SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandyjk1

Poorly built custom kitchen cabinets

Sandy K
4 years ago

I hired a cabinet builder in June 2018 and it took him 13 months to build and install my cabinets. He cost us many weeks of construction time while we were living in a rental home and he ignored repeated pleas over many months to finish the job. He lied over and over again about when he would be coming to work on my house, making promises and blowing us off by not showing up for several weeks. He was working on other jobs that he’d started after ours, and we finally filed a complaint with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors because he wasn’t completing our job. What do you know? He pretty much (not 100% but almost) finished installation 15 minutes before the inspector arrived, about five weeks after he knew the complaint had been filed. Now that the cabinets are in, I’m dealing with what I’ve been told looks like a rush job. Planer marks on the rail and stile edges, extremely rough grooves in the bead board, and warping of the thin insert panels in the fronts of my drawers and doors. He blamed this on the width of the fronts, but even my little 12” desk drawers have uneven gaps between the frames and the inserts. We don’t have word back from the inspector yet, but other cabinet builders have told me that these fronts should be replaced with better quality work. The inserts are only 1/4” or 3/8” thick (I don’t recall) rather than a thicker piece of wood that has been trimmed down at the edges to fit into the frame, the way it seems everyone else in town builds them. The cabinet guy told the inspector that the insert thickness meets the Arizona’s standards. On some of the fronts, you can see where there is unpainted or unstained wood, due to the gaps being so wide. The inspector pulled one drawer open and the handle was loose. The cabinet builder blamed it on the screws I provided. The screws are the ones that came with the expensive drawer pulls I bought and if they weren’t the right ones for the job, why did he install them all over my kitchen and laundry room? Wouldn’t it be the right thing to do to stop and complain about the screws not being adequate for the job instead of using all of them and not saying anything? Or is this just a case of “blame the homeowner” for his failure to provide a quality product? If the inspector rules that this workmanship meets standards, I’ll have to live with the cabinets the way they are. The third photo was taken with under-cabinet lights on, which really accentuated the roughness of the bead board grooves, which another builder told me should have been sanded smooth. I have a lot more photos, but could only upload four. I’m so disgusted that this cabinet builder took 13 months to build my cabinets and installed what you see in the photos. At one point, he resentfully told me that I didn’t pay enough for my cabinets. It appears that he tried to make up for that with cheaping out on the project. He’s definitely earned the privilege of having his work posted all over the internet for all to see. Cabinets by Bill Norton Cabinets, Chino Valley, AZ. Serving the greater Prescott, AZ area.

Comments (18)