SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luna_vista

400 sq. ft. open concept

Luna Vista
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Need ideas for reducing visual clutter and optimizing space.

Comments (147)

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@partim and @Groveraxle, wow, special thanks for all of the sincere kindness and desire to help! You and numerous others have been so welcoming and attentive to me. This has been an amazing and productive experience. I did not expect all that would result from mymy somewhat vague dilemma. I didn't truly know what was wrong or what I wanted out of my place until you all helped me to clarify my own thoughts.

The biggest example is the fireplace. It never occured to me in thw least bit that the mirror is a big dilemma for me because, for the most part, I like mirrors. I was just focused on its corner position. But I will definitely explore what can be done about that mirror. That will be my next big project..

Through this experience I've come to realize that im happy with the current layout. It works for us for many different reasons. For example, I realize for sure now that I'm not ready to let go of the banquette bench. It's super comfortable, it provides a ton of storage both inside each bench and on the floor underneath (That's where the REAL clutter is!), and it fits a ton of people around it. That bench along with the breakfast bar are the two most popular places in the house. I've rigged two power strips under the bench. We've spent hours sitting in those two areas with our laptops plugged, doing work or just hanging out.

I also realize that I do want to keep the buffet and add the floating shelf over it as planned. I love to cook and host events. I like being able to lay out a nice spread there, or simply use it as a self-serve area for drinks when I have company.

I also feel comfortable leaving the tv where it is and the red settee. It makes me very happy to have a nice place to sit and talk. The tv is already in a great position to be viewed from all directions. We can watch from the couch, the breakfast bar, from the kitchen, and from one of the dining room chairs without having to mount it or swivel it at all. We even turn the recliner around sometimes and watch tv from that area. I know the spot where the tv is seems small, but that couch comfortably seats 3 adults. We open it into a full sized bed and spread out, stretching our legs, with plenty of room.

And the library by the fireplace is my absolute favorite spot. It offers a bit of privacy, peace, quiet, and serenity with no tv there. The fireplace is perfect for reading, knitting, boatd games, etc. I dont tgink it woyld be the same on the other side of the room witgout the fireplace. I can't give it up at this time.

However, your kindness has changed and motivated me in ways that simply wouldn't have happened if I had not joined this community. I would have just continued being lost and unsure, feeling that something was not right, but not figuring it out or being in denial and not taking action to solve it. Now I clearly see what my place needs in order to fix the problem. Not only

I see it, but I've take real action to solve the problem.

I have a huge surprise I'm working on right now. It should actually be ready for me to share within the hour. Be on the lookout for a new thread of some before and after pictures! I was literally up all night working on it.

This is truly a gift you are giving to people like me. Please keep it coming!

• Related Discussions

ideas for an open area of 800 sq ft

Q

Comments (4)
    I wonder if a decomposed granite surface would appeal to you? The olives and pines with the rock and brick borders suggest a mediterranean garden, and DG is used extensively in southern France and Italy. Once installed, it's easy to care for, and no water issues. Your garden might have the feel of a country house in Provence. If you have a few photos you could share, you'll get more feedback.
    ...See More

Wish list for 2000 sq ft single level

Q

Comments (39)
    I don't want to walk through a closet to a bathroom; through a bedroom to a closet; through a bathroom to a closet. Solution for us was a long rectangle with a short hallway between MRB and MBA with two flanking closets with pocket doors. Closet, hallway and MB are 14 X 20. No biggie to clean a large bathroom with a tile floor. Biggie to clean an oversized *shower*; don't go there! I love having his and her sinks. I need a basement to hold mechanicals and to raise the house off the ground. I have asthma. I don't want living space IN a basement though, and Old People don't 'do' stairs if they can avoid them.
    ...See More

What size fan in an open concept room?

Q

Comments (2)
    The typical blade span is 52-56" for rooms up to 350SF and 60"+ for rooms over 350SF and the stem height for a 10' ceiling is 12" max.
    ...See More

1900 sq ft home

Q

Comments (6)
    Of course I can't comment on your specific plan without seeing it, but your rooms and total square footage is similar to ours, though we have a family room almost the same size as the living room. Our twin sons were born here, and are now both grown and gone. As they got bigger the house did feel smaller, but now that it's just the two of us again, it's just right.
    ...See More
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Luna, your link goes to “Page not found.” In any case, I‘m glad you clarified your thoughts on the space and feel like you have a direction. Sometimes all it takes is a new perspective and a little nudge. Now go forth and take another step toward your more perfect room. ;-)

Luna Vista thanked groveraxle
  • Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm having problems posting. When I go look at this thread on my computer while not signed in, I don't see the last post that I made. I've contacted help, but it could take up to 3 business days for a response. I'll again to post pictures of the work I did to clear out tgings that are not really important and jist contributung to

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I took the wicker chairs, the two rugs, and even the table that was in the library. I also took out the black shelving units. I found either a new function, a place to store, or a temporary spot until i can get rid of it. I'm really happy with the rsults!

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Sign in first Luna.

Luna Vista thanked happyleg
  • Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @happyleg, I've been signed in to my phone the whole time. Must've been a system problem. Now I see that my posts are coming though on the computer, but oneone that I posted hours ago never went through.

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have even more dance floor now! It's incredible to me how narrow that space was before. As you can see, I really took the suggestions to heart. If it wasn't for the support of the Houzz community represented on this s thread, i would've momost likely maintained the status quo. The crazy thing is that my kids hardly noticed when they got home today!

We were so used to it like that I guess. My son said hehe sensed that there was more space now, but he couldn't figure out how.

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• happyleg
    4 years ago

A slim chair u will have more fun! :)

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was reminded by the before picture to turn half the photo frames to face one room and half facing the other room. So after I reduced to 4 total frames, that's what I did. I think it helps it look less

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's that small table and the little ottomans I mentioned. They're for board and card gaming and crafcrafting. The legs screw out and snap in underneath so it stores flat behind the recliner. Its noce for those times we have to leave a game, craft or puzzle. It can be pushed into a corner and remain undisturbed until we get back.

Clearing out the area leaves much more space for that now. Also, it will be easier to turn the recliner around for tv watching.

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The otromans are actually quite comfortable. They have a soft tufted top and since the back of the couch is slightly padded, they make good bench seating when stored against it next to the recliner.

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Once again, many thanks to all. I will keep you posted on other developments, including the mirror!

• Gina S
    4 years ago

Luna Vista, following you and watching your space evolve has been so interesting. You have great taste, a lovely home, and decor with great memories and energy. Your decor was going in the right direction but you knew it wasn't quite doing what you wanted it to do. I've enjoyed watching the brainstorming between you and the great houzz minds to pull it together without throwing out the things you love, spending money on buying things you don't need, but pulling it together.

I really enjoyed watching GroverAxle's listen to you (really listen) and seeing his tasteful suggestions has made me a GA superfan. :)

You've done a great job. You kept an open mind and edited in a way that made you happy. Great job!!

Luna Vista thanked Gina S
  • partim
    4 years ago

I think you made good choices on the location of all your major seating pieces.

One thing I would change is the traffic path that goes through the . I don't like that the traffic path swerves through the middle of the kitchen/seating/buffet area. IMO that's what is "off" about the big space in the middle, as you said earlier.

The solution is to return to the logical shorter traffic path along the staircase wall, which will look great covered with your art, but no table on it.

It is hard for us to tell from photos but is there room to put the buffet beside the end of the bookshelf? In the "after" version the lighter blue traffic path is shorter and straighter, and the open space is not so obvious.

Luna Vista thanked partim
  • Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Gina S, Thank you, very much. Your words are so uplifting! I agree and I'm also a fan of the talented people here. What amazes me most is people who envision my floor plan, whether mentally or by manipulating the actual plan.

Equally impressive are the people who are somehow in my head and, in an encouraging way, can help me realize how I feel. It's like I'm part of a team, each member bringing different strengths. And you are definitely a valued member of the team, Gina S!

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@partim, I read your comment a few hours ago and got to work. I totally agree about needing better traffic flow. In the next comments I'll post more after pictures. Thoughts?

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And how about floating shelves on that wall instead of the beach grouping, which I want to put in the rec room anyway?

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also plan to take out the rug in the dining room. It serves no purpose and doesn't fit properly anyway. Now I'll have two rugs to replace the family room one as needed. That is a great advantage!

• partim
    4 years ago

Yes. But the traffic path along the staircase wall should be at least 4 feet wide, so scoot the cabinet about 2 feet closer to the bench. It needs to visually belong to the dining area. I did not realize the back was unfinished - either paint it black or cover with black paper.

Do you have a larger rug that would go under the dining table and across the front of the buffet?

• partim
    4 years ago

Would the beach photo be the perfect size to go over the red love seat?

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I like the way you put those ottomans up against the back of the coach. That was smart !

Luna Vista thanked lindahambleton
  • partim
    4 years ago

Instead of floating shelves for the wall, maybe a series of picture ledges would look good. That way you'd be able to display a rotating assortment of your art work, but in a way that is not visually cluttered. Shelves are busier which you are trying to get away from.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I agree that the buffet needs to come off the entry wall, but I would not float it. Put it flat against the opposite wall and float the table and chairs instead. It would require moving the chandelier.

Luna Vista thanked groveraxle
  • Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@groveraxle, whoa, it's uncanny how much my place is starting to look like the examples you made! That idea would be very doable and look beautiful. It makes the most sense, too. I would definitely go with the longer table you suggested. Once I'm out of my banquette phase, I would go in that direction for sure.

P.S. I see you had already sold the little chairs lol

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@partim, agreed on the picture ledges. I moved the buffett and my daughter immediately said that it looks better. I think so, too. A larger rug would unify the space. I don't have one that size at this time.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Is it possible to use the black cabinets as end tables?? I don't like the back or put it in closet. Or for tv stand or back of couch.

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My son said he can build me an extension to bring it up to a true buffet height. Then the current top would becbecome the bottom of an inner shelf. I might cover the back with white so that it matches the bookshelf and walls.

• partim
    4 years ago

What if you butted it up against the bench or against the edge of the bookshelf?

I like Groveraxel's idea and I think it would actually look best there, but I think you prefer to keep the bench rather than replace it with 4 chairs.

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like having the passageway to the library

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@lindahambleton, I couldn't resist. I ordered two more. They arrived today. The pair set me back by $30. Can't complain.

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The rice paper lamps are back by popular demand. As evening arrived, I realized why we had put them there in the first place. I'm experimenting with the entry hall bench to conceal the outlet. It's very shallow, doesn't impede traffic. Something similar in black with no shelves is on my wish list.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Ah, Luna, when I moved the table to the middle of the space, I intended for the bench to come with it. I didn’t realize that the banquette is huge and turns the corner, so that won’t work. Maybe when that banquette breathes its last and collapses in a heap...

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Can you put the buffet under the window next to the recliner and use it as an end table?

Luna Vista thanked tqtqtbw
  • dotsandstripes 123
    4 years ago

I admit I have not read all the comments but I noticed your photo frames on your room divider bookcase. They are tricky because you inevitably see the back of the frame, depending on where you are in the space. I picked these up at Crate and Barrel recently to use on a sofa table. I "think" you can put photos on both sides. https://www.crateandbarrel.com/acrylic-8x10-block-picture-frame/s545843?st=Acrylic%208x10%20Block%20Picture%20Frame&ta=acrylic%20photo&rac=p2

Luna Vista thanked dotsandstripes 123
  • Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    4 years ago

The fireplace at our previous home was a freestanding sort of mod-style one with the stove-pipe going up through the ceiling and a weird sort of terracotta tile underneath it. I discovered when we were selling that it was indeed hooked up to the gas line and the only thing missing to start it up was a key thing that the previous owner didn't seem to have and I never knew I needed (I did have wood burning fires, the gas was for ignition...had a chimney sweep come and clean out the whole thing, man was that a mess!)...

You're working with such a small space, I think that over time we add more things than we really need (before we moved cross country in August 2017 I had to do some serious cleaning out and decluttering just to fit what we wanted to bring with us into the two PODs, and that had to happen before the stager came in! I had enough for a three bedroom house in a 984sqft two story loft style townhouse, but honestly what I got rid of I can't say I miss. We bought a sofa for the main floor living room when we arrived in our new state, and it's nice to have open space on the walls - not wall-to-wall furniture like before!)

I think the use of the wall going up the stairs for artwork is a great idea, it will also help you avoid too much on the walls in your downstairs area. :)

Luna Vista thanked Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
  • Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, I have finally come full circle and solved the second half of my original dilemma, optimizing space. I was unhappy with the "dance floor" in the entryway/dining area. I know my love for the banquette bench complicates the problem, and floating the buffet is not ideal, but once I moved it to this position, things finally feel right.

The whole floor seems more balanced now, and traffic areas are spacious and clear. The dining room feels an appropriate size, and the buffet is connected to that space. Between the back of the buffet and the wall is space for a much needed expanded entryway. Covering the backs and sides in white (I'm not done with that yet) helps it to blend into the decor.

For Thanksgiving, and other big events, I can move the buffet back to that position next to the bookshelf and add a temporary extra table with the extra set of chairs, including rhe little cute ones.

Yay!

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• partim
    4 years ago

Looks good to me but it's the kind of thing that you need to see in person to really judge. I agree that it all looks very balanced in your photos - good job!

Can we talk about accent color? You had said yours was red. Was that chosen because of the red couch? Other than the couch, your red items are fairly small. The accent color should be 10% of the room and, for example, the dining room has the vase and salt shakers, but that's too little. If you are going to buy anything (e.g. a rug), will you buy it in red because you love it, or will 10% red in the room feel overpowering?

Honestly, red is my least favorite accent color. It's not a relaxing color, which is why I am wondering about your choosing it. YMMV but I prefer quieter, peaceful vibe in an accent color. Green is always attractive, and you already have the large green plant. Blue is the classic calming color, and I see it in the beautiful color of the frame around the beach picture. That would be a great inspiration for a new accent color.

Changing the color of some accessories can be as easy as spray paint. Or pillow covers, even a beautiful scarf tied around a pillow.

• partim
    4 years ago

How wide is the path between the buffet and the bench? It looks about 3-4 ft.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

That is better & unless the buffet can float there? Exchange spots? Glad it's painted.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

It might be growing on me?

• Luna Vista
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@partim, good eye, it's 4 feet from the dining bench and 1 inch shy of 4 feet from the shoe rack.

I'm cool with red for now. It started with the black, white, and red of my last kitchen. Once that stuff all came over, I decided to unify the open floorplan with burgundy. In addition to the salt shaker and vase, I have a potted snake plant and lamp in burgundy in the DR. Some of the books are red, and the C-tables are a reddish wood color. Thats about enough red for me, i wouldnt add more.

And yes, I'm trying to make green my secondary accent with the plants. Eventually, I'll hang a plant in the library, too. I wouldn't mind if it were in a burgundy pot, but no more red after that.

• st5330
    4 years ago

you did a great job!

Luna Vista thanked st5330