SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_anderson3523499

Need custom kitchen cabinet advice/help

Nick Anderson
9 years ago

We're having custom cabinets built for our new house but our builder, while really good, is pretty old fashioned and he's not really "up" on the latest hardware like "soft close" drawer slides and door hardware. So, I'm trying to find some good ones to suggest to him. I know this will sound weird to some but we live WAY out in the middle of nowhere and this is the best builder available. So, it is what it is and I need some advice.

My research so far seems to indicate that Blum is one of the top of the line companies; and I'm considering using their "Tandem" undermount drawer slides. They run about $24 which isn't too bad but, then, it seems that they require a "locking device." I'm not sure but it looks like each slide will need one. These can run anywhere from $3 to $10.50 EACH!

Here are my questions:

1. What are some other good brands, that won't break the bank, that I can look for - for soft-close drawer guides? Preferably one's that have some sort of 'assist' that makes them easy to open and hopefully self-closing. Although that last part isn't a complete deal breaker.

2. What are some good brands and models of soft close cabinet door hinges/hardware? Again, I want quality but I don't want something that just crazy expensive.

3. Can someone tell me what components of Blum hardware I will need for a single drawer? Like, do I need the 2 slides AND 2 locking devices? Or, do I need something else? Do I use the same locking device on each slide or do I need one of the cheaper ones and one of the more expensive ones? Here's a link to a page showing the slides as well as the compatible locking devices (see bottom of the page) I'm talking about: http://www.wwhardware.com/blum-tandem-full-ext-b563h-series

4. Same question goes for the Blum door hinges and hardware.

Thanks so much to those who reply!

Comments (12)