Leftover Dill Pickle Juice

nancyofnc

I so dimly remember that I used this for something but for the life of me I can't today. Help!

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagrass_gw

I drizzle warm cooked potatoes with it when I'm going to make potato salad, then proceed with the rest of the ingredients (always use chopped dills in mine).

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

save it, if you get cramps in your legs, calves, feet. Drink it (yeah I know); very quick cramp relief. Store it in the fridge. You see the large bottles they haul onto the FB field, when a player goes down, writhing in pain. There is an 'X' on the side of the bottle. Dill pickle juice.

1 Like Save    
nancyofnc

Whoo! Leg cramps? Holy moly not in my camp, no FB'lers here. I will watch for the X on games on TV though!

Save    
Feathers11

Interesting about the leg cramps! Never knew that.

I don't often have dill pickles but I use it as a base for marinades. I also drizzle it over green beans, and make a salad dressing with it.

1 Like Save    
plllog

I made chicken salad today and chopped some spicy dill pickle chips for it. Instead of a lemon, I just poured some pickle juice in after the pickles to lend acidity. Both chicken and tuna salad benefit greatly from some acid. I used to save pickle juice, but ended up choking my fridge, so now I try to remember to use it up along the way. :)

Save    
morz8

I do use it in dressings, tuna and chicken salad for sandwiches.

A friend told me about the juice for leg cramps. I never get them so was only about half listening to him. Not long after, middle of the night, a leg cramp! Desperate, I tried the pickle juice and barely awake it was a swig from the jar. I don't know if it caused the cramp to loosen but the cramp did go away and didn't come back. I went back to bed. I haven't had reason to research a second time.

Save    
plllog

So you made me wonder why, and I went poking around. I don't know the veracity of this, but the Cooper Institute's article on the subject sounded more like they were going from scientific research than off the cuff:

"Now, you might be saying, wait a minute, pickle juice works for me. Yes, there is research showing pickle juice shortens muscle cramp duration, but not because of its high electrolyte concentration. In fact, it takes about 30 minutes for even small volumes (2/3 cup) of pickle juice to leave the stomach (Miller et al., 2010a). Hence, blood electrolyte levels would not increase quickly enough to explain cramp relief. However, the acetic acid in pickle juice is ‘noxious tasting’ and proposed to chemically stimulate a reflex in the back of the throat. This reflex has been shown to decrease activity in the alpha motor neurons which causes muscle relaxation. You don’t even have to swallow the pickle juice to trigger the reflex, which can relieve cramps in less than 3-4 minutes (Miller, 2010b). It is possible that other noxious tasting substances may also provide relief from exercise-associated muscle cramps.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

This was research done at Iowa State .... year's ago. I get relief in 3-4 minutes and that's no gag ... reflex. They even sell frozen pickle packs for diabetics.

Save    
lindac92

Pickle juice is also good for making more pickles....just fill the jar with various veggies like, onions blanched carrots, cauliflower, etc....even hard boiled eggs!

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

I use it to marinate chicken, like Chick Fil A supposedly does. I don't know if they do or not, but it makes a decent marinade anyway.

Annie

3 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I put a little pickle juice in my Chili. Not much, maybe 1/4 cup or so.

Save    
1 Like Save    
Lars

Black vinegar is a better choice to drink for leg cramps than pickle juice, as pickle juice can have too much salt in it. I do often substitute pickle juice when I want both acidity and salt, and I frequently add it to tartar sauce instead of lemon juice.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Actually, I believe a magnesium supplement will do a good job of helping with muscle cramps & spasms. And it's not full of sodium either.

And I remember a past discussion mentioned using the 'juice' for marinating meat as well.

Forum search results:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/cooking/query/pickle-juice/nqrw

Save    
Lars

I especially liked this pickle thread, and it inspired me to make more refrigerator pickles. However, I found out that I do not like daikon radish in my pickles, although I like daikon otherwise. I gave most of the daikon radish pickles to a friend of mine who is Chinese, and she said that they were like what her mother makes.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Herb Garden Essentials: Grow Your Own Tasty, Frilly Dill
Flavor your food and attract butterflies with easy-care (and pretty) dill in the garden
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: An Arsenal of Tools for Healthy Eating
Make cooking and juicing easier whether you follow a vegetarian, vegan, Paleo, primal or other diet
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Make Do and Mend
Experience the satisfaction of fixing, repurposing and creating things yourself around the home
Full Story