SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2019, Week 2

So, the summer heat drags on. Every year this seems to be more and more a hallmark of September weather, and I get so tired of it. Is anyone else ready for real autumn weather? Our very first year here, 1999, was a very hot, dry year and gardening, especially in only marginally-improved new beds, was rough, but the heat broke with an almost-surprise frost/freeze on the morning of the 30th. I saved most of the garden with a hastily-constructed plastic tunnel put up over it after I saw the forecast for near-freezing temperatures about 2 days in advance. I then put a row of hay bales around the bottom of the plastic tunnel for further insulation. About 90% of the plants survived. I'm not saying I want a frost or freeze at the end of September.....but there are days that it would be nice to think maybe we could just start having highs in the 80s, perhaps, instead of the upper 90s, before the end of this month. About a week prior to that early frost/freeze, we'd had a similar cool night hit Burneyville, where our mesonet station was located, but our area had stayed warmer that time. I wasn't expecting either of those cold nights so early in autumn and they still would be an anomaly if they occurred today, but I'd be lying if I said that they don't sound good right now. (grin) We haven't had good cool weather in September in ages, though.

For what it is worth, the September outlook shows our weather remaining hotter than average too, and I even went and looked at the Experimental 3-4 week outlook to see if it was finding more recent signs of a cooling trend, and there's no good news to be found there either. Brace yourselves for that and keep young seedlings for the fall garden well-watered. Shading might be needed if we linger in the upper 90s too long.

I then went and looked at the longer term outlooks, and they show that the odds are we will remain warmer than average for all of autumn.....the trick, of course, is that we don't know what 'warmer than average' means---it could mean we'll be outright hot like we are right now, or it could mean we'll be only marginally warmer than average. I guess time will tell.

Garden chores remain the same as in the previous few weeks, and of course, a careful gardener watching their own weather carefully may choose to sow seeds of winter cover crops or cool-season edibles like spinach as local conditions allow. If you're the type of lawn person who likes to put out a pre-emergent herbicide to prevent the germination of cool-season weeds, you still can do that this week, but the window of opportunity for that task is slamming shut, so I wouldn't delay too long.

Right now, our garden is full of flowers, bees, butterflies and insects of all kinds, particularly spiders, and I'm happy to see that. Everything is buzzing right along in there. I don't think there's as many grasshoppers as we had a month ago, but their population has stayed pretty high in late summer and not dropped as much as usual in August and September. I'm so tired of them eating everything in sight. I hope to deadhead and weed more this week, as we are (in theory) going to have a gradual cooling trend all week long. At least, that is what my 7-day forecast has been showing the last few days. I hope it doesn't change.

Tim mowed this weekend so all's right in his world. We do have the best stand of grass out in the pastures that I've ever seen in September, and I'm still hoping for great fall wildflowers, though they seem slow to show up so far.

Have a beautiful day everyone and a terrific week and don't forget to hydrate!

Dawn

Comments (41)