SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

What hardwood do I really want?

weedyacres
4 years ago

I know, a tall order to read my mind, but I've got it narrowed down to 3 and need to decide in the next day or 2.

Background: just purchased the house, replacing all flooring except mudroom, laundry room and bathrooms with hardwood before we move in. My desires:

1. Solid hardwood

2. Minimal bevels (I prefer site-finished, but going with pre-finished for time's sake since I'm DIY-ing).

3. Walnut toned stain.

4. Not a fan of hand-scraped (Mr. Weedy likes hand-scraped but on this decision I have more votes)

5. Needs to work with everything we're going to do with the house. Kitchen will be renovated down the road, likely with painted cabinets of undetermined hue.

House is built in 1990, brick and vinyl outside, want to keep in character with that to the extent it has a character. Living area is wide-open concept: one big 29'x32' rectangle, hall leads to 3 bedrooms.

So here are the finalists:

A: 2 photos posted, because it was hard to capture with lighting (they wouldn't lend me a sample). The one on the right is probably a bit truer. I can live with wire brushed look. $5.99/sf at local flooring store #1.

B. Not in love with the wavy hand-scraped stuff, but $5.29/sf at Menards right now.

C. Edge bevels are a bit larger than I like, a tad glossier than I'd prefer. $5.99/sf at local flooring store #2.

B & C I photographed on top of natural walnut flooring in our current house for color comparisons.

Which one do you think would be best and serve our needs most truly?

Comments (3)