SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Shrimp boil side dishes?

Chi
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

A neighbor invited us to a shrimp boil tomorrow. I've never been to one! As I understand it, it's shrimp, potatoes and corn?

I'm supposed to bring a side dish but I'm stumped. I would like to keep it vegetarian (I don't eat shrimp) and maybe on the lighter side as it's still very hot here and the party is outside. Maybe a nice salad?

Any ideas for a side dish that might work with the theme? Thanks!

Comments (47)

• glenda_al
    4 years ago

I prepare country lo boil yearly, with shrimp, new potatoes, fresh corn on the cob,and smoked sausage.

Sometimes I serve this:

Always well received

Alaska cole slaw (named this as I had the slaw in Ak and loved it)
    5 cups shredded cabbage **I buy the preshredded plain, no carrots, etc at WalMart
    1/2 cups almond slivers, toasted
    1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
    1/2 cup celery, diced**don't use
    1/4 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
    1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper **don't use

This is the creamy dressing I used and it works great:

mix 1/2 c mayo with 2 Tbl cider vinegar **I used white wine vinegar, 2 tsp sugar, salt and pepper to taste Pour over coleslaw right before serving and toss JUST TO COAT

Combine cabbage, almonds, cranberries, celery, green onions, and green pepper in a large plastic bowl with a snap-on lid.
    Combine all dressing ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Pour dressing over slaw just before serving. Stir well

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Roasted veggies like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, etc. Asparagus.

We usually don't have any thing other than the seafood, corn and potatoes.

• Related Discussions

Side dish recipe we are having tonight...if.....

Q

Comments (3)
    I just put chicken cheese enchiladas in the oven..and am about to start my version of spanish rice...and have some pintos that are in need of frying from this weekends meal. Everything from scratch but the corn tortillas. Even the enchilada sauce is..
    ...See More

Side dish suggestion

Q

Comments (17)
    I'll take Burnt Broccoli as a side with any Italian-American dish. I'd prefer it warmer than room temp, but it doesn't need to be piping hot. Several variations to be found out there, but they're all similar. I cut up some broccoli, leaving more stem that I normally might. Toss with some olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and a small amount of bread crumbs. Roast in a moderately hot oven - I'm thinking on the higher end of that spectrum, like 400-425 will let the tips blacken as desired but keep the rest crisp enough so it can stand a mild reheating without going to mush. Here's a fuzzy picture, from foodspotting.com, apparently taken from the first place I ever had it.
    ...See More

Will this salmon/shrimp dish work?

Q

Comments (13)
    No,,,,your shrimp will be over done and tough and perhaps blackened before the salmon is done. Why not cook the shrimp, chop and mix with the butter etc....then put2 sides of saslmon together, with the shrimp in the middle? You may need to tie it together, so you can flip it....but if your salmon sides aren't too large it'll be ok without flipping...I think? Heck...tie it up....and plan on flipping it...just to have the salmon done without over cooking the shrimp. But that shrimp will cook in about 5 minutes....while the salmon will take much longer. Anotehr option might be cook the salmon and cook the shrimp in a fry pan and pour on top before serving. Good Luck! Linda C
    ...See More

RECIPE: Lime Rice and Shrimp wMango Salsa (Boiling down ?)

Q

Comments (2)
    Really, there wasn't much trouble at all to it, except getting the rice in metal cookie molds shaped as hearts for the kids and trying it warm to get it to the table. It's a standard meal (prep time). It was good. Flavours a little less than expected. You def. have to boil down the marinade for extra flavour for the rice but pretty good overall. Like I said, I forgot the salsa in the fridge and this probably brings a little extra to it. I think I will make it again as it is a good marinade (with chicken anyways).
    ...See More
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Pasta salad would be a nice side for vegetarians.

• rosesstink
    4 years ago

Wow. I've never considered that a shrimp boil would need side dishes. It's a throw everything in a pot and eat it messy meal. Yum. Coleslaw would be good. I'd recommend Emeril's Maw-Maw's Slaw to sort of keep in the theme. Always well received when I've made it. Maw-Maw's Slaw

Or a green bean salad?

• Chi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, they technically said to bring an appetizer to share, so maybe side dish isn't the right term. I was thinking of something I could eat as a vegetarian for my main dish that would also work as an appetizer for others.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far! I wish I knew what the other guests were bringing.

• Janie
    4 years ago

I make this and cut into small squares for an appetizer and I cut it into larger squares for a brunch - warm, room temp or cold, it all works. Its always a hit.

GREEN CHILE SQUARES

(from Ann T)

April 12/02 Perfectentertaining.com

With only three ingredients this whips up in under five minutes and then bakes unattended, making it perfect for parties.

It can also be made up to 24 hours ahead of time and served hot, cold, or at room temperature.

2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese

2 cans green chiles

4 well beaten eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the cheese in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish, then sprinkle the chilies over the cheese. Pour the eggs over the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Cool to room temperature and then cut into squares.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Side dish? Green beans almondine

Appetizer? Crab-stuffed mushrooms, crab dip...

• amylou321
    4 years ago

Hmmmmmm. You don't eat meat or seafood right?

How about stuffed mushrooms?

https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/italian-vegetarian-stuffed-mushrooms/

Or Stuffed cherry tomatoes. Hollow them out and stuff them with some boursin cheese. You can stuff the mushrooms with it too. So good.

Or, something more seasonal might be a tomato tart. Most can be served room temperature too.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-tart

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/annas-tomato-tart-3756210

Homemade Carmelized Onion dip with some chips. Thats easy to make. Caramelize a bunch of onions with some garlic, mix in some cream cheese and sour cream and whatever flavoring you like. Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce. Maybe some thyme. Whatever. Serve with potato chips.

• Ava
    4 years ago

A platter of assorted raw veggies and a dip.

• User
    4 years ago

Black bean salad?

I like the idea of a tomato tart.

• amylou321
    4 years ago

Oh,and there is always deviled eggs. Mine have bacon in them so my recipe wouldn't serve your needs. But EVERYONE has a deviled egg recipe. And they are a good protein option.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Although it can several things I was trying to think of what I have had at shrimp/lobster feasts and can only think of very large chunks of various fruits. The pieces were too large for one bite and had only been tossed with lemon juice to keep the types that turn brown from looking odd. It had some type of thin dip or sauce on the side. Instead of toothpicks small pretzel sticks were in shot glasses to be used.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

Bruschetta? I like the deviled egg suggestion. cheese platter with yummy crackers or breads

• Anne
    4 years ago

I am not clear if you are vegetarian and if so, what category....lactoovo, etc. or if you just don't do shrimp. Those green chili squares sound great; I could see myself making them.

I am having a hard time thinking of anything to suggest aside from a really nice veggie platter, with maybe some "different" veggies and the above suggested french onion dip. Veggies like multi colored carrots w/ tops still on, scallions, celery w/ tops, etc.....

• Chi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm technically a pescatarian but I am picky about seafood and don't really care for shrimp. I eat eggs and dairy but no other meat.

• Janie
    4 years ago

What about Glenda's Tomato Pie and also I love the Impossible Zucchini Pie (Bisquick). Eggs and cheese - but no meat. Both are delicious and my family loves. Be happy to post recipes, if you're interested.

• Anne
    4 years ago

Tomato Pie is an excellent idea! I make a version of it and it is always a hit. I will have to find Glenda's recipe and try that. It is my go to when tomato's are crazy plentiful and you can adapt seasonings to fit the rest of the meal.

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

I would do a watermelon feta cheese and avocado or olive oil salad. To me it is nice and refreshing with the lime juice and if you like a bit of mint.

Missed the whole it's not a side dish it's an appetizer conversation. Cheese and veggie loaded nachos, and for dipping refried beans, salsa and sour cream are always a welcome dish.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Avocado hummus, spinach dip in a hollowed out pumpkin round, Summer pizza, Mexican Dip

Summer Pizza:

2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls - pat out on Jelly Roll cookie sheet and bake according to directions on package (10 min.) 2 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, 1 pkg. ranch dressing. Mix together and spread over cooked crescent rolls.

3/4 C. red bell pepper, diced, 1 C. caulifowerets (cut very tiny), 1 C. broccoli flowerets, (cut very tiny), 3/4 C. radishes, diced small, 3/4 C. carrots, grated, 1/4 c. onion, diced. Mix together and lightly press into cream cheese. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Cut into bite-sized squares.

Super Easy Humus

1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drain and reserve liquid, 3 T. lemon juice, 1 T. olive oil, 1 clove garlic, crushed (small clove), 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 - 2 T. Tahini. Put everything in blender, add enough reserved mixture for texture you like. Add two ripe avocados diced up. You may need more liquid to incorporate the avocado. Serve with Pita chips or tortilla chips.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Mexican Dip

2 cans bean dip.Spread on serving plate. Sprinkle 3 soft, diced avocados over bean dip. Sprinkle with juice of 1/2 lemon. Mix together 1 C. Mayonnaise, 1 C. sour cream, 1 pkg. taco seasoning mix. Spread over avocado. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Top with sliced black olives, chopped green onions and diced tomatoes. Chill and serve with tortilla chips.

• jtc
    4 years ago

Baked Camembert served with nachos. There are many versions. The garlic and olive oil being a favorite of mine

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Many don't like cheese and seafood in the same meal. That's something to factor in.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

When I think of a shrimp boil I see a paper lined table with a mess of shrimp, sometimes other seafood and sausage, potatoes ,corn and sometimes carrots strewn across it with bowls of clarified butter and lemon wedges available. It's a messy community table, dig in and eat with your fingers thing. If a side was served , maybe cole slaw, but who wants to fill up on sides with that wonderful spread before you?

Don't try to upstage the main event. It's a shrimp boil, not a potluck.

Appetizers? Something light to not ruin appetites. Crudites, a light dip (crab?) and light crackers etc.

Vegetarian? Why would a vegetarian attend such a party? If you must attend, bring your own bag or boxed meal but no messing with tradition.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

I agree with others that suggest an appetizer is what should be offered and not a side dish. My advice to you is to eat ahead of time at home, and bring a summer appetizer to share.

a favorite of time is based on a simple pate a choux recipe, made with a small scoop in order to make mini puffs. When cooled, the pastry puffs can be stuffed with any type of savory filling......crab salad, egg salad, pimento cheese spread, etc. These can be served chilled.

Alternatively, one can modify the basic cream puff recipe by adding cheese and a bit of onion in order to make gougeres, the most delectable cheese puffs imaginable.

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

Jalapeño poppers are always a favorite here. Deviled eggs too!

• nicole___
    4 years ago

This time of year...appetizer.... a melon platter. Cantaloupe, watermelon & honeydew...cut in little triangles served in a bowl with some red grapes for color.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

cold sliced watermelon to compliment your host’s menu. (I agree the vegetarians might want to eat before the party, (because you know it’s a Shrimp boil) go with a full stomach.).

• Angela Id
    4 years ago

"Vegetarian? Why would a vegetarian attend such a party? If you must attend, bring your own bag or boxed meal but no messing with tradition."

What a rude comment!

Translation: Don't spend quality time with friends that *gasp* eat differently than you!

I like the Tomato Pie and Chille Casserole suggestions.

• Chi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I'm going for the socializing, not the food! And DH will have no issue eating my share, if necessary. :) I've been to parties hosted by this neighbor and she always has plenty of options. I'm not worried about going hungry or messing with tradition. If they don't do sausage, I will probably eat the potatoes and corn too.

• User
    4 years ago

What about a dessert instead of a side?

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

She requested an appetizer.

Depending you might not have a plate to eat off of. You could just have a spot at the table and some large bowls for refuse. Boils are very casual. Kind of hard to eat a salad that way.

I like the idea of veg and fruits with dips. Light, easily eaten with picks and not filling before the main event.

• User
    4 years ago

She requested an appetizer.

Chi said side dish.

• Chi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did say side dish but the invitation says appetizer. To me, knowing this couple's entertainment style, it will all be placed on a side table for people to help themselves throughout the party, so in my mind I consider them the same.

• jtc
    4 years ago

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy yourself considering how you have been feeling lately.

• Chi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, jtc. :) It's a welcome distraction!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! Thanks so much. I will definitely be saving some of these ideas for the next party.

I've decided to do deviled eggs, a 7 layer dip and maybe some brownies. Well, that's the plan anyway. I bought fresh eggs and those are harder to peel so if they get mangled, I'll just keep them for us at home.

• glenda_al
    4 years ago

You can always mash up the mangled eggs and make deviled egg dip.

• FlamingO in AR
    4 years ago

A nice summer appetizer is basil leaves stuffed with lemony goat cheese, topped with chopped toasted pecans and drizzled with olive oil.

• Anne
    4 years ago

I did hard boiled eggs( fresh but at room temp) in my instant pot and they peeled like a dream. I think steaming might be the secret if you do them stovetop.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

"Vegetarian? Why would a vegetarian attend such a party? If you must attend, bring your own bag or boxed meal but no messing with tradition."

What a rude comment!

The party is around a pretty well known food theme. The food and how it is traditionally served is a min part of the "social" in this case.The hostess is serving a shrimp boil. She said bring an appetizer.

ap·pe·tiz·er/ˈapəˌtīzər

1. a small dish of food or a drink taken before a meal or the main course of a meal to stimulate one's appetite.

Note the key words are stimulate one's appetite, not kill it off for the main course.

Yet the poster is planning on bringing not a light appetizer with any thought to the main menu but things more conducive to a potluck or picnic plus adding a dessert item. And you think I'm rude???

Te message is loud and clear, I don't want your food so I am bringing unrelated things so I will have something to eat while socializing by not partaking in what is regionally known as a social event, a dig in and enjoy shrimp boil.

If I didn't eat pork I am not showing up to a pig roast with a seafood platter for me. If I were invited to a vegetarian household for dinner I wouldn't bring meatballs as an appetizer. That would be rude.

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

Chi I'm so glad you had a wonderful time!

I too have several diet restrictions. I often bring my own food just in case and don't want to burden my hosts with my extreme diet problems. They often surprise me by thoughtfully providing me with plain food that I can eat. It's funny how warming that gesture is.

It is easy to feel like an outsider and it is very nice when someone accepts you and accommodates you seemingly without concern.

• Anne
    4 years ago

So glad you enjoyed. The neighbors invited you for your company. I try to accommodate guests and most of mine who have either allergies or preferences are very undemanding. Most do as you did if it is a bring a dish gathering and bring something to share that they can eat. No one makes a big issue and they quietly enjoy what they can. My husband is allergic to certain seafood but we are still able to serve it or go to seafood events because it is not so severe he cannot be around it. We would never say we won’t show up to a boil ....it is about fellowship not just food.

It doesn’t matter if it is allergy or preference, we invite people because we want their company.

I do have a friend who is kosher and I always make sure with her that I am bringing something that is ok and normally get something from the kosher cafe near her....obviously she never has a crab boil.

Also, one of my kids had a classmate growing up that was extremely allergic to peanuts. A small school so as parents we made sure any parties were geared to making the child safe but without making a show of it...we ran stuff by mom, who was very helpful and we did not make a big deal out of it in front of the child.

I find it offensive that someone would suggest you sit at home because you cannot or do not eat a certain food. If my family and friends started excluding each other on our differences I would have to get a divorce, stop talking to the children and even my precious granddaughter who at 1 refuses to eat sweet potatoes and never see my in-laws again.!

• sjerin
    4 years ago

I'm so glad you had a lovely time, Chi. You needed that right about now!

• Chi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One of the 3 tables set up in the backyard. There was so much food! Each guest took a container of the shrimp boil home as well.

• Anne
    4 years ago

Beautiful! What a great host!

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

Never can go wrong with Deviled eggs! Glad they liked them. They are so inexpensive and easy to make. I take them often to gatherings. That looks like a great spread of food! Looks so yummy.

• Angela Id
    4 years ago

Spectacular, and well thought out, presentation!