding.

Now I am just confused. Another insulation company that came to do a quote for faced batting also provided a quote for open cell foam insulation (5.5" R20) that was several thousand less than the rigid foam. I am not sure if open cell is even a good idea in that type of space because of all of the confusing articles about foam in vented attic spaces. There was no mention of baffles which another article said were required.

Help pls! The only thing I do know is that I want the insulation to go all the way from the bottom to the top of the roofline so we can enclose and use as much of the space as possible and use those nooks/crannies for storage.

Comments (9)