Changes to Windows and the elderly

jane__ny

This is a complaint. I should probably send this to Microsoft.

Husband is 87 yrs old. Retired doctor and photographer. Has most of his photos saved on flash drives and has been using Win 7 for years. Before that, Win XP. Did fine with the transition to Win 7.

His Win 7 computer ran out of space and he couldn't edit his photos. I tried to get him to delete photos that weren't worth keeping, but he only deleted some, not enough to make a difference.

Our daughter decided to buy him a new laptop running Win 10 with a huge hard-drive (2T) and SS drive. Thought this would be great as I could transfer his photos over to the new computer.

I'm a bit younger than hubby (16yrs) and more comfortable dealing with computer changes, but the crap that Windows is now throwing at users might be fine for younger people but is hitting the elderly hard.

I have an older Win 10 which I learned to use a few years ago. He is flustered. He can't find how to find the drives on the computer showing how many space is left on his zillion drives. I tried to help him but I can't find it either. Put in a flash drive and in the past you go to My Computer and look at the drive and look at properties. I can do that on my older Win 10, but on his, can't find it. Can't figure out how to set up his desktop so he can have the shortcuts to the things he regularly uses.

Then, Windows keeps popping up telling him he needs to sign up for a Windows ID. We use Firefox and it keeps reverting to First Drive or whatever and I have to keep setting his default back to Firefox.

He's so confused and frankly depressed and feels he will never learn to use this new computer. I think it is terrible and agree the mess is more than I want to deal with. He waits till I get home to help and frankly, I'm stumped with the changes. I don't have time to keep trying to help him. If I took the computer and sat with it for a few days, I'd probably figure it out, but I know he won't remember the changes.

Sorry for the rant. I think Microsoft especially, should remember that the majority of their users are now elderly or getting there. I find Apple doesn't change their formats with each update. Microsoft is terrible, forcing you to sign up for a Microsoft Account, use Edge and their Apps, is terrible.

Can't return the computer now, will try to find a 'gentle tech person' who can set his machine up in a similar way to Win 7 (hopefully).

Sorry, no advice is needed.

Jane

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shuffles_gw

jane, I know you didn't ask for advice but here it is. When I got my new Windows 10 PC, my tech set it up with Classic Shell. It looks just like Windows 7. There was no learning curve.

1 Like Save     Thanked by jane__ny
Elmer J Fudd

Another vote for Classic Shell, it will change the appearance of the user interface to almost exactly resemble earlier version of Windows.

I think I've made this suggestion to this person before.

Answers to situations like this are very easily found. It's easy to be frustrated when lacking information but it's unnecessary when useful information is so readily available.

Me? I never "learned" to use Windows 8 or 10. It wasn't necessary. I have 4 PCs with one or the other (maybe 5) it and all have Classic Shell. I believe 10 in particular has what I'll call a "retro" setting you can use to revert to the classic Windows appearance without needing the Classic Shell add-on but I never bothered to pursue that.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

" Microsoft especially, should remember that the majority of their users are now elderly or getting there."

I don't believe this is true.

3 Likes Save    
mtvhike

I've been using Windows since version 1.0! I find the changes between versions usually not useful, but I have to live with them. I think XP was the best one created but I was forced to "upgrade" to 7 because MS ceased supporting the security features my employers require. The same thing just happened with Win 7, but because new computers now come with Win 10, I had already battled the learning curve. I think MS wants to be more Mac-like. I hope Jane and her hubby can take advantage of their new computer. Have you discovered the right-hand button on the mouse? It's quite useful.

Save    
dadoes

The constant menu and control panel structure changes that Microsoft forces on software users via upgrades/updates are ridiculous.

Save     Thanked by jane__ny
jemdandy

My main computer is Windows 7 Professional and I like it best of all. As far as operating the computer, the jump from XP to Win7 was not difficult, however, the move to Win10 is terrible - I hate it!. The user interface on Win7 was well worked out; Why the complete change and hiding everything? I suppose that if you were a smart phone user, Win10 is approximately the same if you have a touch screen monitor, but who wants to reach out and smear his screen on a desktop?

For searching for files, tell your hubby to try this:

Instead of left clicking on the icon in the lower left corner, right click on it and selection panel should pop up. In that panel, click on a selection called something like "file explorer" and a panel comes up showing various drives and storage devices. Click on the storage device you wish to explore to see a list of files stored on it. You can open more that one storage device and drag and drop files from one to the other the same as earlier versions. Hard drives, logical drives, and USB storage, are all treated the same. Before pulling out a USB drive, go to the lower right grouping of icons and close the USB storage device to make it safe for removal.

Mo

In the Windows 10 file explorer, My Computer is now called This PC. Clicking on that will show the drives. Also, once the file explorer is opened, you'll see the yellow folder icon on the taskbar. Right click on that and select pin to taskbar on the menu. Then all he has to do is click the icon on the taskbar to open it.

A Microsoft account isn't required to use a Windows 10 computer. Using Edge or any of the apps isn't necessary either.

Can your daughter show you and your husband how to use Windows 10? Maybe one new thing each time she visits? You can find the answer to just about anything using Google or YouTube, or just come here and ask questions.

jane__ny

Thank you all for the responses.

I haven't gotten a tech to come in yet. I'll try to find someone this week.

To clarify, I have Win10 and have it for 3 years. I have navigated my way around it. It seems that his new computer confounds me.

How do I find Windows Shell? I could install that for him and help him move his photos over to the new machine. I would appreciate any help with that.

At his age, change comes with a lot of difficulty. Frankly, he gets so angry at technology which he feels he is forced to deal with. You should see what goes on with his Iphone, lol!

What I want is for Windows to appear the way he learned how to use it years ago with XP and Win 7. He has used Win 7 for years. The computer I use now was given to him and it was Win 10 and the same problems happened. So, I removed it and he continued to use Win 7. I took his Win10 and that's what I've been using.

His new machine is a Lenovo and I'm not sure if its set up differently, but I can't find the drives. I know about 'This PC' but when I open that, I only get a few things, non of which I'm looking for. I tried the search bar but nothing.

I've only tried once and really need to sit down and see if I could figure it out. I'm sure I could but then he wouldn't have the computer.

If Windows Shell would solve the problem, I'll install it. I did get an external drive to try to install Picture It which is what he likes to use for editing. The disc is so old, but I got it installed on his Win7 (it had a disc drive) a few years ago, I'm assuming I could do the same now.

AT age 87, his memory and ability to problem solve has diminished. He frustrates quickly and gets angry and upset. I usually jump in and straighten things out but this has me stumped.

Thanks again everyone, I didn't expect so many responses. I really appreciate all the information you provided.

Jane

Save    
Mo

What are you looking for when you open This PC? Doesn't the C Drive appear?

Classic Shell is now called Open-Shell.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

1 Like Save    
jane__ny

Thank you Mo.

I followed your link but apparently you need to be a computer tech to download it. Have you looked at the link. I even opened an account and was presented with a page of things I have no idea what it is. There is no download button. There was a invitation to learn how to code.

I think this is over my head.

I tried Googling Windows Classic Shell and found a bunch of websites but don't know which to trust.

Any suggestions?

Jane

Save    
Mo

Classic Shell is no more. In the link I posted, at the bottom of the page is another link that takes you to the download page with the Open-Shell .exe file. No account is needed. I don't use it myself, because I like to stay current and use Windows 10 as is. I took a look at some of the posts in the forum there. With the issues and bugs you probably shouldn't bother.

I'm 65, so I know how difficult it can be to accept and learn new changes. But I really don't think Windows 10 is hard. Save your money and try asking a few questions here.

Save    
jane__ny

Mo, There is no 'This PC.' Does not appear in the start menu.

I have two Windows10 laptops. One is HP and its new, bought this year. That has the Start menu everyone else has. So does my older (3yrs) laptop. Both show 'this PC' in the Start menu.

This one Lenovo, does not show it. I have to find C by searching on the search bar. When I do, it shows C, but not the other drives. I have multiple things plugged in, yet those drives do not appear. I have a mouse, monitor and two flash drives plugged in. I can't find them, they do not appear.

Some of the things I open in search appear in Chinese. I have the laptop set to U.S. English, yet Chinese appears when I search 'Drives.'

I think I will try downloading a Classic Shell from one of the sites on my Google Search. Maybe C.net or Filehippo.com

I have a free night tonight to fool with this machine and thought I could get things straightened out for him without waiting and paying for a computer tech. I just want it set up like Win 7 which he knows how to use.

Jane

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Stay current?

Issues and bugs? I've been using Classic Shell for at least half a dozen years on at least half a dozen PCs, back to first getting Win 8 and subsequently on Win 10 machines. No bugs, no problems, no inconsistencies.

If under new "management" Open shell is having problems, simply download the old Classic Shell. I found it in a few seconds. It works fine.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Save    
johnc777

Couple of quick thoughts...

It's probably OneDrive that keeps asking the be set up. OneDrive is Microsoft's cloud storage. If you set it up, it will automatically back up selected folders to the cloud but storage space, unless you want to pay extra, is limited so backing up hundreds of gigabytes of pictures isn't an option. OneDrive has nothing to do with his choice of web browser.

Edge is Microsoft's latest, greatest browser and frankly works quite well and certainly better than Internet Explorer. But if he likes Firefox, he can use that too.

My Computer is now My PC. Typing "my" in the search bar brings it right up at the top of the list. My version of Windows 10 came with File Explorer pinned to the task bar. Easy enough to add if it's not there already

The other option is to add a short cut to the desktop that points to whatever folder(s) he uses frequently.

If opens File Explorer on the left side should be My PC. Clicking that on that will show available drive space.

Hope this helps!

1 Like Save     Thanked by jane__ny
jane__ny

I did download it and it’s perfect! He was so thrilled after I set everything up, he stayed up the entire night working on some photos. The computer did not come with a drive so I bought an external drive and will put his older photo programs in soon.

The computer keeps annoying you to set up a Windows account, but I showed him how to get rid of it...call me!

sofar, so good, except settings keeps showing in Chinese. Tried various things but any hints would be appreciated!

Jane

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I'm very, very glad.

If the control panel isn't in Chinese, then you could get to Control Panel, then Regions, then change language to English (US)

Save    
jane__ny

I did that. Everything is in English except settings.

Maybe I should take a course in Bable (or whatever its called).

BTW, I put in a screen shot of the screen, but Houzz didn't put it in. Tried twice...what's with that?

Jane

Save    
Mo

Did you make sure to click Photo (not Houzz Photo)?

Save    
jane__ny

Yes, I’ve posted photos for years without a problem. I’ll try again...

Worked!!!

Save    
bengz6westmd

Very odd. Use your search engine & you might find something.

Save    
Mo

Go to Region through Control Panel, and make sure that's set to English (United States).

1 Like Save    
jane__ny

It is.

Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

"Everything is in English except settings."

What is that a settings page for?

I'm not a Windows person but I can't find anything that looks like that in Windows 10 settings. (The layout I mean, not the text)

Also, with two cursors and a red heart around a switch, it almost looks like some sort help document that came with a downloaded program?

Is that text really "text" or is it an image that includes text? (I ask because of the second cursor)

If the Chinese text is part of an image, no regional setting will change it to English.

Like I say though, I don't know Windows very well and may be looking in the wrong place. I'm just confused. I confuse easily. :)

1 Like Save    
Mo

You're right Richard, that looks like a web page in Edge.

jane__ny, click the Start button, then the gear icon, which will take you to the actual settings.

Save    
acraftylady

I have a Lenovo laptop less than 2yrs old. When I click the settings gear then system in there on the left I can click storage and it shows my C and D drive. Mary

Save    
acraftylady

Would this have anything to do with the language issue? Found a couple of people with this and it says they have a machine where windows 10 is a single language one. Mary

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-dialogs-system-in-chinese/b55e8bee-78a6-4931-a73e-0c4bf9ecbe56

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Change of Heart Prompts Change of House
They were set for a New England look, but a weekend in the California wine country changed everything
Full Story
Bathroom Makeovers Light-Happy Changes Upgrade a Small Bathroom
Glass block windows, Starphire glass shower panes and bright white and blue tile make for a bright new bathroom design
Full Story
Most Popular How to Add a Window Seat
Get a comfy, cozy spot with a view — and maybe even extra storage too
Full Story