SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cambro5

Looking for specifics of electrical code in kitchen redo

cambro5
16 years ago

I am doing a kitchen redo - not DIY but thru a home center/Home Depot-type of place. I do not plan any major rewiring except moving and adding a couple of outlets and relocating an electric heat unit to a toe kick.

The kitchen place has offered me under cabinet lighting for $450 a 'bank' (I'd need two) and this seems outrageous to me! I understand it takes special wiring to hard wire it and give me a switch etc, but I'm at the limit of my budget and don't want to spend this much. I am looking for a cheaper way of doing this - like getting under cabinet lights from home depot and simply plugging them into the outlets over the counter. Or even having the contractor put outlets inside a couple of cabinets to hide the plugs.

My question is, is this compliant with electrical code? I don't know anything about electrical stuff but one contractor that came out to give me an estimate early on mentioned the electrical code requiring so many outlets along a new bank of countertop I am installing, etc. My present contractor seems rather casual about it.

If anyone can give me a run down on kitchen electrical code, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!

Comments (8)