SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Do you have a favorite brand of sunglasses?

Kathsgrdn
4 years ago

Way back in the 80s, when I was single, I splurged on a pair of Vuarnet sunglasses. I loved those sunglasses. They were the first that fit my face perfectly. I paid $100 for them back then. Then I got married and the ex borrowed them to wear at work on the flightline (he was in the Air Force then). He had to check out a tool, set them down, got his tool and left without my sunglasses! He realized he forgot them and supposedly came right back in but the guys in there said they didn't know what he was talking about. Never did replace them. Since then I've bought cheapy pairs but they never fit my face right. I just try on a ton of them until one finally feels okay. I just looked on Vuarnet's website and am thinking of splurging again. I usually only wear sunglasses in the car but was walking the other day in the hot sun and thinking I should probably be wearing sunglasses on my walks. The price has more than doubled for those Vuarnet's, though. After paying, at most $13 a pair all these years, finding it hard to justify spending so much more. Plus, the closest place is a couple hours from here. I wouldn't buy them online, would have to try them on. So, just wondering if you have a favorite brand? My current pair I bought at some store in the mall, was on sale for about $10 or $12. One of the ear pieces broke off a couple years ago but I haven't replaced them.

Comments (67)

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For those who have Maui Jim's, I noticed they have an Asian fit. It doesn't explain what that means on their website but I'm guessing it fits Asian faces better? I have a very flat face, almost no cheekbones so I'm thinking I'll go check them out. There's a store that sells them up the road from me.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I don't need to try to impress people or flatter myself with a brand name shown on eyeglass frames. For me, sunglasses are to protect my eyes and aid vision on bright days, nothing more.

• Related Discussions

Do you have a favorite Junk Do-Dad ?

Q

Comments (6)
    Ya mean my fav Junk Do-Dads besides glass for totems and flowers? LOL I especially like funky style things that are handmade. Must take a pic of one of my latest treasures to show. The day I found a large coffee can full of chandy crystals for only $2. was a memorable day! No one but a dedicated YS/crafter/junker could understand that thrill. Other than that my list IS a mile long. I like anything that could be described as architectural, bling, antique, vintage, concrete, rock, or repurposed. Does that cover pretty much any ol' thing I might find cheap at a yard sale? Or sometimes not so cheap at a thrift or antique shop? I've also recently found a little old table for $2 and a very junky bench for $1.50 for my garden or garden house. They need help and I probably overpaid even at those low prices. My DH just shakes his head when I buy things like this. He thinks they're trash and he may be right. But I like them and know they can be reno'd.
    ...See More

Do you have a favorite ice cream flavor or brand?

Q

Comments (52)
    salgal- I have to agree with you about Lapp Valley Farm in Pa. When we live in CT we went to Lancaster County twice a year to visit the Amish. We found that farm when we were riding around. The ice cream could not be beat. The older Amish man told us he could wrap the ice cream for us so we could bring it back to CT & it would not thaw & he was right. Hubby has a sweet tooth so we always came back with at least 8-10 gallons.
    ...See More

Do you wear sunglasses?

Q

Comments (42)
    Yes, it's smart to do so just for general eye health. I have light coloured eyes and a very strong correction so it's imperative that I do so. I started wearing them in my early 20's because I hated the feeling of my eyes squinting up when I didn't. I still hate that feeling. I even wear them on cloudy days if there is any sense of glare off the roads.
    ...See More

Do you have a favorite brand of....

Q

Comments (45)
    I love the Kirkland leggings from Costco. I bought a pair in every color last year and I was sad to see they were gone. But I just went last week and they have them in stock again now! They are nice and thick more for street wear I think. They last really well. I was hesitant at first. I held them up and they looked like they were for a child size but they are definitely for adults and they feel great. I also got some very nice ones at the Gordmans store. Very good price.
    ...See More
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Buy them when I buy new eyeglasses at Zenni, using their sunglass lens option. Since they're prescription, they work well. Don't care if anyone else likes them, but I do like being able to see :)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Oh, you're so démodé ;-)

Have you had good luck with Zenni? They seem to have very attractive prices.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Yes! They get the prescription and fit right. Great prices too.

• jewels_ks
    4 years ago

I lost a few pairs of expensive sunglasses so I just buy cheap ones now. The pair I have now was around $15.00 from Marshalls.

• Michael
    4 years ago

My SeaSpec sunglasses are 3 for $120 (buy 2 get one free). A good value for my needs.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I'm with jewels.......I only buy the cheap ones. Too easily lost, broken or scratched.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I used to wear Revo, but switched to Maui Jim a decade ago.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

"I don't need to try to impress people or flatter myself with a brand name shown on eyeglass frames. For me, sunglasses are to protect my eyes and aid vision on bright days, nothing more."

I suggest you go into a reputable store that carries Maui Jim sunglasses, and see for yourself the difference between Maui Jim lenses and other sunglass lenses. The Maui Jim lenses do protect eyes very well, and the color and clarity is awesome.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I was a cheap sunglasses girl for decades. Until I finally broke down and bought a pair of Maui Jim glasses. OMG!!! What a difference they made! Everything is so sharp! I saw more improvement to my vision than I did after cataract surgery! And they will repair them very quickly and inexpensively. I'm a true believer.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Kath, I don’t know exactly what the Asian fit is, but the women’s glasses have the sizes (measurements) online so you can compare. I wear the Punchbowl (2 pair) and another I can’t recall that is frameless and more wrap-around for running.

My face is rather narrow, very narrow bridge, and my head in general is small. So I tried on a lot of brands and sizes before I found these that were comfy and fit well. Bought my first pair at a duty free shop. You are doing the right thing to go try on a lot of styles.

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

OMG....I forgot about "Vuarnets" LOL. Talk about a blast from the past!!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

I hardly ever wear sunglasses and if I do they would be cheap ones from the Dollar Tree.

Sue

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

lindsey, I looked and saw that many of this brand's sunglass products have glass lenses.

Bingo, they've discovered the obvious. Two of my three pairs of sunglasses have glass lenses, by my own choice. If you find yours clearer, maybe it's because they have glass lenses. Glass still outperforms even the newest plastics for clarity and optical accuracy. Or at least so my ophthalmologist confirmed when I asked him last year. And much more scratch resistant, no problem wiping them with any type of clean cloth, napkin, or paper towel.

My one pair with plastic lenses? I needed sunglasses without polarizing lenses for a specific use and that wasn't available in glass. Instead, I had to get tinted plastic. They're fine but not as clear as my others with glass lenses.

Buying this brand from an eyeglass store to have prescription lenses put in probably means one is just buying frames and the lenses get done by that store's normal lab. Maybe not but no reason for me to know one way or the other.

Enjoy what you have and I'll do the same, there will be no commission forthcoming for selling me what you like. I usually have to pay a premium to get glass prescription lenses (they're done by fewer and fewer labs) and the cost winds up being more than double what I see for this brand. I don't mention it to friends or family, they look like nameless sunglasses and that's fine.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I used to buy Carerras, but after losing one pair in the river and running over another pair, I now buy cheap sunglasses at the drug store. Ironically, the $20 pair I'm currently using has been with me for close to five years now. Can't keep from destroying the expensive ones, but the cheapies seem to be indestructible and live a charmed life!

• Chessie
    4 years ago

"I don't need to try to impress people or flatter myself with a brand name shown on eyeglass frames. For me, sunglasses are to protect my eyes and aid vision on bright days, nothing more."

I hope that you don't think folks that do wear brand names, are doing so to "impress people". That's silly. For what it's worth, neither of my sunglasses sport the brand on the frame. And the ones with glass lenses are by far, the better ones. I much prefer them.

• Bettina Hooper
    4 years ago

Maui Jim.

I've lived in the Caribbean for 39 years and have light blue eyes. I work outside and since discovering the brand 20 years ago, have worn Maui Jims exclusively. I wear the dark grey mirrored lenses- large sized lenses- and thick sides to block peripheral light. My face is narrow and they fit perfectly. They're expensive and last two years with near constant wear and cleaning. No cataracts yet!

If you aren't concerned about your eyes, but want them for the fashion, you ought to invest in a 50-85 dollar pair so you don't get distortions that make you trip or magnification of the sun's rays (yes, some can do that). Also make certain they have a strong, solid spring hinge for the arms and NEVER let anyone else wear them, not even for 'a minute'.....I've lost several pair of reading glasses to people who stretch out the frames. Get your husband a pair of Foster Grants as a 'hands off mine, honey' gift.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"I hope that you don't think folks that do wear brand names, are doing so to "impress people"

Why do expensive/designer handbags have prominent logos identifying the brand? Why do women who buy designer scarves tie them so that, again, a name or logo is visible? Why does Burberry sell so many products with its immediately recognizable plaid pattern when it offers many other options with less obvious identification and less popular? Although some of those do say Burberry on them. Why would that be?

• Michael
    4 years ago

Elmer, does your car have a BMW logo on it? Why? Because it's a brand and they want to sell the brand.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I think that's a poor comparison.

Does an YSL, or Burberry, or other designer scarf (I'm not familiar with this stuff) for $500 or more keep you warmer than a $25 one? Is it necessary to show the logo when it's tied or draped, does that keep the wearer warmer? Does a Gucci bag with its very recognizable pattern carry more stuff inside than one of the same dimensions that costs 80% less? Of course not.

Does a higher performance car offer the same experience as one costing 75% less? No, not close. I have other cars that are much less expensive and they're for specific purposes and not for the driving experience. Car models are familiar and recognizable to most people without seeing a logo or brand name, that's why it's a poor comparison. Without seeing a model name or insignia, would you have trouble telling a Smart from a Honda Civic from a Prius from a Ford Explorer from a Land Rover Discovery from a Tesla? No, of course not.

And no, I'm not trying to defend myself for saying one thing but contradicting myself by doing that very thing in a different context.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Why are you defending yourself? I didn't imply you were driving a BMW to impress anyone. BMW brands their car so that's it's recognized, and yes it's meant to impress others and influence them to buy one. Ask a BMW dealer and they will agree.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

"Buying this brand from an eyeglass store to have prescription lenses put in probably means one is just buying frames and the lenses get done by that store's normal lab. Maybe not but no reason for me to know one way or the other."

If you buy a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses and need prescription lenses, you have two options: (1) have your eye doctor send the frames to whatever lab they use for prescriptions lenses -- but you won't have Maui Jim prescription lenses, or (2) buy your Maui Jim sunglasses from an authorized Maui Jim dealer and they will have authentic Maui Jim prescription lenses put in your frame of choice.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

"Why do expensive/designer handbags have prominent logos identifying the brand? Why do women who buy designer scarves tie them so that, again, a name or logo is visible? Why does Burberry sell so many products with its immediately recognizable plaid pattern when it offers many other options with less obvious identification and less popular? Although some of those do say Burberry on them. Why would that be?"

Well handbags and scarves are a completely different story from sunglasses. And I agree with you, on them. It's why I refuse to buy such handbags or scarves. I hate the big flashy logos some makers uses. Most of those with such logos should pay the ladies to wear them, for advertising. I dislike Burberry for the same reason. I like nice clothes, and nice handbags. But I don't want a big flashy brand splattered all over the item. I can find plenty of quality accessories and clothing without that.

Running/athletic shoes - again a different story. Generally folks are not sporting them far the brand. I have worn nothing but Saucony for at least 15 years. I could not care less what they put on the shoe for their logo. Athletes wear shoes that work for them. Same is true for many other things.

True story - my first car - a 1973 Duster. Brand new. I told the dealer I wanted the dealership logo not added to the car. I was not buying it otherwise. They did as I asked. :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"BMW brands their car so that's it's recognized......"

Is what BMW does exceptional? Maybe it is exceptional, it's understated. It doesn't say BMW anywhere but on the logo - the hood and the truck emblems. Most other brands spell out their names more prominently with larger letters.

Are there any brands whose identity isn't clearly displayed one way or another? Any brands whose identity most people can't name simply by sight recognition?

• Michael
    4 years ago

Chessie, I've never owned a new car with a dealership logo. That's nothing exceptional. There was, or maybe still is, a trend among some youthful drivers to remove the ID badge from their car, or upgrade their model with a fictitious badge to hide what they really have, a base model.

Elmer, there's nothing wrong with identifying a car, a pair of sunglasses, a smoothie blender, or a pair of Merrill boots. Brand recognition isn't always about you or me, it's about customer awareness and increasing sales. I don't wear $190 Merrell brand boots to impress anyone, it's because they are the most comfortable fit for me and they last for many years.

If someone asks me about a vacuum cleaner, I'll recommend a Miele. Why, not because it's got a logo on it; because I believe it's the best quality and best value for the money. Not to impress.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Back to the subject of sunglasses.....I bought Zenni Rx sunglasses online and love them. Crystal clear and well fitting. They are black frames with a large lens, 90% grey, polarized, blu-blocker and anti-glare. I even have my initials monogrammed on the side. They look and feel much more expensive than they were.

• salonva
    4 years ago

I have found, like others, that when I buy the cheaper brands such as Target, that somehow I don't lose them! I used to wear prescription so that was another thing entirely. Since having lasik over 20 years ago, I now buy them anywhere. Until recently I would have a pair for years. Lately not so lucky.

I buy them at Target, Marshall's, TJM,. I always like to have a spare or 2 in the car just in case and those are usually my Dollar Tree specials.

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

ray ban's wayfarer...going on 3 1/2 years and not an issue!

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Regarding branding and logos - for the companies who put logos on their products (I can think of very few that don't) it's a form of marketing.

Some people buy designer products as a status symbol, some buy them because they like the product, others because they feel it's a good value, or they like the color, style, whatever. So what? People can buy whatever they want with their money and don't have to defend themselves for doing so.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

"People can buy whatever they want with their money and don't have to defend themselves for doing so."

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

That's true. But those who tend to crow about what they have and what they do should expect reactions from people with attitudes as Chessie described and as I described. If there are different ways to accomplish the same result, those who dislike the showiness of others will tend to prefer lower profile choices for themselves. And to not talk about their upscale/more expensive choices.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Ok, I'm not sure that I understand your word salad, but as long as people aren't jumping up and down screaming, "look at me, look at me, look at meeeeeee!!!!" it doesn't bother me if they wear their scarf with the label showing. Again, so what, who cares?

The people who have posted here are posting on topic about what brand of sunglasses they wear. I haven't seen any of them saying that they wear them so that they can draw attention to themselves. In fact, I rarely if ever see people doing that. We must travel in different circles.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

I bought my first pair of Maui Jim sunglasses when we were in Maui in early 1995. Before going there, I had lost my favorite pair of sunglasses, and figured I could get new ones while we were there. I have never lost a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, perhaps because I'm more obsessive about keeping track of them because they are expensive. I bought the most recent pair because I like the way they fold up to be so itty bitty. Really easy to carry in my purse or a pocket.

https://youtu.be/Br6KnmxAKso

https://youtu.be/A7OX6n0czY0

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

""look at me, look at me, look at meeeeeee!!!!""

Exactly. Thanks for saying it succinctly.

Many regulars here are folks of modest means. Is saying that one has 3 pairs of sunglasses that are a few hundred dollars a pop or more something useful, or instead maybe boastful?

• Chi
    4 years ago

My prescription ones are Tiffany brand - they are cute!

I didn't buy them for the brand but they were the ones I liked best at my eye doctor for my face shape.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

Lindsey_CA, thanks for the link to the foldable Maui Jim's. Those are going on my wish list!

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

You're welcome, Fun2BHere.

Yes, Elmer, all of my Maui Jim sunglasses have the SuperThin glass lenses. And I chose the Neutral Gray color lenses for all of them, too. The first two pair are identical. I got the second pair because I like to keep sunglasses in my car, so that I will have them when needed. And I got tired of having to get them out of the car when I wanted to be out in the backyard with sunglasses on, and then forgetting to put them back in the car. So, one pair stays in the car, and the second stays in the house. That model is no longer made (and I forget what it was called). And I got the third pair (model is called Stillwater -- SuperThin glass lenses, Monel metal frame) because I like how they fold up to be so small and easy to carry. I can easily keep them in my purse, so that when I go places with my Hubs in his car, or with my sister in her car, etc., I have sunglasses with me and don't need to suffer in the bright sunlight. And green eyes are, like blue eyes, more sensitive to sunlight than brown eyes.

Yes, they're expensive. But I got the first pair in March 1995. That's over 24 years ago. If you break down the money I've spent on sunglasses over the past 24+ years, it works out to less than $40 per year. Is that really such an ungodly amount of money for me to spend? Remember, I don't have kids that, by nature, require spending money on. Think of all the money I've saved over the past 40+ years that I could have been spending on kids - not to mention grandkids! Don't I have a right to spend it as I see fit?

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lindsay, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. Elmer, why do you have to make every post into an argument? I just asked a simple question. Thanks for everyone's replies. I don't care about name brands, didn't when I bought those $100 sunglasses in the 80s, loved them because the way they fit my face, nothing else. I've never had a good fitting pair other than those in all the years I've bought crappy sunglasses.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

Lindsey_CA - I have always gotten the neutral gray lenses in every pair I have ever bought. .

I too keep two pair, one always in the car, and one in my purse. I have found that to be extremely convenient for me. My BF does the same thing - he only wears Costas, and also prefers the glass ones.

I really don't see a discussion of favorite brands of sunglasses to be boastful - not at all. Sunglasses are simply too functional. And a necessity for quality, for many.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Many regulars here are folks of modest means. Is saying that one has 3 pairs of sunglasses that are a few hundred dollars a pop or more something useful, or instead maybe boastful?

If they indeed own three pairs of expensive sunglasses that would be an honest, factual answer to the original question and not at all boastful. What would you have them do, Elmer? Lie and tell everyone that they own one cheap pair from the dollar store or stay completely out of the thread?

By your logic, mentioning your high performance BMW, your second home and your extensive travels to Europe would be considered boasting. Should you never again mention those things because some cant afford a BMW, a second home or traveling to Europe?

And, please. If you are going to quote me, please don't snip just the words that fit whatever point you are trying to make. To do so, takes my meaning out of context.

I have no desire to further disrupt this thread nor do i wish to argue with you so i am going to bow out now. It always amazes me how the most innocent or innocuous of topics can go completely off the rails; I guess nothing should surprise me any more but it always does.

Kathsgrdn thanked DawnInCal
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

At the risk of bumping up the thread to revive an exhausted discussion, I want to say that I don't typically give a lot of advance thought to my comments so what comes out is what comes out. When any of you think something I've said is inappropriate, speak up in the thread or by message, as I myself did here earlier. It was nothing more than that. You may often disagree and saying so politely is something I also welcome. Brand boasting or other boasting is a pet peeve of mine and it's something I try to avoid doing myself but with normal human imperfection, I guess not always successfully.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

"Brand boasting or other boasting is a pet peeve of mine and it's something I try to avoid doing myself ..."

So Elmer avoids "brand boasting" by talking about his second home without saying if it was purchased as a previously-occupied home or custom built for him; and he avoids "brand boasting" about his extensive worldwide travels by not mentioning the airlines, whether he flies first class or business class, or the names of the hotels/resorts at which he stays. OK, got it.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

Lindsay_CA, I found a pair of pre-owned MJ Stillwater for 50% off on eBay. Hopefully, they won't be scratched. The seller seems to be pretty accurate with his descriptions based on his reviews, so fingers crossed that this pair will be in good condition!

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Since you've covered your sunglass collection and it's been a few months, maybe it's time to mention again your state pension/retirement plans, your medical plan, your Lexus (I wouldn't own one myself), the wine collection in your garage and your private reserve memberships in Napa. Why are you so angry all the time?

You caught me on the second residence. I was waiting to share a photo until the landscaping was done but here it is.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Elmer! Is that why you changed your avatar to a "O", because you own the Owlwood estate? :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Right neighborhood but different house.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Oooops...I mix up my manses sometimes. :-)

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

Nice try, Fuddy. Our wine collection, as you call it, is in a temperature- and humidity-controlled wine cellar. I have never said we have “private reserve memberships in Napa.”

And we all know that’s not your house - first, second, or otherwise. That’s the former Spelling estate.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I'm no less impressed to hear about your temperature and humidity controlled wine cellar than I was the first several times you mentioned it. Exactly the same reaction as those other times - probably like others, I was not impressed at all.

Yes, that's not my house but mine is just like that. Of course it is. And my temperature and humidity controlled wine collection is also in the wine cellar. Of course it is.