SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren2656

Would love input on our kitchen design before I start finalizing

4 years ago

Hello! Long time lurker here. We've been planning our complete kitchen remodel (in a 1980's split entry) for many months and we're at the point where we need to start making our purchases and signing contracts. I am getting cold feet and would love any input on the design and appliances.

For the general layout: I'm particularly interested in making sure the plan is as functional as possible. However, the kitchen is also the first thing you see when you walk into the house. (The entry is just out of frame in the first picture, down one flight of stairs. So you come in the front door, walk up the stairs, and there's the kitchen). Also, these renderings don't have a lot of the correct details (we will be getting fridge with a bottom freezer and the cabinet door and drawer placements will be different in some places), but the general appliance/countertop/cabinet layout is what I'm really trying to pin down. I am particularly concerned about not having a countertop right next to the fridge as that's how I usually load and unload items now. But I'm hoping the island will serve that purpose just as well?

Regarding appliances: The main dilemma is the wall ovens. We were initially planning on a Miele wall oven with a speed oven above (in order to consolidate our contantly-in-use toaster oven and microwave into one space). But when we went to look at the speed oven, my husband and I agreed the microwave controls were excessively complicated to use. The Bosch speed oven had the easiest controls for us to wrap our heads around, but it's not the most attractive appliance and I've heard bad things about reliability.

What say you Houzz dwellers? Thanks in advance!

Comments (32)