Houzz Logo Print
jtight

2014 Holiday Seed Swap

jtight
9 years ago

Holiday Seed Swap - 2014

Rules/Regs
1. Seeds must be clearly labeled a/ in separate bags
2. If you have/send a "cross" a/or "hybrid," that is STABLE, please note that on packaging
3. Please do your best a/ not mis-label seeds
4. Seed packet rules -
Min 10 per bag
Please limit to 30 bags per type
Max of 500 bags per participant [Yes someone sent me 250 bags of seeds last year ⺠a/ it was appreciated]
5. If you want to donate seeds beyond the max, understand you are donating these
6. Include a list (type/quantity) you are sending to trade
7. Include a list (type/quantity) you would like to receive
8. Leftover seeds submitted will be used for "Newbies" unless you note that you want any "leftovers" returned to you
9. Newbies are welcome to participate just note you may/may not receive anything based on availability of seeds

1. Don�t send old seeds

Shipping/Handling Rules
1. Please ensure submission packaging is bubble wrap
2. Include enough money a/or stamps to send seeds back to you as I cannot pay postage for you
3. Please include a return label indicating your name a/ return address
4. If outside of US (i.e., Canada, Europe, etc.) expect longer time for both submission and receipt of exchange items
5. Only US funds are accepted

Timing/Dates �
1. Submission is 10/1/2014 - 11/30/2014 (Plan accordingly)
Note - Anything rec�d post 12/3 will not be used nor your seed request filled
2. 12/4 - 12/10 will be used for re-packaging
3. Mail out will be from 12/11-12/13

Important Notes -
1. Only Peppers are being swapped
2. Remember this is a voluntary exchange and that no one is required to participate
3. Understand that you probably won�t get everything you want in return b/c we may not receive enough to fulfill everyone's wish list
4. I will do my best to be fair in fulfilling requests

Submission address
Johnny Luse
P.O. Box 276
Midland, GA 31820

Comments (150)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Looks like we need a list of who has joined already.

• User
    9 years ago

Looks like I need to start bagging some seed. :)
    Good thing I've got a weeks vacation starting next week.

We still have not hit 0* here for temps and my plants just keep producing. Longest growing season yet.

Thai Chilies
    Orange Habs
    Caribbean Red Habs

• Related Discussions

2014 Holiday Seed Swap Part 2

Q

Comments (151)
    Just checking back in for Scorp's email address, I got it bounced back. Gee, I was going to give her the benefit of the doubt and even emailed her saying it came across weird and sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't heard back. But at least there are some people on the santa swap thread who do realize what a generous group there is here. Please don't let 1 person keep you from helping another. We have a common goal here, to give a grieving father something to smile for, even briefly, at the holidays. I will have to use Gardenweb's email to send address to people, the list is actually above in dmkelly's post Nov 16 18:09. Let me know if you want the address. I'm really sorry for all the unpleasantness.
    ...See More

Seeds and Pods Dried

Q

Comments (9)
    Scorion1, I rinse, slice in half, de-seed and put on a dehydrator at about 95-110 degrees until crispy. If the "crack" easy they are done. Simple as that. I usually do about 12-16 hours of dry time. All depends if they are thick or thin walled pods. Bill
    ...See More

2014 commercial seed swap 2

Q

Comments (82)
    Wheel of fortune style.....take your spin once a day! i _ / i / h _ d / _ / _ _ o _ _ _ / _ o_ / _ _ _ _ _ / t i_ _ / i/ t h o _ _ ht / o_ / _ o _ / i / c o _ _ d / _ _ _ _ / th _ o _ _ h/ _ _ / _ _ _ d _ _ / _ o _ _ _ _ _. Annie and Jaynine, I'll keep my on the mailbox. Cghpnd, Your welcome, It's fun for the most part. I'm not going to make this a big issue and I will not post here about it again BUT.......... I had to ask a player to leave the swap for dishonest trading (using collected seeds). If you have ever gotten seeds in the swap, grew them out and they were not what color/name you thought they would be. I'm so Sorry!. Leann, I got your seeds in yesterdays mail. Did you make a list of what you sent off to me? If so, please email me the list.
    ...See More

2014 Holiday Seed Swap (Thread Four)

Q

Comments (150)
    Hey, I love days when the post office has to pull into my drive way and honk! Thankfully, I just finished making the Delce de Leche Cheesecake and the table was completely cleaned off for me to open my awesome caterpillar box!!! I got to touch every single one of those packs of pepper seed!!! Most of these types, I've never heard of, being new to the world of peppers. I can't wait to look them up and get to germinating. You helped rock my Christmas Eve. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Merry Christmas Johnny Pepper Claus and Family!! Promise :)
    ...See More
  • fommy15
    9 years ago

I have a bunch of seeds to share. I am not quite sure what kind of peppers to request. Is it possible to share the list of peppers you got last year. It would at least give me an idea of what is possible. I'm excited to participate this year.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Fommy - It will be awhile before we get to that point of knowing what is avail. Best bet is to send in what you have a/ note what you would like to receive back. I do my best to get people what they want based on availability.

Don't have a 2013 receipt log, sorry.

Johnny

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Go with what you like best (ie Habaneros, sweets, ghosts, extremly hot varities, medium hot...).

There is a list in there (around 13 from the bottom) but I dont think that was everything that was given out (split among the group). It looked like Johnny was waiting for a few more items but it gives you an idea of what was sent out.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Swap

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 19:52

• pepper_man_stand
    9 years ago

I am new and would love to join this yr i am loking for unique hot peppers to start my back yard pepper gardens

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think it might be helpful if we post what we are going to send in. This way others will have some idea what to expect in terms of availability.
    So here we go. I will send in limited packs of the followings:

== Lemon Drop
    == Shishito (No heat)
    == Pepperoncini (No heat)
    == Manzano (yellow)
    == Thai Hot
    == Jalapeno
    == Red Habanero
    == Chinese 5 Color.

I might add few more, later, depending on what else ripens.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

==Melrose pepper possibly a couple of others, as they dry

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 15:04

• pepperseedman
    9 years ago

Hello All,

I haven't been on the site much the last 2-3 years, but I did see this post a couple weeks ago and have been following it fairly closely. I think its a great idea having this seed swap allowing many to try new varieties and getting some newbies a start on this awesome and addictive hobby.
    Saying that - I'd like to join the seed swap. I would like to send in approx 250 seed packs, with just over 200 of them being different varieties (I am growing approx 120 varieties this year). I don't expect 250 back or anything even close, maybe just a few unique/new varieties out there that i could try. It may take a little bit of time to get them all together and labeled, but I should have them ready to send out within the next 1-2 weeks.

Johnny - as the administrator of the seed swap I'll let you decide if you want me to list the 200+ varieties on this thread or not. Over 110 of them are Hot/Superhots.

-Garth

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Garth - I was thinking about starting another thread with pictures of some of the pods that I will be submitting seeds from. I think it will be helpful to some people to see what the seeds should produce. Maybe you/we could list them there?

Anyone have opinions on this?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

peppers_galore: I think it is a good idea. One thread and each member can post one time with photos of each of their submissions or maybe a link to another site that has the photos and any other information about the seeds they wish to share.
    But the decision can be left up to the OP (seed swap administrator)
    Bruce

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Why dont we just let Johnny post the seeds pack names when he has got enough of them. We all know there will be duplicate of seed packs, and if we know what everything is right away, why send it. If that is all you have, it will discourage people from signing up.

Just my opinion.

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Worked out well last year. I received a few duplicates which i shared with others who were looking for that variety later on.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lemme work on constructing a breakdown of what we receive a/ I'll post w/in this thread. I am hesistant to start another thread w/ pics due to poss. confusion.

Johnny

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think pics idea is very hard to accommodate. Getting to know pepper varieties is a long process that everybody has to go through and learn. Then, pictures can be "confusing" as Johnny suggested. You cannot get an idea of true color and true size.
    If interested in a variety that I am not familiar with, I do just google search.
    JMHO.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I've started drying seeds out - I haven't got Alma yet but looks like I'll have a lot of Tequila Sunrise (courtesy of ottawapepper) and Hinkelhatz. I'll also send along some seed from minisweets that grew true if anyone wants them - seem to be mostly orange though I got a few red and yellow.

EDIT: I did find 1 ripe Alma that had BER (the rest seem to be rotting from the stem), it is hot not sweet! I'm not sure the seeds will be good, the inside looked a little moldy. I will see if I have more.

I've got some huge sweet red peppers I believe are Corno di Toro (Rosso?) - they were in Burpee mixed Corno/Banana package.

I don't know if anyone is interested in Purple (the flowers, not the peppers) Serrano, Jalapeno Gigante, Early Jalapeno, and Hot Lemon (looks like baccatum) from Burpee seed? The jals were especially hot this year.

I've also got a long hot pepper from saved seed a few years old I grew out this year, looks like a cross between Hot Portugal and cayenne? Also something that may be a pequin (I have no idea where that came from, it was in with HH seeds and I never grew pequin). They're pretty spicy but I won't bother to save seed from them unless someone really wants them, b/c they're so small. See my photo with the Hot Lemons on John's Limon thread.

Where do you get the small envelopes/baggies? Can I just put them in ziploc snack bags? And you do want multiple bags of each type (not 1 big bag of each that would have to be separated out)?

I hope everything will be dried and ready to send out early Nov.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 11:09

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

You can get small baggies from Walmart (in the sowing dept, sometimes next to the fake jewelry). Target probably has or this type of store in your area.

last resort order online.

I would try to send multiple bags of each variety if you have that much. This way, you spread out the love to multiple people.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

I bought these from amazon and they are really nice for seeds.

By the way, I will be sending seeds in as well (I posted this on another thread but making it official here). Unfortunately the only varieties that did well for me were the ornamentals..

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Zip Lock Bags

This post was edited by Siouxzn on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 12:58

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Thanks Ronny, I was looking for those small zip bags. Even smallest snack bags are too big and bulky.
    My seeds are almost ready. Pepper seeds dry much quicker than , say, tomato seeds and are much easier to handle too.

So here I come, Walmart !

• garretds7
    9 years ago

I just noticed someone mentioned Wallmart. But decided to go ahead and post the extra info.

If there is a Wallmart around you, you can get 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" zip bags in the "bead" department for a $1.00 each. 100 count packages. You might notice it could be a hit and miss getting them too. I'd check there if it's convenient for you. I try to buy as many as I can when I go there. They have worked perfect for me.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update - rec'd two more packages last night. Keep em coming

6wks to go

Johnny

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I had just put an order in on Amazon! Oh well, I don't need 1000 bags. I'll check W@lmart.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

I didn't think I needed 1000 either but I seems to be going through them fast!

Johnny, my package was mailed today!

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Based on the talk, I should have about 5k packs of seeds to sort a/ distribute. :)

Johnny

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Johnny you'll have your work cut out for you.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Much different than last year. Way more players and more people sending larger quantities.

Newbies should get a good load of seeds for next years grow.

This should be good.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 20:50

• seysonn
    9 years ago

UPDATE:

Regular walm-arts do no carry those bags. Maybe super centers do.
    Anyway, I found them at Michael's .

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I've bought mine at sewing/craft shops in the bead area.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

My WM had them - got 100 for $1(plus 6 cents tax). I think that will do me for a couple of years...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Mailed out my seeds this morning. Kinda excited to see how this all works out.
    PS: I sent 7 varieties with plenty of each for everyone.
    Good luck all.
    Bruce

• thomas7608
    9 years ago

Johnny

Mailed out my seeds on 10/24th

Thomas
    San Antonio, TX

• coolvol
    9 years ago

I am still collecting seeds from some plants and so my contribution will be sent in late. I still have a few varieties that have not ripened any pods yet. I may have to bring a pot or 2 inside for some time.I am looking forward to participation though.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Couple more packs rec'd yesterday.
    1. RKing
    2. TVincent

Johnny

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Bumpâ¢

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Now that everybody got zip bags and the seeds are cured, lets go to work (telling myself hehe)

I should get my acts together this week and do it.
    Have to be careful labeling, guys. Do one variety at a time, label/mark the pouches, put it away and do another one.

AND don't pick any seed fallen on the table, GUESSING that "AH it was blab blab .." . just throw them away for Pete's sake ! :-)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Good advice seysonn.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Time to bring in some ripe Lemon Drops.

If I drop a seed, I do not pick it up off the floor. My rule.

• fommy15
    9 years ago

Johnny- I know you said we should either send postage & envelope or money. Do you have a preference? I would like to do my part to make your crazy job simpler. I have no problem just inserting some money so you can buy exactly what you want to use.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shipping is typically $3. Either or (cash/stamps) is fine.

Johnny

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Looks like this thread has almost reached its limit.

• flipback23
    9 years ago

Got mine packed up and will mail out by Friday.....Gotta make a want list now lol.
    Rey

• seysonn
    9 years ago

@ Fommy15,
    You cleared up a good point. I was all confused how to take care of return arrangement. I am sending in 30 tiny packs of seed and I just WISH to get 6 or seven back.
    I'll just include appropriate funds, with my return mailing label, and let Johnny do it his way. This way less clutter for Johnny.

seysonn

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

seysonn

What if Johnny sends you 30 packs of seeds, including everything on your wish list. Would you send them back, use them (the ones you like) or trash them. Where's the fun in only getting 6 packs- you get to pick and choose what you would like to grow next year.

My first year I got like 35 packs of seeds. I used most since I wanted to try some new varieties.

I sent in 130 packages- anywhere from 3-5 bags of the same variety, 31 different varieties, about 20 seeds per pack. From mild to Habanero hot for everyone to enjoy and grow out. I don't expect back 130 packs of seeds.

I would venture to say that this year Johnny will be sending out more seed packs, split up among all participants, from what I am seeing so far.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 22:38

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

In past swaps, it was intended that the the sending envelope be re-used to get your booty back. Thus you include a return label inside, with postage or money.

If he has to buy a new bubble envelope, it will cost more then just postage. Those little suckers are expensive.

Dennis

(At least, I think that is what this past exchange has been about. Not entirely sure...)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I believe you can get the small bubble envelope for .50c. Not sure how much bags you can stuff in those without overfilling it.

3-4 bucks usually covers everything.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I just re-used a couple bubble mailers I had saved. I mailed the seeds in a larger 12x14 envelope and included the seeds along with a small 4x6 bubble mailer with two 49 cent stamps. I only asked for a few packs in return so I am sure I could have gotten by with one stamp on the return. It is all addressed and stamped and ready for Johnny to put the seeds in, seal and mail.
    BTW, I sent in over 600 packs of seed but only 6 or 7 varieties, so anyone asking for surplus or the newbies will likely get a few of mine. hahahaha.
    Bruce

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Bruce - How much did the 12x14 cost to ship? I was considering a small flat rate box instead of the bubble envelope.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I sent over 600 packs of seeds with the small return bubble mailer inside the larger bubble mailer and it came to 12.4 ounces. It cost me $4.12 to send USPS First Class. I think a small flat rate priorty would be about $5-$6.
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 23:08

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor