SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fl

Use Youtube when you have a problem.

joann_fl
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My washer (Whirlpool top loader) got stuck and needed to be recalabrated or restarted some how. I was doing a drain and spin cycle but I turned it off before it was over since I didn't want my sweater to accidently shrink. The lights were flashing and I couldn't turn it off or do anything with it. I called Whirlpool, got a bit of a run around (as most do) and he tells me to turn off the breaker for about 5 min. I waited about 30 min and the light were still flashing. I called whirlpool again and this time got a lady and she was nicer but she had nothing to tell me except to send out a repair man in 3-4 days. She also informed me know I could have a $90 service fee if it wasn't covered under the warranty. (The washer is only 4 months old) Well, back to youtube........ I found it under: Whirlpool washer recalibration you have to start at normal. turn left one time , turn right 3 times then left again then to spin and push the start button. WOW, thats nuts.................. IT WORKED, I fixed my washer!

So, if you have any problems take it to youtube and save some $$$$

Comments (50)

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

Good reminder! Recently, I was told that the cabin air filter for my car needed to be replaced at a cost of $120. Youtube and Amazon and I did the job for $30.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

My personal trainer and my yoga instructor live in Youtube. They are available any time day or night, on holidays and weekends and they even come on vacation with me.

Besides my exercise people, I enjoy looking at and trying new jewelry making techniques by following Youtube videos. I taught myself how to do basic torch work this way. Next up will be soldering.

Our apple tree was badly in need of pruning - Youtube to the rescue.

Besides all that, they have a wealth of cute puppy and doggie videos as well as wildlife doing funny and unexpected things.

Love Youtube!

• Related Discussions

You know you have have the garden bug when you....

Q

Comments (11)
    ...when you solicit other people's organic material to mulch the "new" areas you've reclaimed from lawn. A couple months ago, I saw a guy trimming all of the hedges at the bank across the street. Next thing you know, he's backed his pickup truck into my yard and he's helping me haul this stuff here'n'there. That was great stuff! Fresh, tender growth from the shrubs mixed with the leaves he had raked off of the mulch. Then there's the trunk-loads of trimmings I've brought here many times from my Mom's house (she refuses to compost,) bags of sawdust from honey's work, bags of peanut shells from a friend's chicken farm, and bags of pine needles from honey's Mom's house. ...all happily composting in a giant pile near the back fence, waiting to be dumped on a new lasagna bed next weekend. ...when you spend an hour putting potted plants in the yard to get rained on, then an hour getting wet & icky putting them back on the porch. ...when there's a rainy morning in the summer and you go to work outside, since that's the only time it's not too hot. ...when you've timed a move so it will be a good time to dig up your plants and bring them to the new place too. ...when you hear yourself thinking, "If this grass was mowed, the beds would show up better." ...when you realize you've been absent-mindedly deadheading someone's plants while you're at their house visiting. ...when you end up with so many pots of cuttings that you don't even have anywhere to plant them.
    ...See More

Navigating Youtube and Windows Android problem?

Q

Comments (4)
    I've never connected the tablet directly to the pc. The pc is running Win7. In the past I've usually just gone directly to a youtube video without logging in, like Raven describes. I haven't changed any of my account settings on Youtube. But now when I go to the site on my pc I get a page that wants me to set up channels, and there isn't any way I can find to even get to the youtube home page. It's weird. I'm running Firefox 14.01. Settings might be the cause. I remember when I got the first tablet, playing with how the tablet browser displayed differently at sites using the android vs pc desktop display option inside the browser on the tablet. For a while afterwards when I visited sites like Huffpost, the site would ask which display I preferred. Thanks for the responses. I'll try to check the settings at Youtube.
    ...See More

You have got to love this dog..youtube video

Q

Comments (13)
    And he's such a camera ham! Playing tricks on the camera and always making sure he was being recorded. "Is it still rolling" "Okay, I'll do this now." "Can it find me?" HAHAHAHAHA!!! That was so fun to watch.
    ...See More

Fake YouTube pages used to spread viruses

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to tell my college age daughter to beware.
    ...See More
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

no - no- that's the problem with you tube.......I get sucked into all those adorable animal videos when I should be working on something real.

• OklaMoni
    4 years ago

Yup, you tube has saved me a bunch of money too. I also watch some stuff in German. :)

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Lots of good information is on YT. I purchased a Hyundai Kona a couple of months ago after I fried some of the electronics in my old Subaru. For a while I was receiving several emails with links to YT explaining some of the features. I have also watched for medical procedures prior to going to the doctor so I could ask reasonably intelligent questions.

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

I have learned how to fix so many things on YT I can't even begin to count. Most recently, it was the line advance thingy on my string trimmer. DH watched about ten videos on replacing my water pump on the Jeep and it went very smoothly. Oh, plus the bird videos for cats keep my guys entertained for free.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Unless you know the source of a You Tube episodes and are directed by the source to those items, I'd caution that You Tube information can be as variable as other unregulated internet-obtained information. Not always right, not always wrong, but variable.

• User
    4 years ago

I fixed my dishwasher when it was not filling, by watching YouTube. :)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Okay, well my similarly anecdotal recent experiences are that the most seemingly relevant videos I found on two different occasions when looking for help with two different problems were of no use at all.

As a for instance, one had to do with trying to deal with an Android problem I was trying to fix. It turned out that despite having an identical model designation as a smartphone I was dealing with, the video was produced by a person in India using the Indian version of the phone and it was different enough that the menu tree of the phone in the video was different from the one I was holding in my hand. So it was useless. No other videos were available. I had turned to YouTube because Verizon tech support was stumped. I called them back to try again and when my inquiry was finally moved up to Level II support, the person I was dealing with had more detailed Knowledgebase info to access and he was able to resolve the problem.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

The windows in my Land Rover suddenly would not roll up. Utube showed how to take out a circuit board, what resister to replace....and Viola! My electric windows work!!!! It's $150 just to pull into a bay at the dealer...then they give you an estimate for repairs. I don't want to know what they would have charged!

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

My friend swears by you tube for this. I can't remember all the instances she told me about but the last one was for a simple changing of the ink jet in her printer. She doesn't have to change it that often and can never remember how to do it. You tube to the rescue.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" It's $150 just to pull into a bay at the dealer...then they give you an estimate for repairs.."

That's a crappy dealer, not all are like that. We have numerous dealers to choose from for each of our cars and I think the competition keeps them more customer friendly. Do you have alternates available for your Rover?

True story - for a ticky tacky problem with a car just off warranty a few years ago, I'd called a dealer and was told "we can take a look at it for you but there's a $69 inspection charge we'll apply to the bill if you have us fix it". I responded "Okay, thanks, I think I'll check with another dealer to see if they can look at it without charge." The response was "We'd rather keep your business, why not bring it in this afternoon and we'll see what's wrong with it and I won't charge you for doing that". I don't negotiate for everything as if my life were spent in a Middle Eastern bazaar, I was thinking out loud as much as anything else, but my words were enough to trigger a more reasonable offer from the dealership. It turned out to be a $39 part which I gladly paid for but he made a point of telling me they were happy to install it for free, no labor charge.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

No...unfortunately only one Land Rover dealer in town. They vacuum it and detail it every time. And....they misdiagnose my suv troubles any way. $39...that's a deal!

Once it acted like the fuel pump was shot. Installed one, same problem persisted. Going up hills it would be gas starved and slow down to 20mph. Utube gave the part number for an ABS speed sensor.....dealer did not stock it...said they had NEVER ordered one before. They said it sounded like it needed teflon valve guides, $2500.....and the part Utube recommended worked! $59!

• dadoes
    4 years ago

YouTube is a valuable and useful resource ... but regards to appliance repairs it's better to look for professionally-produced vids from parts vendors and repair services. I once watched a woman dealing with a problem with her washer. She had no idea how to disassemble it and went about the procedure completely the wrong way. Missed some steps that would have made it much easier and did some things that weren't necessary.

• socks
    4 years ago

It's always good to watch at least 2 videos to get information on how to do something. Recently I had two 32-gallon trash cans stuck together and did not have the strength to get them apart. YouTube videos said to force a hose down inside and run water. It worked. Maybe you all knew that, but I didn't.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

My son learned most of his car and motorcycle maintenance from youtube. He saves himself a bundle of money. I save my sanity with a weekly dose of cat videos.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I bought a sewing machine with a self threading needle because these old eyes and bifocals made threading a needle very difficult. I can never figure out how to make the self threader work...it's definitely not intuitive and the owner's manual doesn't make sense to me. YT to the rescue...I look at it every time I need to thread the machine.

There are a few other things around the house that I've used youtube to either fix or figure out how to run/use, but I can't recall right now what they are.

I LOVE youtube!

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I like Youtube too. I'm watching a bunch of Japan, different people to get an idea of what to expect. Finally going after many years of dreaming.

• jane__ny
    4 years ago

Hummm, you just gave me an idea. Never thought of youtube.

My Honda Pilot remote stopped working. I went to Autozone and got a new battery for it. Well, it still didn't work to unlock the doors. I went back to autozone, where I bought the battery and he tried it and when it didn't work, he said, 'oh, it must be the sensor in the car, you need to take it to Honda to fix it.'

Well, I know what that would cost, so I just open the door and the cargo with the key. Its a pain since I'm so used to clicking on my remote. But since my Honda is an 07, I figure it will cost a fortune so I'll just live with it.

Maybe I'll look on youtube. How would I find such a video? Honestly never used youtube before except when people leave links I click on.

Do I just go to youtube.com or something like that?

Jane

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Jane, yes go to the link you posted. Once there, type a phrase in the youtube search bar along the lines of "fix honda pilot remote" or "honda pilot remote unlock doors" and you should get the results you are looking for.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

To clarify ... when I said to look for professionally-produced vids ... I meant on YouTube. There are also some on Vimeo.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

Oh yes, every time there is a question about something. Fixed my washer problem that way, unplug and plug back in so now if it has a blinking light, that is what we do. Does not happen often, but if it does we know it should take care of it. I am always looking at how to can or cook something too. Whatever I am interested in and the rest of the family does also.

Sue

• Janie
    4 years ago

Dawn, would you mind sharing the yoga youtube that you like? I would love to see it.

And yes, I do like youtube for some things - like how to put together my Christmas tree - one year I just blanked out and could not get the middle pole to do its thing and youtube came to my rescue.

• Michael
    4 years ago

It's not always a video.

Reset Honda Pilot Remote

Let me know if it works.

The remote may be dirty. They are easy to disassemble, clean with IPA or electronic spray cleaner.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Janie, I'm on my way out the door and will be gone til this afternoon, but I'll post some links for you later today when I get back.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Janie, here are a few routines that I use.

This one isn't a full yoga routine; it's posted as a cardio workout for people over 50, but it does include some yoga components. While I don't find that it gets my heart rate up, I can see how it could for those who are sedentary. But, it's one of my favorite routines because it really stretches the body and I include it in my daily exercise routines because it makes me feel so good. It's only 20 minutes which makes it even more appealing for those who don't have a lot of time for working out.

Cardio Over 50

Chair yoga for those who have difficulty getting down or up from the floor:

Chair Yoga

This is a good and gentle routine:

Gentle Yoga Over 50

Some great stretches here in only five minutes:

Full Body Stretch

And, this one is more strenuous. I wouldn't try this if you aren't already fit, but it's something to work up to eventually:

PIYO

Yoga instructors always stress not to push yourself too hard. Always go at your own pace and if feeling pain back off. The idea isn't to push to the point of hurting yourself but to make your body feel good and slowly build up to more difficult moves. I have a bad knee, so I take it easy on moves that can put stress on my knee.

This isn't on youtube, but I really like this site:

Do Yoga With Me

While some of their videos are available for a fee, many of them are free. Just explore the site to find what you're looking for. They have a lot of videos for seniors as well as for specific parts of the body such as strengthening the back. For myself, I try different videos and see how I like them. Over the years, I've taken different moves that work for me and have come up with my own routine. You just have to figure out what works best for you.

Hope you enjoy exploring yoga!

• ritaweeda
    4 years ago

I've used youtube many times to find out how to do something. Especially in the area of quilting, cooking and gardening. But sometimes other things like taking something apart or using a tool, etc. That doesn't mean everything you see will work, but you can get lucky sometimes. And you generally have to look at several before you find one that looks in any way legit.

• Janie
    4 years ago

Thanks very much Dawn, I really appreciate your taking the time to post the links and website. Its my morning alone and I have an hour left and so I'll be checking these out!

• nopartyghost
    4 years ago

Yes to YouTube. Had a screen door & a couple of window screens that needed to be fixed or replaced. Watched a couple of videos, bought supplies, started with the smallest window & worked my way up to the door. Worked great. Saved a lot of money.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

My pleasure, Janie! Hope you find one or more that works for you.

• socks
    4 years ago

Found out what to do when family member put regular dishwashing product in the dishwasher. (Vinegar helped)

• graywings123
    4 years ago

I am amazed and delighted by YouTube videos done by average people solely to help others. I especially appreciate the guy who did a video on how to fix the rear seat mechanism of my van.

• joann_fl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like Hasfit videos. easy chair and standing exercises, they will wear you out. Hasfit

• elbits
    2 years ago

I changed my air cabin filter thanks to You tube. I also watched the clothes pin trick for my Speed Queen washer and can watch the clothes wash with the lid open! But seriously, my son in law didn't need a video for the washer, he did it for me in less than a minute!

• KATHY
    2 years ago

We have fixed a lot of things using youtube

• foodonastump
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I know it’s from a year ago but Nicole’s comment hit home. Yes, here Land Rover wants $180 diagnostic charge and it does not credit towards the repair. When I complained they likened it to going to the doctor: you don’t get their diagnosis for free. Ugh, never again. Yes I can get an indy to take care of many basic things but they don’t seem to want to get too involved. Maybe I need to look harder. Anyway yes, I’ve taken care of a few things (including a window issue) by googling youtube videos.

• joann_fl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I recently had to use YouTube to figure out how to unlatch my car hood. I was holding my hand up like I did with other cars but it had to be down in order to find the lever. Who knew!

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

I love youtube to learn new things and to know how to fix things. I have learned and done so much with guidance from the info there.

I used to get books from the library, decades ago. I used to check out knitting books and other needwork books but quickly exhausted the selection. And a book can be so limiiting. I dont even use the library anymore for anything and dont buy books or magazines.

I remember a time when an occassional magazine might be the only thing that addressed any interest that I had in anything. I still have a few of those old magazines and I revisit them at times to revist that thrill that I had with them. I have no interest in modern magazines or books. I think that the last magazine that I purchased was Piecework, many years ago. Compared to the internet, the content was so limited.

It is also good for reviews of products. Yesterday I watched videos of a toy that I was considering for my youngest grandson for his third bday, on Youtube. It is good to see what just real people have to say about it.

• katlan
    2 years ago

We purchased a new to us suv last winter. YouTube has shown my all sorts of hows to and what's this button for. Much easier than getting out the book lol.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

what do you do when youtube is the problem?

• armjim
    2 years ago

I have used YouTube for everything from learning out how to repair the blacktop on a driveway to changing batteries in a key fob to the clothespin trick for the SQ washer. It is a great tool. And to think more than a decade ago I used it only to view obscure music performances.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I use youtube every. single. time. I have to thread my "self threading" sewing machine (that I use infrequently).

• Curly Sue
    2 years ago

YT showed me how to fix my grandfather clock. It was chiming 1 time too many each hour. You Tube to the rescue. It also showed me how to get the airbag sensor light on my dash to go off. Nothing wrong with it that Nissan couldn't fix for $50 just to reset the sensor. Also showed me how to change the battery in my key fob for the same car, saving me another $50. I didn't really need help changing a battery, but the verbage used in my owners manual didn't say your battery is dead but you tube did.

• Ninapearl
    2 years ago

i often refer to youtube to fix things and 9 times out of 10, the first video i see is the one that solves the issue.

i also use youtube when i'm having a bad case of puppy fever. i go there, type in "puppy destruction" in the search bar and within 2 minutes, my urge to have a puppy is quashed!

• socks
    2 years ago

How to unclog a toilet with one of those accordian plungers, how to separate two 32-gallon trash cans.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I found how to fix a late model clothes dryer that needed a new heater element; and more recently how to fix my electric corded lawn mower (a $5 part that took 5 minutes to install), repair shop would have charged over $70.

I learned how to disassemble, clean and reassemble various vacuum cleaners also.

BTW in the process of learning to repair the lawnmower, I learned that it is important to to open the cover and clean out accumulated grass clippings - I was shocked to see all that were in mine - because they can actually get into the motor eventually and ruin it.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

I think these old threads pop up when new posters are trying to drive people to their linked sites. This increases traffic to the site and therefore revenue from advertisers. I suggest not clicking on those links.

Imfixed my microwave with tips from Youtube.

• olychick
    2 years ago

I flag any with links as spam

• cgtmc
    2 years ago

You tube and ebay, 2 of my go to.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!