SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayo510

Making life easier with an elderly cat

Mayo510
11 years ago

I've had him since he was a kitten; DSH; he's our only pet. He has chronic kidney disease, and really bad arthritis, esp. in his rear legs and hips. He can still walk, albeit slowly, but has a lot of trouble squatting. So, peeing, which he now does multiple times a day (that's the kidney failure; he drinks a ton of water), is a real challenge for him. Pooping is too, but he doesn't poop that often. It's a tough combination. He ends up with litter or poop, or both, stuck all over his rear, legs, and tail, and it's our job to get it off. On good days, we catch him before he gets it all over the house.

I'm considering stopping litter and seeing if he'll just go on a puppy pad. I've seen reference to that, but not details. Has anyone ever done that and can make recommendations for how to manage? Esp. how to trial it or transition. Other suggestions? FWIW, his litter box is in a little nook/no-door closet that has room for the box only; there's no way to offer the box and a pad side by side - well, I could, but one it would mean one was in the middle of our bathroom. I don't think he's ever in his life peed outside the litterbox, so I'm more than a little worried about changing things up on him now, esp. given the number of times a day he does pee - really don't want that to start happening outside the box!

Any tips appreciated!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH