SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new2gardening_09

Water Hyacinth woes... advice needed, please help!

new2gardening_09
14 years ago

I have a 150 gallon tank that I'm wintering my goldfish in. A friend gave me her water lettuce & water hyacinth because they would have died in her pond. I put a few of them in my tank but I need some advice. The water lettuce seems to be doing fine, but the water hyacinth's leaves are starting to curl and dry up.

I have 13 young goldfish, the tank is in my Dad's heated shop, and the water is setting at about 54 degrees F. I feed the fish once a day and they seem to be doing well. I did not add anything to the water when I filled the tank and placed the plants in right after. I put the fish in two days later and they have been there for about 5 days now. We set up a halogen light that runs 10 hours a day and a filtration system that runs constantly.

I would really like the plants to survive because besides the fact that they give my goldfish protection I'm also hoping that they will reproduce and use the roots for laying their eggs. If you can help me I would really appreciate it! I know nothing about either of these plants and information is hard to come by from the research I have done on the internet.

Thanks!!

Sara

Comments (10)