SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_955290593

keeping area off of kitchen needs some help

Kristy Seaman
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I had posted awhile ago about the dilemma between an island or a peninsula in our kitchen. We still haven't gutted the kitchen, but are in the process of ordering new, larger window, flooring and cabinets. It seems that the peninsula is the favorite so far. I have, what I suppose, is a small keeping room adjacent to the kitchen. It was originally advertised as a family room when the house was listed, but the space isn't very large and sits between the sunroom, living room and hallway. There is a fireplace and an alcove where we just built and installed a bookcase. I also recently painted the sandstone fireplace white (the stone would fall apart every time I cleaned it). I have 2 worn slipper chairs that I thought I would reupholster and place in that area. I put the boxwood wreath up and a small side table; however, the space still feels like it is missing something. I'm afraid once we install the peninsula, it will feel a little crowded but it doesn't feel finished yet. I thought of adding some more greenery, maybe a taller plant, and a large basket with firewood, also maybe some sconces. I'm not sure if the chairs are too small or the right style for the area. The wall still needs painted--deciding on colors at this time which will depend on the countertop I choose--and recessed lighting.

Any suggestion on how I can make this space more inviting would be appreciated. Thanks. Attached are some images of what it looks like with the chairs and a floor plan including the kitchen area.

Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Comments (4)