SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtrot

Looking for 36" french door refrigerator without ice maker problems

mtrot
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My wife wants a french door refrigerator with ice/water in the door, but after researching for about three weeks now, I have not been able to find a single model that doesn't have scores of terrible reviews about horrible leaking/freezing up/lack of ice production. It seems that owners will end up having two, three, or even more technician visits, without success. Many others do receive replacement refrigerators, but the same problems seem to occur with the new units.

It does not seem to matter which brand I research; they all have these problems. Yes, you can buy an extended service contract, but those generally only last about three years. And even with an extended service contract, owners are finding that the techs who come out are unable to actually get the refrigerators to work properly, so the extended contract is not worth all that much.

By far, the best reviewed model I have been able to find is the Bosch B21CT80SNB counter depth model, but it lacks a filtered water dispenser. It has its ice maker located in the freezer section. This unit has a 5.0 out of 5.0 rating in the Lowes reviews.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-800-20-7-cu-ft-Counter-depth-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Black-Stainless-Steel-Black-Stainless-Steel/1000379113

Bosch also has newer similar models that DO have a filtered water dispenser inside the refrigerator, but they are 71.5 inches tall, which would require cutting out about 1.5 inches of our cabinet wood that is above the refrigerator. The wood would have to be cut right at the level of the cabinet doors, which my wife is not very keen on. cabinet above current refrigerator

Any tips or suggestions much appreciated.

Comments (26)