SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hafamily5

Powdered detergent and saponification?

hafamily5
4 years ago

I've been spending some time here in the Laundry Room as I prepare to buy a new washing machine and up my laundry game a bit. I haven't even ordered the new washer yet, but decided to try out some powdered Cheer in my old agitator washer after reading about how much many poster's here love it. (I've been happily using Kirkland liquid or pods on whites and Mrs Meyers or 7th gen on darks for years).

I tried the Cheer on a couple of dark loads today, using warm water (not sure of the precise temp) and was surprised to find that the dried laundry smelled really "off" somehow. At first, I couldn't place the smell, but soon realized that is was a strong smell of.....bar soap, and I think I know why.

I use a natural deodorant that is oil based, and it leaves a little residue behind on the underarms of my shirts and blouses. I believe that the sodium carbonate in the Cheer actually saponified the oils left in my tops! Since liquid detergents do not contain sodium carbonate, it has never been a problem before.

I find this really funny and interesting, but also sad, as I was hoping to use powdered detergents exclusively in my new front-loader once it arrives. Any thoughts on how to stop this from happening? I'm thinking getting the oils completely out of the shirts is the first step, but I don't want to have to pre-treat them all, since the Kirkland and other liquids seem to do the job just fine. I'm also not comfortable using really hot water on darks. Would ammonia or sttp be the thing to try here?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (7)