SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pfar54

Major Kitchen Remodel Suggestions

pfar54
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all,

I am wanting to make my house more open, along with making specific rooms bigger. The room I am specifically wanting to make bigger is my kitchen.

My kitchen is pretty much is the center of my house and could be larger. Right next to my kitchen is a formal dining room. I never use it and haven't even furnished it since moving in 8 months ago. The reason being is I think I want to do a kitchen renovation project where I relocate my kitchen into the formal dining room and overall make my kitchen larger with a bigger eat in kitchen dining area.

To do this, I would have to pretty much reno my entire existing kitchen and relocate everything, tear down a wall and potentially some other things.

I was hoping I could get an idea of how challenging this would be if I did it myself. The wall I would have to remove to get everything into the existing dining room is not load baring, so that would be pretty easy.

What I am thinking about doing though is since these two rooms are not very large depth wise (12') is to potentially take the kitchen even further into my formal living room (not used either). With doing this there is an existing header and large entry in between. Is it possible to hide the header that I have marked in the 2nd picture?

Then is there a way to make an opening where my steps are? I think this would really help make the house look more open when coming in the main front entry.

I made this video as a walk through.

https://youtu.be/7pW1L7aPn3E

The blue prints are included to help, as well as the same walk through in picture format.

Stairs/wall question pic

Comments (15)