SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Pond Woes

bob_cville
4 years ago

We have a 1 1/2 acre pond on our property that was specifically designed as a swimming pond.

This weekend we found a common snapping turtle floating, dead, in the pond. Its somewhat distressing to think that something that reportedly can bite through a broom handle was living in a pond that I swim in.

I used a pool net to push it to a shallow spot to remove it and as I was figuring out how to move it without touching it, I noticed it moved!. Looking closer, something on it moved, I'm pretty sure it was a fresh water leech. Ewwww. And looking more closely aside from the 2 large ones, there were dozens and dozens of smaller ones. Ewwww. That is even more distressing to have found in a pond I swim in.

It may well be that the overload of blood-sucking parasites is what caused the turtle to die.

Additionally this weekend a friend decided to try the zipline that crosses the pond. The zipline has a "kettle ball" attached to a rope that can be used to pull the zipline handle up to the platform. Once you have the handle, the kettle ball can then be released and it will glide down taking the rope out of your way. She slid down and down and down and didn't see that she was catching up with the kettle ball, and ran into it smashing her hand between the handle and the kettle ball. She seemed to be is quite a lot of pain and is sure that two fingers are broken, but she refused to go to the ER. She was going to get checked out today, but I haven't heard the results yet.

Comments (55)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz