SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_mauri

Kitchen Sink/Electrical code question

Rebecca Mauri
4 years ago

Greetings,

I am trying to educate myself as best as I can as I head into a meeting with an electrician for our in progress kitchen remodel. Thank you in advance for any insight you or wisdom you can provide. If you don't have an "answer" per sey, perhaps you can guide me to asking a better question?

The electrician working on the kitchen remodel is saying our entire cabinetry layout is wrong by our sink. (we ordered the cabinets 4 weeks ago --due in next week). He says that there is not enough room for him to install a receptacle to code. So this has our scratching our heads. When I research this it seems like you need to have a receptacle every 24" and we have plenty of space for this and previously had a receptacle installed.

Our sink will be exactly where it always has been. And the only thing I can think of is that approx 12" to the right of the sink is a bump out/Soffit that holds our main plumbing stack. It has always been there, and will continue to be there as there is no other place for it to go. But I think there should still be room to install another outlet on that side? but I am not getting a clear answer if the issue really is how close the outlet would be to the sink? Clearance of some kind for the outlet to be within 12 " of the sink?

My other worry is if we are just inventing more costs? This is not our first debate with the electrician our contractor uses. I will be frank -he was trying to tell us we needed to upgrade and change all of our wiring throughout the house as well as replace a panel (that was upgraded 5 years ago). I can't seem to overlook this initial encounter as we get into this back and forth with this latest issue.

I've attached a design mock-up of the kitchen --so you can understand the soffit/bump out better in relation to the sink. Thank you! Just trying to educate myself and ask better questions to figure out what is really needed.

Comments (18)