SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Spacing rose bushes

katyajini
4 years ago

This very practical notion vexes me no end. You are told, warned even, to leave plenty of space between shrubs and companion plants. I look at some gardens and there is more space than roses and really the roses and the garden does not look that beautiful. And then you look at some other gardens the rose bushes are growing next to one another, certainly not choking or crushing each other, but close and some branches could be touching. A limb or two of a companion plant might weave in a bit. What can I say, it looks good. But this is supposed to be wrong. Without ample air circulation roses get diseases.

Since I am completely redesigning my garden I look at a lot of pictures. And see these 'fully planted' gardens and want to do so myself. Very notable example are the gardens by David Austin. They are Gorgeous and exciting. At first I thought this is some kind of Photoshop effect. Then I saw videos by people while visiting his gardens in the UK. How does he do it? UK does not have a dry climate.

Well we are all real people here, planting out garden in the real world with various kinds of handicaps. How should I space rose bushes? Leaving a wide margin even after they reach mature size? Or such that they may touch a little when they are grown?

There is great charm in rose bushes planted scattered in gardens the size of pasture land under a big open sky. I have to plant more intensely in the best possible way. Its not that I want to cram in as many roses as possible, I just want my garden to look lush.

I saw a YT video by Paul Zimmerman about how to cover an arbor with roses. He instructs to use 6 roses, three on each side. One to go to the very top, one to cover the sides and one to cover the bottom. Really? How can you even plant three roses so close on one side of an arbor and 2 of them will be big roses? he suggest just get disease resistant roses. This does not compute.

I hope you can guide me with what you like and what you have learned about designing your rose garden or your garden with roses.

Thanks!

Comments (19)