SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

The simple things in life ... what makes you happy?

natal
14 years ago

I love to keep fresh flowers in the house ... on the kitchen windowsill, the stovetop, the bathroom sink ... anywhere they're seen on a daily basis.

Today I ran errands and when I stopped at WM I was thrilled to see the fresh flower display was half off. Usually I gather flowers from the yard, but after our recent killing hard freezes only a few camellias survived. So now I'm limited to what the grocery and discount stores offer. For $7.50 I got a dozen gorgeous white roses and a bouquet of sunflower like daisies (no idea what they're actually called).

What simple things make you happy?

Comments (26)

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Having the time, now that I'm retired, to make the bed every morning. There's something so civilized about turning down the sheets at night from a neatly made bed. I had a 43 mile commute one way when I worked so I never made the time before. I also love my first greeting in the morning from my 2 aussies when I let them out of their "suitcases", as my GD calls their kennels.
    Dee

• User
    14 years ago

Game nights with my sister and BIL. We laugh sooo hard at pictionary. Honestly doing anything with my sister and BIL is always a blast.

Not hitting any red lights.

Magnolia Trees.

Sleeping in on Saturday morning. Actually I love the part when you wake up and realize you can get up, doze back off, or just lay there comfy in the covers.

All the outside summer family gatherings.

Animals.

• Related Discussions

The little things that make me happy

Q

Comments (8)
    Robert, that's no little thing! I think it is THRILLING when something comes back that you thought was dead, especially roses and expensive native perennials. Congrats, you go right ahead an be excited! I think my neighbors are finally used to the sight of me crawling around in my beds with my rear in the air looking at what's coming up.
    ...See More

Things that make me happy.

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks you all. Its going to be a wonderful new year. A hot tub would be high up there on my happy list, lol. I never knew the name of the plant from Karyn. It was in a mixed batch of clippings and bloomed very fast. The brug is the smallest rooted one I have seen bloom. It actually tried to bloom several times but the dogs kept knocking it over where it was. The only smaller one was a cutting I was rooting that bloomed but the bud was already on there when it was cut I guess. The greenhouse is about 12 x24. It looks huge until I imagine all my plants in there then it starts shrinking fast. I am going to use the garage still and the greenhouse. Smirk. BB and Lucy fight over John attention all the time. Lucy bites her on the neck if she is getting too much of it, lol. Well gonna go do some fishing with hubby and make him happy. Its only something I like when its warm, lol. Yes we have frozen our butts off working on the greenhouse but have had some nice days to work as well other than the high wind. I'll be glad when more of its closed in so we can have a wind block to work in, lol. Thanks for the pics dimples. Gives me an idea.
    ...See More

All of you would understand the simple things.....

Q

Comments (19)
    Happy Birthday! I definitely understand your joy in receiving a gift you can actually use. I certainly appreciate the need for a small whisk. I bought one a couple of years ago, and once I started using it, I realized I wanted another. I seem to end up doing a lot with smaller quantities and having two small whisks is handy. Enjoy your gift.
    ...See More

Simple things we forget to do that can make all the difference.

Q

Comments (4)
    Marilyn, Visit your local pet store and browse thru the grooming supplies section. You should find scissors made just for trimming hair around the feet and ears and they come in different lengths. The tips are rounded so they're much safer than regular scissors. Here's what I use. I suggest buying one that has curved blades since I find them easier to use than the straight blades.
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

For the record, I love all family gatherings but there's something magical (to me) about cookouts and vegging on the patio with family.

• bestyears
    14 years ago

Getting in bed at night with a book I've been dying to get to...
    My husband making me my nightly cup of tea
    Making a, "Mmmm, this is sooo good!" meal from fresh, simple ingredients

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Starting up my rig and the radio comes on to a great song and NOT a commercial.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Snuggling with my hubby and the pup.

Spending time in our backyard - it's very private. Especially *our favorite chairs* (under an unbrella, with footstools - great place to read, nap or take in the views).

Our firepit.

Flowers, whether they be fresh cut, houseplants, outside plants, etc.

Laying on the back of our boat, with a great book.

A note left for me by my hubby.

The pup's greeting each and every time I come home.

This was a nice post - brought a smile to my face this morning! Thanks Natal!!

tina

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

My dogs make me laugh out loud every day. They bring me great joy.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

That first cup of coffee in the morning.

• User
    14 years ago

I love the first sign of spring after a long snow filled winter.

Goofing around w/my daughter, she's such a hoot and we laugh so hard.

I love watching all the wild life play in our yard, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits & birds they're everywhere and just fun to see.

I love when we finish a project in our home and it looks just how I envisioned it would

I love Friday nights when we don't have to do anything but relax and enjoy the evening doing whatever we want to do.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Mid-afternoon naps during the week when DH is at work and the kids are at school -- it's soooo quiet. Just me and the dog snuggled under the covers. No phones, no neighbor kids over, no video games/TVs. (I'm SO done with Tommy and Gina in Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer for Guitar Hero)

It's not so much the sleep as it is just stillness and silence -- there's not a lot of that to go around at my house and I have to snag some whenever I can. :~D

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

greetings from our dogs everytime I come home( puppy hugs we call them) the hush during a snowfall; the sound of birds chirping; hiking with my DH and dogs; watching the pups swimming in the lake;first cup of coffee; sleeping in;
    sunsets;sunrises; I love yous and I love you toos.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Waking up every day :o) The sound of the birds calling to each other at dusk, our nightly ritual of whoever is home first getting the teapot ready to brew a cup and discuss the day, DS and his GF driving up the driveway every night and "beeping" a hello (they live in a cottage on our property), our pug and 2 cats sleeping with us every night (it's a 1 dog 2 cat night at our house LOL), good Italian food, "I love you" every day all around.

• polly929
    14 years ago

A great glass of wine while preparing a meal for dinner with DH.
    The sounds of my kids giggling.
    A fire in the fireplace in winter, and fresh flowers in the house at spring.
    Baby hugs from my little guy.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

People who are completely honest;
    An amazing family;
    Unexpected non-holiday "I love you" cards;
    Texts from DD;
    Climbing into nice cold sheets at bedtime;
    A nice strong cup of coffee first thing in the morning;
    Peppermint hot chocolate;
    Listening to the rain hitting the roof while laying in bed;
    My 4 legged buddies jumping onto the bed at night;
    Abundant wildlife I can see from my chair in the L/R;
    Unconditional love.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

A lot of the same ones as everyone else -

fresh flowers (I seldom indulge in cut flowers but I love watching my roses bloom in front of the house)
    the first cup of coffee (and the 2nd and the 3rd - by then I'm awake)
    Clean cool sheets in summer and warm flannel sheets in winter (even better if I'm not the one who has struggled with the thick mattress to get them on!)
    I love you's from DH (I don't hear often enough)
    My mom taking the kids on a Sat night so DH and I can go out (even if it's just to Home Depot) and sleep in on Sunday morning

Lots of food-related things:

DH making pancakes for the whole family on Sundays when the kids are home and we have nothing planned
    DS asking for one of my "specialities" for dinner - tonight it's homemade chicken noodle soup and then having 2nds
    DD actually eating *anything* healthy without arguing
    Picking wild blueberries in our woods - and then making my grandma's blueberry buckle for a family picnic (60+ aunts, uncles, cousins every summer)
    Making (and giving away, and eating) my grandma's special Christmas coffee cake (stollen)

Non-food:

Thank you notes
    DD saying I love you Mama
    DD getting excited about every little thing I give her (things like $2 toys from Goodwill) and thanking me with hugs and kisses and jumping up and down
    "Chick flick nights" watching a DVD with DD while the guys are at Scouts
    DD's special hugs and kisses ritual at bedtime (sort of like a secret handshake she does only with me)
    DH doing the dishes!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Birds at the feeder

Working our plot at the Community Garden with my husband (first time he has ever gardened with me!)

Crisp, clear winter days in New England

Amaryllis, paperwhites and primroses on my windowsills

A steaming Latte from my new machine

• ttodd
    14 years ago

On a warm day when I close my eyes and turn my face into a gentle breeze and feel it caress my cheeks. The thought of it is making me smile so huge right now!

Early Spring mornings when the rest of the world is still asleep just as the sun is coming up. I take a cup of coffee outside and walk my gardens as they come into the first Spring blooms. My heart literally races w/ joy.

Sounds crazy but warm Summer nights when it's dark and I'm getting home late from work. When I pull in the driveway and see a fire in the chimnea (the kids think it's the best then), DH sitting there waiting for me w/ a beer and the children in their jammies swinging on the swings and eventually making their way over to our laps to cuddle and watch the fire and planes lights in the sky overhead. Magical!

Rainy Fall afternoons when the kids are napping (or away) and DH is away. Music in the background, cup of tea, good book, throw over my lap, cat in my lap and dog at my feet.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Phone was ringing and interrupted me, then DH came home and we ate. A few more odds and ends:

Sitting on the front porch in a rocking chair watching the goldfinches, or a thunderstorm, or shucking fresh-picked corn

Long hot baths with a good book, candles and no kids yelling for me. I *can't wait* until we finish the master bath!

DS helping DD buckle her seatbelt - he does it every time we get in the car, and I don't appreciate it enough.

DS hugging DD goodnight and picking her up off her feet, sometimes even carrying her a little ways (he's not strong enough to carry her more than a few feet) with this little smile on his face like he really does like her - or at least being idolized by her

Family game night

My LL Bean sheepskin slippers

Fireworks

Just-picked strawberries still warm from the sun

heirloom tomatoes

Rollercoasters

Big band music (esp. anything by Glenn Miller)

Finishing *anything* no matter how small on the never-ending construction site we live in!

• southern_vesta
    14 years ago

Putting on my fluffy terry cloth robe after a long hot shower.

The deep purr of my kitties when they are held.

The colors in the sky just after sunset.

The smell of the earth in the spring.

Eating tomatoes that have just been plucked from the vine.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Natal we had a lovely day today and I was wandering around the garden thinking about how much I was going to enjoy taking the flowers in during the spring and summer. It's a new yard to us, and honestly more than I can handle, but for one summer I'm going to live like the fancy people and have fresh flowers all over the house every day :)

It's been pretty mild here and the yard is full of lovely evergreens and several types of wonderful rosemary. Such deep lush scents. I've started doing little winter floral arrangements with the herbs and evergreens. All for free :) Then I just sneek in simple stuff like babys breath or a few flowers from the store among the beautiful herbs. I love fresh flowers and this silly house seems to ask for them so I'm having a great deal of fun being creative.

So that's my personal little pleasure lately, but on a regular basis I thank god for every morning my son gets up healthy and goes to bed the same. It's been such a long road for him. Seeing his life become "normal" since we've moved is heaven. he's blossomed so much, and now he gets to go to school with other "normal" kids :) He's so happy about it and wants to go every day, morning and night heh heh And watching him run to the gate with his silly little thomas lunch box, full of food he will never eat (he's had the same snacks in it for two weeks and does not eat them, but wanted a lunch box like the other big kids), his happiness makes me smile.

He's sick today for the first time this winter. It's a simple pleasure, but we really enjoyed the little vacation from illness.

My kitty just told me to mention how much I love his purr....we've been together (kitty and I) since before DH and DS and when he crawls into bed and tries to sleep on my head, it reminds me of simpler times, which also makes me smile :)

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Reading all your posts this morning makes me happy. Simple pleasures really are the best, aren't they?

Igloo, I'm extra happy for you, being back in your hometown again and having your sweet son feeling a bit better . . . and now going to school, too!

My own simple pleasures?
    *Waking up in the mornings and being able to snuggle with DH for half an hour while we watch the morning news a bit.

*calls and text messages from my kids, just to say, "Hi Mom, how's your day going? I love you!"

*Tuesdays, when I meet my bestfriend down in town for a nice long lunch to catch up on the week's happenings.

* what I'm doing right now ~ watching the snow fall softly, while the clouds slip down the crags of "our" mountain behind us. It's so beautiful and quiet out there. I'll start a fire in the fireplace in a minute and make myself a cup of hot tea. I want to take a few minutes to just enjoy it all.

* We live in the mountains among thousands of fir trees and I love their damp smell when it rains or snows. It's sharp and crisp and incredibly fresh.

* sitting down and having my two sweet furkids immediately come to snuggle with me. Ronin, my big dobie boy, on the floor, but close enough to lean up against my legs . . . or lay on my feet ;^D Chloe, my little Tibetan Spaniel loves to cuddle in my lap. Their unconditional love makes me very happy.

* a cup of hot tea and a good book

*quiet Summer mornings, very early, spent in my garden

* weekend evenings when my DH & I play Gin Rummy or Backgammon at the game table in our living room. The lights are low. We have a fire crackling in the fireplace and a scotch & water on ice to sip. And, of course, Billy Holiday singing softly in the background.
    Lynn

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

A long country ride
    A good hair day
    A favorite jazz song
    A good hair day
    A clean house that shines like new money
    A good hair day
    a long lunch with friends
    A good hair day
    A sweet text message

* pulling into town and remembering why I actually moved here from the big city.

.....Jane

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Everything the dogchild does.
    Hearing from DS.
    A good book.
    Early morning coffee in the backyard.
    My electric blanket.
    Camping with DH.
    Coming home to DH every evening.
    Real cards and letters in the mail.
    Sweets.
    Pink.

• denali2007
    14 years ago

Coming home to my 2 border collie wannabees with their wagging tails.
    One of them jumping into bed with me at night
    Snuggling under my down quilt in winter and summer
    Sitting on the deck with my cup of coffee at 6 am insummer and watching the birds come to the feeder.
    Raising monarch butterflies in Aug.
    Talking to my grandchildren on Scype

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

Natal, thanks for starting this topic-what a great way to take a moment to share others' happiness and really *think* about happy aspects of one's own life!

Mine:

Waking up to the lovely sound of classical music from the new clock-radio my daughter so thoughtfully picked out for my Christmas gift

That first glass of orange juice in the morning

The sky when I ride my bike to work every day

Seeing one of my students lights up with relief after we've had a good productive advising session

Laughing with colleagues who are friends too

Coming home from work!

Eating dinner together and talking as a family at the dinner table

Seeing my husband look for me in a crowded (or empty) room

Being with my sisters-like best friends you've literally known forever

Talking to my son and daughter and laughing with them about something in their world

Reading in bed at the end of the day

• groomingal
    14 years ago

Such a happy thread!
    The smell after a rain on a summer night

Fresh mowed lawn (smell and visual)

When i'm out in public and I smile at a little elderly person and they smile back

DH kissing me on top of the head

DS and his contagious laugh

Coloring in a coloring book with DD

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz