SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

My 2014 Seed Order (almost final - would love input!)

Shelley Smith
10 years ago

I've never actually placed a seed order before. This is hard - so many choices! I decided to order from Swallowtail Garden Seeds because they had more of the varieties that I was looking for. I limited myself to one order and a maximum of $30 so I get the free shipping.

Another GardenWeb member here offered me some Heidi seeds, so that helped me a lot because few places offered Heidi and not the ones that had most of the others I was looking for.

So here's my narrowed down but not yet final list. I also listed what I already have in the categories below for comparison:

LETTUCE:
Cherokee
Jericho
Winter Density

I have the following lettuce seeds already:
Caesar's Favorite
Lolla Rossa
Red Sails
Royal Red
Salad Bowl

MELON:
Snow Mass Honeydew

I already have seeds for Sugar Baby and Carolina Cross (watermelon) and Hearts of Gold and one other muskmelon. I'm hoping to find a charentais type to add - any suggestions?

PEPPERS:
Bellina Bell
Cajun Belle
Numex Joe E. Parker Anaheim Chile

I have the following pepper seeds already:
California Wonder (didn't do well, won't grow again
Jalapeno Early (too hot for me, may grow some for my son)

SPINACH:
Space Hybrid
REALLY wanted to try Renegade but its out of stock :(

I already have spinach seeds for Avon Hybrid and Lavewa.

TOMATOES:
Black Cherry
Cherry Falls
Principe Borghese
Sun Gold
Viva Italia (this last one was an impulse - it says it has an extra high sugar content and compared to others of this type, performs better in hot weather, plants are compact and produce much more fruit. Would love feedback on this one in particular!)

I have the following tomato seeds already:
Heidi (from another GardenWeb member here)
Tiny Tim (just bought - a container variety with a DTM of 55 days)
Juliet
Sweetie
Roma
Rutgers
Brandywine Red (this one did poorly for me before so probably won't grow it this year)

As I mentioned in the Spring Planning thread, this year I want to focus more on varieties that are well suited to our climate and soil - hence the emphasis on heat tolerant varieties and early maturing varieties. I also want to grow more things in containers, which will allow me to get an earlier start, And I'm hoping to finally have enough tomatoes at one time to can salsa and tomato sauce so I'm focusing more on sauce type tomatoes.

Would LOVE feedback on any/all of the above!

Comments (6)