OT - our trip to Scandinavia and London

msmeow

We had a very nice trip! I loved Damme and Brugge in Belgium. I could see myself spending a couple of weeks in the summer relaxing in Damme! There was very strong and cold wind blowing in Copenhagen. The wind caused us to be a couple of hours late docking and made it difficult to walk at times! We were supposed to spend a day in Skagen, DK, but the wind was so strong there we couldn’t even dock. There were around a dozen cargo ships anchored waiting for the weather to turn so they could dock. The temperature was warm in Oslo but it rained off and on.

We were late arriving at our hotel in London due to horrendous traffic! But as soon as we checked in we walked to the Tower of London and spent a couple of hours there. We went back first thing Sunday morning to see the Crown Jewels. We also walked through a lot of Hyde Park, toured Kensington Palace and the Banqueting House, rode a boat on the Thames, and walked across Tower Bridge and back. We ate fish and chips and had dinner in a pub and pretty much did everything we had hoped to pack into our day and a half in London!

Donna

SaveComment9Like2
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vee_new

It sounds as though you had a wonderful trip Donna. Thank you for sharing it and the photos with us.

Save     Thanked by msmeow
yoyobon_gw

Thanks for sharing Donna !

friedag

Very good, Donna! As for the wind: the weather makes every trip unique. Hope you think so, too. :-)

kathy_t

What a lovely trip! Thanks for telling us about it, Donna.

vee_new

Donna, now you are into all things English (and Scandinavian) did you know that the photo you took of Queen Victoria's statue outside Kensington Palace was produced by her daughter Princess Louise? The offspring who dared to stand up to her Mother and made a life for herself quite unconventional for those times.

The Statue of Queen Victoria

2 Likes Save     Thanked by msmeow
msmeow

Vee, if they told us that about the statue I didn't remember! LOL Good for Princess Louise. :)

I would love to visit all the London places again in a less busy season, so I can reflect on the history. It's hard to spend time in quiet reflection when there are hundreds of people pushing and jostling for the best photo op.

Donna

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Donna, regarding the crowds of tourists....it always amuses me that travel shows are filmed at various museums and sights when there are no tourists or tourists are blocked during filming so they cannot ruin the shot.

Ditto for those lovely cruises and tour boats, always showing the empty swimming pools and lagoons with perhaps one couple when in fact they are teeming with tourists and travelers !

carolyn_ky

Donna, my daughter and I did a tour of Scandinavia with an add-on of three nights in St. Petersburg last summer. It was quite a nice trip and quite different from other places we have visited. London is my very favorite destination, one that I can never get enough of.

Rosefolly

Nice to hear about RP travels. Glad you had such a good time!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Architecture Back to the Futuro: Tour a Lovingly Restored ‘Spaceship’ Home
Travel back to the ’60s Space Age with a rare glimpse inside an original House of the Future
Full Story
The Hardworking Home Where to Put the Laundry Room
The Hardworking Home: We weigh the pros and cons of washing your clothes in the basement, kitchen, bathroom and more
Full Story
Most Popular 5 Ways to Pare Down Your Stuff — Before It Gets in the Door
Want to free up some room around the house? Rethink gift giving, give yourself a shopping mantra and just say, ‘No, thank you’ to freebies
Full Story