SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2019, Week 2, Are We Gonna Need A Bigger Boat?

I think the answer is no, that almost none of us will need a bigger boat, but we might need a sump pump in the garden to suck up the excess moisture. Really, though, this week's forecast rainfall totals seem mild compared to last week's actual rainfall. Here's the 7-day QPF:

7-day QPF

See there? Doesn't that look a lot better, or maybe just less bad, than last week's?

Let's pretend it is a normal week and we can do normal garden chores instead of dodging thunderstorms and torrential rainfall. Hey, it could happen though that doesn't mean it will happen, so let's pretend.

Normally in the second week of May, here's the type of chores we'd we doing:

--Mowing the lawn at its correct height. This is especially important if you're in an urban or suburban setting where there is peer pressure from your neighbors or HOA to have a perfect green carpet of lawn. After all, even a plethora of weeds look nice if neatly mowed and mowing at the correct height can help the lawn grass grow more vigorously and spread so that weeds cannot become as well established.

--Of course, with mowing comes the string trimming/weed eating/weed whipping....whatever you want to call it. I find this harder to stay caught up on at this time of year than the mowing, because is it so easy to skip this step if you're tired from mowing.

--Pruning. Don't forget to prune back any spring-flowering shrubs to reshape them, if needed, after they finish blooming. Or, you can do corrective pruning on any shrub that has an errant growth pattern that is sticking out into a sidewalk or pathway or something. Remember to avoid pruning anything that has not yet bloomed if it is the type of plant that blooms on old wood, or you'll be cutting off this year's prospective blooms.

--Watching one's crape myrtle plants for Crape Myrtle Bark Scale. Better to nip it in the bud by scrubbing it off plants if you find it now than to have to deal with it later after a population explosion occurs.

--Watching one's roses for Rose Rosette Disease. Remember, though, that new growth on many roses often is hard to distinguish from the earliest signs of RRD, so don't get overly concerned if you are staying at a rose bush with worrisome new growth trying to decide if it is RRD or new growth. Most of the time it is just normal new growth. I hate to say this for fear of jinxing my neighborhood, but I've never seen RRD anywhere in our county, but I've seen a lot of it in commercial plantings (usually of Knockout roses) in parking lots in Texas. Not this year...just in general that is where I see it.

--It is prime time to plant to beat the heat, unless you have standing water, in which case maybe wait another week. Pretty much everyone in our state now can plant new perennials or summer annuals so they can establish before the summer heat arrives. And it isn't too late to plant trees, shrubs, vines or groundcovers as long as you pay extra attention to keeping those trees and shrubs adequately watered in their first dummer.

--The soil temperatures are almost warm enough for heat-loving veggies, though I am not in a hurry with any of them due to excessively wet ground and space limitations. If the back garden would dry up, my space limitations would evaporate. As it is, maybe I ought to be planting rice.

--Pests are starting to show up more and more. This past week in the garden I found stink bugs eggs, which I promptly destroyed, and I found pill bugs and sow bugs climbing up a good 6-8" into my tomato plants and chewing up entire leaves. I see a lot of this some years and none of it in other years. Unfortunately they seem do do this more in wet years. Perhaps even the pill bugs and sow bugs don't like the wet ground, because there certainly is enough mulch for these decomposers to be eating, if only they would. Slug-Go or Slug-Go Plus is the organic remedy for the pill bugs and sow bugs...and snails and slugs. I haven't found many snails on plants yet, but I'm seeing a lot of them around the property in general. One of them 'might have' died last week after I found it climbing up the side of my rain gauge. If it wanted to live, it shouldn't have been on the rain gauge where I was sure to spot it. I have seen some cucumber beetles, but not as many as usual, and I've been killing stink bugs when I spot them, but it is almost impossible to get them all. Cabbage loopers and imported cabbage worms showed up, but I think I got rid of all of this round of them, though I'll keep watching for more. I'm not seeing any aphids, but that is fairly typical here since I don't use high-nitrogen fertilizers of any type.

--Ants, ants, ants, ants, ants. Where do we even begin to deal with these generally benign creatures which are, in fact, often good garden helpers? This year, they are just being annoying as they climb up out of the water and mud. I've been dealing with fire ants in the raised beds by using Come and Get It. For any other sort of ant in a raised bed that is not too close to an actual plant, I've used an orange oil drench. For acrobat ants in the mailbox---a daily occurrence lately, and on Thursday they moved all their eggs up into it---I've been using 1 T. of Medina orange oil per quart of water in a spray bottle. Actually, I used Windex to kill them the first couple of days, but more and more ants just kept coming and on Thursday there were thousands in the mailbox (like a horror movie), and seemingly every single one carried up one eggs with them, so I switched to Medina orange oil to make sure it killed the eggs too. I'm also finding ants in containers, climbing on garden tools, in the tornado shelter, in the garage....any place that they can seek shelter, except not in the house.

--Planting, garden maintenance and weeding are hard to squeeze in between the rain showers, thunderstorms, lightning bolts, tornadoes, hail and huge wind gusts, but we all must try....or else we shall lose our minds.

The rising river, which now has crested and should begin falling, has driven up more wildlife than usual onto our property as they apparently felt compelled to flee the bottom lands. We are having some predator issues. It isn't unexpected, but I'm not happy about it.

The wildflowers (and, in fact, all flowers) continue to be spectacular this year. I can only imagine how much better they'd be if we'd ever get more than 10 minutes of sunshine per day.

What's everyone going to do this week? What are you behind on? How are the current plants faring?

At our house, Sunday lunch will be the first bacon-lettuce tomato (for me) or bacon-onion-lettuce-tomato (for Tim) sandwich of the year featuring a fresh, home-grown tomato from our garden. I feel like we've been waiting months for this, which we have. It makes the thought of having to mow and weed-eat all afternoon a bit more bearable.

Both hummingbird and purple martin numbers continue to increase as more and more birds find their way back. I have put out two more hummingbird feeders for a total of (I think) six or maybe seven now. I'll have to count them when I refill them tomorrow. The purple martins now are raising their young in both purple martin houses. At first, they only were doing that in one house.

Butterflies are around but inconsistently so. I am sure they don't like the rain any more than we do. We are seeing a large number of swallowtails for this early in the season. Meanwhile, the monarch migration north must be tapering off as we're seeing less of them traveling through here. The local milkweed in the fields is in bloom now.

That's everything I can think of. Have a great week everybody.

Dawn

Comments (57)